Europa League Thread

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by kgilbert78, Sep 18, 2012.

1. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Most of the " Above" is right,they where not even as good as a second BL team...they had a plan and we simply didn't have someone like arrange on the pitch.But Lascho has pointed out a number of good points :)

www.fotobahn.com

2. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any expectations for the home match (hopefully no away game at Borussia-Park) against Fenerbahce Istanbul? We definitely have to beat them in order to keep our chances of advancing alive ... but it's hard to believe in a victory against this CL-experienced team after our latest performances.

After all, they got outplayed in their last league game as well (1:4) ... so they shouldn't bristle with huge confidence, either.

3. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope our squad shows some respect and responds to one of our legends advise about how to play.
    As Reiner Bonhof stated..."we must play till we drop"'a simple old school concept.Something German teams used to have and it came to them naturally and the world knew it.And they feared it.German teams did press and play till the very final seconds!!!
    But then those guys didn't have tape and video's to watch over their opponents,they didn't have one physiotherapist assigned to each one of them...fancy houses and luxury sports car'slike they do these days.Oh and these ugly girlie Neon Colored boots they wear nowadays !!!The kind of mentality that likes of Stefan Effenberg used to have...and probably with Effie departure it died in our club and we are still in search of it.Motivators with minds & the will- power of steel that would take it to the opponent till the very bitter end.
    If our boys do play till they drop.The next to games are Doable so to speak and we do have the skills to put them away.Two wins at home in the next few days...and our momentum will flourish and come back:)

www.fotobahn.com

4. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seems like De Jong is not starting.De Camargo & Hanke at Storm !!!!!

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.borussia.de/english/seas...]=6095&cHash=3540aed16ef9ac2f93e4bf5295a44da2

I'm very curious which team will start tonight. There are supposed to be some changes once again, especially after Dominguez' & Herrmann's injuries. After all, MATS thankfully got fit for this important match.

We need the 3 points (it's high time for a victory after 6 games without a win), if we want to keep our chances of advancing alive ... but well, we know how tough it's gonna be to defeat a CL experienced top team like Fenerbahce. I expect that our players give them a great fight, that's vital when knowing about our current deficits. Hopefully, they underestimate us a little bit and are mentally tatterned after their last couple of results & the story around their former skipper Alex (who got fired despite being the fans' darling).

Just curious how many Turkish fans are at Borussia-Park tonight. Our Nordkurve surely has to be in a great form is we want to avoid an away match in supportive aspect...

Auf geht's Jungs, kämpfen und siegen!!!

Btw: Nice story, isn't it? ;)

http://www1.wdr.de/themen/sport/borussiafenerbahce100.html

6. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It seems that Hanke (not even on the bench) & Jantschke aren't playing either. Hmm...

Here's the expected starting eleven for tonight:

Ter Stegen - Nordtveit, Brouwers, Stranzl, Daems - Ring, Marx, Tolga, Xhaka, Arango - De Jong

Lots of changes again (as for the Limassol match), don't know what to expect. No idea why Hanke isn't even on the bench. Jantschke (who was rather poor lately and apparently also not fit) gets replaced by Nordtveit and not Zimmermann ... well, that's not so surprising. Hopefully, Marx (without match practice) & Tolga (who should be very motivated against his Turks) will take their chance and do a good job behind Xhaka. Luuk de Jong gets another opportunity to step up and score his first international goal for us.

I'm not online anymore tonight, so let's hope for an improved performance and the vital win! Bis morgen.

7. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Marx? I almost forgot that he's still on the team. Didn't get a single minute for more than half a year...

8. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Goooooooooooooooool de Jong!
    We didn't look very good so far; however, maybe it's going our way now.

9. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Stupid foul Ring, Fener score with a freekick. Stupid, needless.

10. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Another 4 goals against. I don't see any improvement, and I don't know how and when it might come. Another bad game, after lots of bad games before; not a single positive point tonight.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing that realy concerns me. This team is leaking goals--and wasn't last season. That's not on Reus leaving. Was Dante *that* important?? Or Neustadter? Have our guys suddenly forgotten how to play??

12. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perhaps the collective of the 3 players that left us???? Or is there deeper problems about our current nose dive?
    One thing is for certain,either the club was just lucky last season and also had a few brilliant players ( that left us)
    Or favre is not the genius we all thought,generally speaking as an all round coach..no doubt his knowledge of the game and his attention to the most minute details is stellar...but the combo of this squad + favre is not working right now...and let's face it we have already mixed it up and tried all possible formations!
    I just saw the highlights...except the free kick,the rest of the goals we conceived where unnecessary ...we looked tired and flat:( and definitely NOT LIKE A MOTIVATED team that is playing at home with a lot of motivation and is trying to redeem itself from a 5-0 loss and bring momentum to the club :(
    This is a disastrous nose dive we are spinning in right now....the Limassol draw is now presenting its worth and the 3 points we should have collected.....what an embarrassing loss,what a dark situation for the team and the coach....specially with all the money we spent ...thank god i couldnt watch the game due to Internet problems...
    :( :( :( :(

13. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    It looked like ter Stegen and Xhaka almost started a fight on their way to the locker room after the first half. Eberl after the break: "Let's hope they show the same energy on the field as in the locker room". He also started to talk like a coach after the game, about a lack of spirit, mentality problems, the basics of soccer from the back to the attack... I've never heard Eberl criticizing the team like a coach. I guess Max and Favre will have a lot to talk about during the next weeks; and it won't just be "player X has to pass more precisely, and player Y has to make a different run"... Our problems are different.

14. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well am totally with Max about our current situation.To Eberls credit...he was a relentless defensive work horse.the type that would play till he dropped.Very similar to Tobias levels but much smarter!
    Btwn Ter Stegen and xhaka without losing a heart beat...I will support Ter Stegen....granit is another expensive player we bought with a lot of hope..and let's not forget his interviews and claims about how bad he wants to get on that pitch to prove his quality...so far nothing :(
    Inside the locker room is no surprise if there is a dark hole ,a dark hole that will tear this team apart...if we lose at home on Sunday to Einteracht.A loss there and we are in the same situation as the Michael frontzecks era just before he got fired.Granted he was fired at the very end of the second half of the season...but he didn't have such momentum behind his back such as the one Favre had to start off this new season...also he didn't have all those Euros to go shopping as he pleased in the player market! Therefor taking that into consideration are situation is very similar to frontzecks even tho we are in the first half of the season:(
    From the EL we have made some extra money....but we definitely didn't achieve any positive experience..because of the ugly situation that he squad is drowning in:(
    It's also safe to say we are out of the El,what an embarrassment ....a German team playing at home in venue such as the borussia park that mindless to say it was SOLD OUT with so much history...and pride,loosing to a Turkish side.I do understand they have international experience and some players from abroad ...but to come to Germany and win....with 4 goals needless to say,it's just not acceptable...am not taking away from them.They won fare and square...but it's a sad reality that a club such as Gladbach no matter what situation it's dealing with..could not handle a Turkish side,but then we could not handle Limassol either.That German fighting mentality and never give up until the final whistle is gone...that pride and special respect of giving it their 110 % no matter how good the opponent...and to make up for what advantage the opponent has with extra running and bleeding on that pitch is DEAD!
    Am very sad...can't let this club go...but am also very tired ..just so tired to go thru all these ups and downs,one step ahead and 3 steps back...no matter what we do,this ship seems destined to sink:(
    This club and squad..was playing its debut tonight after 16 years of missing in Europe...and we didn't have Barcelona or Real as opponents...for fackkss sakes...we where playing a Turkish side.These guys should have fighted with tooth and nail..and managed to get a result.This is a proud German club playing at its new modern stadium in front of a sold out crowd.Fans that are not Rich,they spend their hard earned money to come to the games and support their town and tradition...but then that Die Hard mentality is just to much work..and pushes them out of their comfort zone..man this sucks:( :(
    Honestly someone with that old school mentality such as Effie can brig respect and fear to its players,the motivation a player needs to go out there and dominate with authority:(

Soooooo Pissed

:(

www.fotobahn.com

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's pretty shocking. Well, it was obvious that both players (and others as well) lost their heads immediately after the 1:2, when our 5-minute lasting "total confusion" was mainly caused by some unbelievable blackouts/turnovers of both players.

Somehow we witnessed a "dejavu" of the Kiev home game last night (and I was so naive to believe they had learned from this CL quali match), just with the difference that we created more chances but played even worse. Once again, our opponents managed to score from almost any chance and once again our players invited them through silly behaviour (free-kicks) & mistakes. And once again we also lacked fortune in decisive situations (1:1 & 1:2 after free-kicks, whereas Arango's free-kick went wide the post, 2 clear red cards against the Turks not given, Arango & De Camargo missing two 100 % scoring opportunities ahead of the 1:3 etc.). What was pretty worrying & annoying, are the easy turnovers in midfield (especially by Tolga & Xhaka, who both totally disappointed) and the lack of fighting spirit/strength in duels. And conceding 4 goals in a home game just a few days after a 0:5 in Dortmund simply leaves one speechless! No idea why this team lacks so much confidence these days and often falls apart after conceding a goal ... is it just a mental problem or are there deeper reasons behind this crisis? :confused:

Anyway, we're already (very likely) out of the international competition now and can fully focus on the Bundesliga. Surely disappointing, when knowing how long we had waited for being back in Europe ... but it's definitely no handicap to totally focus on the BL, hence.

