PBP: Europa Group D: Newcastle vs Bordeaux, October 4

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by JaredSS07, Oct 1, 2012.

1. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]vs[​IMG]

3:05pm ET live​
    Fox Soccer Plus​

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Great, no HD again. Thanks DirecTV.

Thx,

Jay!

3. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think we can afford to play the reserves in this one, and if we don't win I think it's looking tough to progress in the competition. We've also been playing quite... Poorly? Well Shit to be frank. Looking at the results so far has anyone played well other than Ba and HBA? I'll start to get worried if we don't turn in a performance soon.

Oh yeah and I saw a stat today that we try more long balls per game than anyone else in the PL.

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    If two teams per group go through, I think we'd be OK with a loss here. If it's one of those "all group winners plus some of the highest-pointed seconds" I'd say we have to go for it.

Thx,

Jay!

5. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I'm not nervous for the next two games. I've read in several places that Pardew is going to continue with playing a second squad for this game and I think that is going to be a mistake. Bordeaux is actually taking Europa seriously and is making that the team's first priority. They have a coach who is known to be try different tactics, be innovative, and attacks like crazy. With defense being a problem for the team right now, I think we should field a strong back line to try to counter. If we lose at home to Bordeaux, I think we are fighting to be one of the top second place teams to get through to the knockout round and I really don't want to be sweating this out our last few group games because Pardew dropped the ball for this game. I think we can get a result with the following line up if he is going to insist on a second squad:

Elliot
    Anita-Willo-Good/Tavernier-Santon
    ---Bigirimana--Perch-------
    SAMeobi--Vuckic----Ferguson
    -------Shola-------
    Bench:
    Harper
    Good/Tavernier
    Streete
    Jonas
    Amalfitano
    Marveaux/Obertan
    Cisse

Reasoning:
    GK: Elliot over Harper because he is in the better form and has the better reflexes right now.
    Def: Anita is the best right back at the club right now; Santon is the first choice LB; Willo unfortunately is the best CB option we have right now; Tavernier or Good as the other CB because I think we're better off with Perch at DM, will explain in a moment, and want a real defender in the middle next to Willo, I'd rather see Good but figure Tavernier can play there since he has already played CB in Europa.
    DM: Bigi covers more ground than any other CM we have right now. He seems to have some dead ball skills and doesn't appear out of control with his play like some other DMs who will remain nameless. I think Perch's best position is at DM. He sits in front of the back four and acts like an anchor and fifth defender. I'm not saying he's Makelele, but he's doing a fair impression. He is not a RB and while Anita does a good job at both RB and DM, he is better at RB and Perch is better in the middle.
    AMs: SAMeobi over Obertan is easy for me. Obertan is all speed and no substance. He tracks back worse than Robert and is more than full of himself. He offers nothing but passes, has he ever put a quality cross (ball in the air) into the box, and shots that are from poor positions and does not link up well with the overlapping defender. SAMeobi offers the same speed with a little more flair and imagination; while willing to track back and defend. Ferguson over Marveaux because right now he looks like our best left sided midfielder and offers very good crossing skills with speed and good two way play. Vuckic because I think he is starting to round into form. He looked dangerous in the ManU game before getting taken off and I think he has the skills to act like an advanced playmaker with a little more confidence and the playing time is getting him that.
    FWD: Shola very simply is the best target forward we have at the moment. Ba is good but he's not that brute that just out muscles everyone and is a typical target guy. Ba's skill set is a little different. That Shola is the best we have at it right now is either shows how much he has come on in the last 18 months, or a sad testament of our strike force, or a little of both. With Ferguson providing crosses from the left and Vuckic and his brother playing off him from behind and out on the right I think having a target forward who can hold the ball up, gives you good one touch passes off or flicks, and will fight for the ball in the air in the box is who we need with this line up.

6. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle United (4-3-3): Rob Elliot; Danny Simpson, Mike Williamson, James Perch, Shane Ferguson; Vurnon Anita, Cheick Tiote, Yohan Cabaye; Papiss Cisse, Shola Ameobi (c), Gabriel Obertan

Substitutes: Steve Harper, Davide Santon, Gael Bigirimana, Dan Gosling, Hatem Ben Arfa, Sammy Ameobi, Demba Ba

7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not my first-choice XI but that's a strong-ish side, especially with Man United on Sundy.

8. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent run & cross from Obertan and Shola keeps scoring in European matches... what a beautiful calm finish.

Newcastle up 1-0 now.

9. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shola with some skill, Simpson with the cross, Henrique with class finish. Simple.

10. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0, Cisse on a cross from Ferguson. Third straight game with an assist from a cross from Fergie and he's got to be making if difficult on Pardew not to start him going forward.

11. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elliott apparently suffered a groin injury. That's a bit of a worry.

12. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Krul isn't back for ManU this weekend it looks like Alnwick could make the bench. Would that be his first appearance on the bench?

13. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First in the group after this match. Guess Pardew is taking the competition seriously after all.

14. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was hoping we'd take the competition seriously and use it as a springboard to finally get going this season. Hopefully that happens, this was our best performance of the season quite easily. I thought we moved the ball really well, Cabaye looked like his old self, as did Tiote. Not sure if Bordeaux are ordinary or if we made them look like an ordinary side.

15. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0, that's great. Too bad I missed it. Anyone spot any match highlights on youtube or someplace like that?

16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Certainly didn't expect the result going in, but Bordeaux was completely crushed after the third goal and we could coast home.

Ferguson is looking better and better. He's gotta be pressing Jonas for time. Unless Pardew values Jonas' EPL experience more.

Tiote to me is starting to scare me. Back to his card-a-game ways.

Thx,

Jay!

17. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Standings after 2 games:

Newcastle - 4 pts, +3 GD
    Bordeaux - 3 pts, +1 GD
    Brugge - 3 pts, -2 GD
    Maritimo - 1 pt, -2 GD

Next two games are basically a home-and-home with Brugge.