Euro 2016 qualifying groups

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by waitforit, Feb 23, 2014.

1. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Here's the draw

[​IMG]

• Group A: Netherlands, Kazakhstan, Iceland, Latvia, Turkey, Czech Republic
    • Group B: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Andorra, Cyprus, Wales, Israel, Belgium
    • Group C: Spain, Luxembourg, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Slovakia, Ukraine
    • Group D: Germany, Gibraltar, Georgia, Scotland, Poland, Republic of Ireland
    • Group E: England, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia, Switzerland
    • Group F: Greece, Faroe Islands, Northern Ireland, Finland, Romania, Hungary
    • Group G: Russia, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Montenegro, Austria, Sweden
    • Group H: Italy, Malta, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Norway, Croatia
    • Group I: Portugal, Albania, Armenia, Serbia, Denmark

I want to thank Greece for having all the luck in the draw and taking us with them

2. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My picks for Euro 2016 qualified teams

France
    1.Netherlands, Czech Republic
    2.Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina
    3.Spain, Ukraine
    4. Germany, Poland
    5.England, Switzerland
    6.Greece, Hungary
    7. Sweden, Russia
    8.Italy, Croatia
    9.Portugal, Serbia

Best Runner-Up: Wales

Play-Offs:
    Turkey, Belarus, Scotland, Slovenia, Romania, Austria, Bulgaria, Denmark.

With Denmark, Turkey, Scotland and Romania reaching the Euro.

3. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #3 Gilbertsson, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    Details about the groups and teams: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying

My predictions:

A: First position for Netherlands. Czech Republic and Turkey will decide about the second place. Czech Republic has one sad situation with Turkey at EURO 2008. Czechs had 2-0 and since 75th minute they got three goals and lost 2-3. Really amazing match to witness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008_Group_A

Czechs will be motivated for sure. They will play more rational. Lets hope that they can make it.:thumbsup:

B: First position for Belgium. I hope that Israel could achieve second position (Yossi Benayoun).:) Also I would like to see Gareth Bale on this EURO since we haven't seen Ryan Giggs (Wales).:thumbsdown: It would be hard for them.:thumbsdown: Bosnia-Herzegovina has ethnic, political and religious tensions in the last weeks, hard to see some firm unity (Serbs, Muslims and Croats) in the future, unless if they continue to use mostly Muslim players as usual. Better Serbian and Croatian players rather choose Serbia and Croatia as usual.

C: First position for Spain. Ukraine, Slovakia and Macedonia could bring equal and defensive approaches.:rolleyes:
    Ukraine has good chances to win the second position and they could be very motivated because of current protests in their country.

D: First position for Germany. Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Poland will bring similar tactical approaches. I think that some teams will lose points in Georgia. It's always hard against teams oriented on strict defense and different type of audience. I don't think that Poland can respond on Scottish and Irish running segment, because they invest everything in that part.:)

E: England and Switzerland could provide dramatic matches for first position. Slovenia and Lithuania will probably fight for play-offs. But Slovenia also can surprise England and Switzerland.

F: Hardest group to decide, because this group is oriented strictly on defense. First position will take Greece, because they won against Romania in last play-offs and they are much more experienced in these matches. Romania and Hungary will decide about the second position. Some teams will lose points against Northern Ireland. Portugal and Russia already did in the last Qualifications for World Cup 2014.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Group_F

G: Sweden and Russia will decide about the first position. Austria could make bigger surprise if they arrange their team.

It would be nice to see these Austrian players:
    Andreas Ivanschitz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Ivanschitz
    David Alaba: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Alaba

H: Italy and Croatia will decide about the first position. We can expect matches in euphoric Napoli, Palermo. So far Italy hasn't won against Croatia. They played six matches and Croatia achieved three victories with three draws. Goal difference was 8-4. But tradition can always be broken.:D
    Bulgaria could surprise these two teams because nobody knows too much about them and they have took points against Italy in the last cycle (2-2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Group_B

Norway has also interesting tradition in the past, but today they are not so great. Azerbaijan plays very defensive, they don't lose easy, they base everything on draws (1-6-3).:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Group_F

Croatia VS Bulgaria: 2-2-1 (6-5 goal difference)
    Croatia VS Norway: 2-1-0 (5-3 goal difference)
    Croatia VS Malta: 5-1-0 (16-4 goal difference)
    Croatia VS Azerbaijan: 0-0-0 (no matches)

I: Portugal and Denmark will take the first two positions.

But I still think that European Championship should have only 16 teams. Much stronger competition and much exciting. Group stage won't be interesting like before. Some teams will finally get their chance for participation, but I doubt that they can provide adequate responses against traditionally stronger teams.:thumbsdown:

New Serbian coach Ljubinko Drulovic spent 11 seasons in Portuguese national league, so he understands Portuguese approach, their tactical assignments and measures during their preparations.