The current deficits of the team contradict Favre's mentality (strong defence, fast counters, but also good passing with much ball possesion), so it's pretty confusing to see the team doing exactly the opposite (sloppy passing, slow movement, long balls etc.) of what the manager teaches them. However, let's also not forget that we need patience with this newly-formed young team and keep cool heads after the first real crisis under Favre. Hopefully, he'll manage to fix the problems soon.

16. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just wondering.We still have the second legs waiting for us against all the teams in our group..don't we?
    What if this team picks up a point or three against the French and also grabs a victory or two is the return legs?
    Right now we have hit rock-bottom,and sometimes u need to hit rock boots in order to climb back up...it's a food thing it's happening now instead of the 2nd half of the season!

www.fotobahn.com

17. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    NEXT UP!

Olympique de Marseille

Under current circumstance am not sure what to even expect...a defeat seems inevitable ,i just hope we wouldn't get "Man Handled"on home turf for a second time in less than a month :(

www.fotobahn.com

18. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I try not to care about this game, and will probably succeed. Been to Bremen, going to the Hannover game on Sunday, both probably not really fun; and I'm going on vacation in Lisbon now until Sunday. Have fun!

19. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I still have some faith in Favre,there is no doubt about his tactical skills and knowledge of the game...he deserves at least half a season:)

Call me crazy...but a win against OM on home turf ...can turn thing around!
    I can bet on it.The Buli may bee our priority and it is, relegation battle is tough and we have all experienced that..but an international victory ...will lift us high enough to get our confidence back!

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To be honest, I almost don't care about this game anymore (we're already out anyway after the disappointing results against Limassol & Fenerbahce). And that's pretty shocking (isn't it?) when knowing how long we've been waiting for the return to Europe.

21. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't understand the attitude here,yes I am as upset if not more..than anyone of you Gladbach fans here.. But c'mon how could you not possibly care...anything positive will create much needed momentum...plus as Uwe mentioned ...we have waited so long...payed such high price..to walk back into euro competitions...so even in sun confusing moments and low times at Borussia how could we turn our backs...
    Specially when Mlapa just scores our 2 Torrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...against a motivated French side that is currently competing with PSG????
    We need a win here in EL,not so much to for Europe but for the resurrection of this new team that is trying t find its identity ....I hope we can win this here at the park...lets face it nobody gave us a chance,but we are almost there:)
    Very glad to see Mlapa in such crucial game ...scoring for us,this is HUGE :)

www.fotobahn.com

Dage repped this.
  22. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with your point...waiting so long to enter Europe...but turning your back is not the right attitude...we are after all very proud fans and we have never turned away and not have cared when Our club is out on the pitch:(

23. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't turn my back ... I just don't pay much attention to international games anymore after the Fenerbahce game & our debacles in Dortmund & Bremen. Today's impressive & deserved 2:0 win against Marseille after a nervous start (it's good to know that our defence can still be great on certain days) is a nice moral boost and kept our slim chances of advancing alive ... but the game in Hannover next Sunday is clearly more important for me.

Superb goal from Mlapa after just coming in, but missing that 1000 % scoring opportunity for the 3:0 was quite embarrassing. Unfortunately, we paid a prize for this victory ... hopefully, De Jong's & Jantschke's (who was brought to hospital) injuries aren't serious.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2013/matches/round=2000356/match=2009943/index.html

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...orussia-mgladbach-15_olympique-marseille.html

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/uefa/spielrunde/europa-league/2012-13/-1/tabellenrechner.html

PS: Herrmann did a cleary better job than Xhaka behind De Jong.

24. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Xhaka ..hummmmm,i have a feeling he may very well be on his way to establishing himself as the most expensive " Bench Warmer" in Glabach history.I don't mind it one bit...the guy seems more like a liability for this squad than anything else...he either needs time to develop like a productive BL player and prove his worth..or simply start packing and leave the Park:(
    More concerned about Jantschke and De Jong than what becomes of Xhaka...as for the euro competitions,I think we have more than a slim chance of advancing....but there will be enough confidence created out of this international victory...to perhaps keep us afloat for the fixture against 96, i personally am very optimistic about the effects of this victory against a solid French side...that probably came into last nights game with absolute confidence to take away at least 1 point considering our most recent debacle at Bremen:)

www.fotobahn.com