Positive elements:

- we could see some great players: Gareth Bale, Kolbeinn Sigþórsson, Alfreð Finnbogason, Yossi Benayoun...
    - we will meet new fan groups.
    - popularization of football will be much wider.
    - higher financial assets for TV stations and football institutions.:cool:

4. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Having 24 teams is going to make it great for some countries on the outside looking in. Being Scottish, when i saw the draw, I immediately thought the worst, but having let it sunk in for a few hours, i think we are in for a great chance at qualifying in either second place, or via the playoffs.

We are a much better side than many of the teams that will finish 3rd in their groups. The only way we can blow this, is by finishing 4th or god forbid, lower in our group. The way we are setup though, I think at least third place is a real possibility. Georgia will be the team that makes or breaks it for Poland, Scotland and Ireland - whoever drops the most points against Georgia will be the team the loses out. At the moment, i see that as being Ireland. Fortunately for Scotland, and the way we play, i can see us holding Germany to a draw in Glasgow which in the end will put us through.

I took a stab at the group and ended up with this.

Germany: 28 pts
    Scotland: 16 pts
    Poland: 16 pts
    Ireland: 13 pts
    Georgia: 8 pts
    Gibraltar: 0 pts

"We'll be coming, we'll be coming, we'll be coming down the road, when you hear the noise of the Tartan Army boys, we'll be coming down the road".

5. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Expanding to 24 teams= moronic

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If done correctly expanding to 24 teams could also help evenly distribute powerful teams. Within the 16 team setup there were instances of "Groups of death" with some other Groups looking way too weak.

With this format it would be easier to make all the Dominant teams seeds in the first round and have more competitive balance in each group fairly.

That should make for better knockout rounds too.

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that point about the uneven distribution of group strenghts is down to another reason... the last two Euro Cups we've had two weak co-hosts taking up the top seeds - Austria & Switzerland in 2008 and Poland & Ukraine in 2012, and with those two teams taking two of only four seeds that meant a lot of good teams in the 2nd pot... Anyhoo - I really hate the 24 team number as it means 4 3rd placed teams qualifying for the knockout stages, and it mean there will be less intensity in the group stage matches... the good teams will save their energy for the knockout stages... the "magic number" of points needed to make it out of the group will be 4 instead of 6, and once a team gets their 4 points, won't care about their last group games... any stage of a sporting competition that doesn't elimiate at least 50% of the teams is in my opinion delegitimized.

Anyhoo, about the qualification groups... can't see any of the big guns missing out but now games like Iceland vs. Latvia, Hungary vs. Finland, etc. are now genuine qualification battles as opposed to glorified friendly games like before.... I actually think the qualifiers could be pretty interesting with so many groups difficult to predict.... here are my "informed" predictions ;)

• Group A: Netherlands, Kazakhstan, Iceland, Latvia, Turkey, Czech Republic
    - Holland should win this, but the 2nd spot is really up for grabs... I think Turkey will probably get it but Czech Rep will battle for it, and watch out for Iceland! I reckon Turkey joins Holland, and Iceland cause a surprise and make the playoffs again..

• Group B: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Andorra, Cyprus, Wales, Israel, Belgium
    - pretty open group .... Belgium are probably the best all round and should qualify but I reckon like a lot of groups, the next places will be a dogfight - I say Bosnia for 2nd but Wales to make 3rd....

• Group C: Spain, Luxembourg, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Slovakia, Ukraine
    - Spain should win easily and Ukrain to qualify for second 3rd place pretty much evenly matched imo with the exception of Luxembourg...

• Group D: Germany, Gibraltar, Georgia, Scotland, Poland, Republic of Ireland
    - Germany to win with Poland probably coming 2nd.. .3rd is really up for grabs and I'll go for Scotland or Ireland...

• Group E: England, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia, Switzerland
    - England and Switzerland ot qualify with Slovenia making 3rd

• Group F: Greece, Faroe Islands, Northern Ireland, Finland, Romania, Hungary
    - This is a really, really open group with no genuine favorite. I think Greece will qualify with Hungary maybe just pipping Romania for the runners up spot.

• Group G: Russia, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Montenegro, Austria, Sweden
    - Russia to qualify automatically but I'm going to be brave and vote for Montenegro to qualify for their first ever championship but Zlatan to get one more shot at the big time via the playoffs...

• Group H: Italy, Malta, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Norway, Croatia
    - Italy and Croatia to qualify automatically... Bulgaria and Norway to battle it out for 3rd.

• Group I: Portugal, Albania, Armenia, Serbia, Denmark
    - Portugal to win the group but this could turn out to be a really, really interesting group... coonventional wisdom tell us that Serbia and Denmark should battle it our for 2nd and 3rd but watch out for Armenia! On the verge of making the playoffs in their last two qualifications and won 4-0 in Copenhagen last year, and Albania will not be pushovers either... a really difficult group to call....

unclesox repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Please lets not have comments on players religions.

Thanks

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #9 BocaFan, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    Well, obviously the severe Groups of Death we've seen the past 2 Euros are a combination of having only 4 groups AND having 2 weak co-hosts. Another factor was luck. If the best team from pot 3 gets paired with the best team from pot 2, you're pretty much looking at a brutal group even if the host nation has a stronger team like, say, France (e.g. France, Italy, Portugal)

I agree with the 50% rule, but at the same time when there are only 3 games it doesn't hurt too much. A team with 4 points after two matches is probably not going to want to lose their final group match as it could mean playing a group winner in the round of 16.

Anyway, now that some people have posted their predictions, the 24-team field doesn't look so terrible. With all due respect to our Scottish friend above, the playoff round is still going to make it very difficult for a team playing at that level to qualify. Mabye there's now an opportunity for 1 or 2 teams at that level to get in, but a tournament where 22/24 teams are good is still a highly competitive tournament.

10. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    What is this over rating of Hungary. Any person who seen them play know they are not capable of getting second.
    They are lucky if they get 3rd which I highly doubt it

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you take the last world cup qualification cycle, which also had 9 groups, you'd have the following teams qualify for the Euros....

Group winners:
    Belgium, Italy, Germnay, Holland, Switzerland, England, Spain, Russia, Bosnia

Runners Up:
    Denmark, Greece, France*, Ukraine, Croatia, Iceland, Romania, Sweden, Portugal, Austria (best 3rd place team)

Then you'd have the following teams playing off in 3rd place:
    Serbia, Czech Rep, Hungary, Slovenia, Israel, Slovakia, Montenegro, Finland**

* - Can replace France with Finland, as France already qualified, and Georgia with Finland....

So there's a possibility of several first time qualifiers there... I guess it's kind of cool that the Euro qualifiers will be significantly different than the WC qualifiers...

12. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Belgium & Bosnia are in the same group ... only 1 can be the group winner.

13. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He was talking about the last world cup qualifications

14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suddenly this looks like one of the weaker groups...

15. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    My god these qualifiers are going to be boring.

Gilbertsson repped this.
  16. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. One thing that the expansion to 24 teams does is it takes out all the drama that comes from a big team potentially missing out on the tournament. (Think England in 2008 or Netherlands missing the 2002 World Cup.) The huge brand-name teams will never find a way to get themselves in enough trouble in this format to miss the tournament. Oooh, the intrigue: Will Italy find a way to finish behind TWO of Croatia, Norway, Bulgaria, Azerbaijan and Malta to fall into the playoff? Please.

They would have been better off giving four to seven teams other than the hosts "byes" to the tournament. Say the finalists of the last tournament plus the next best ranked squads based on coefficients or some other method. Anything to keep Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain, etc. from having to go through the motions.

17. PersiansLoveFootball

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm predicting the following for Euro 2016 (big long shot):
    - Van Gaal will coach the men in Orange one last time
    - The Czechs will disappoint in qualifying
    - Wales will qualify
    - Spain will survive qualifying but falter in the group stages.
    - France will fail to make it past the Quarters
    - Ireland and Turkey will make Cinderella runs to the Semi's
    - Netherlands will edge Germany in a final for the ages

18. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good predictions and analysis. I think expansion is a good thing because we get to see teams that we normally we wouldn't see. Imagine if Bale takes Wales to the Euro Cup? That'd be fun. Those of us that don't follow the Spanish league all the time don't really get to see much of Bale. It'd be fun seeing him in an international competition. How about teams like Hungary and Scotland that were once contenders? It'd be nice getting to see them play again.

19. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unfortunately Van Gaal has agreed to become manager of Manchester United. Guus Hiddink is now in charge of the Netherlands.

20. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree with Kennywoo. I don't mind the expansion to 24 teams as much as the qualification turning into a ceremony. Even Portugal will qualify with ease this time ;)

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Hungary may finally qualify..... same with Montenegro..... can't wait for Germany vs. Gibraltar :D

22. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Doubt it if you do much better.Although Im giving you the 2nd spot in my predictions i think it will be a race for you two.Greece will get one of the first 2 spots, first or second matters not,but who is the other team progressivg is hard to guess.

23. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    How many Hungary games have you seen? We were in a qualifyng group together I want to think i know better what they can do

For you maybe. Especially when you think you know us based on a game where Greece scored after a an offside and a FK due to a dive
    We have played all the other teams recently and none are above us

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of it has to do with the group they're in.... Greece, Hungary, Romania, Northern Ireland, Finland, Faroe Islands with 2.5 places up for grabs, that's a pretty open group... you have to say Greece and Romania are probably the favorites but Hungary, Finland, maybe even Northern Ireland could cause a surprise there... I think people are picking Hungary as they finished in 3rd of their last 2 qualifying campaign, but could see anybody qualifying from tat group - that's the group of life...

25. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    We finished above them!Or do yo mean favorites to get 3rd? In that case Hungary were good in one qual., the one for Euro 2012. Since then they are playing worse and worse
    Yes group of life for Greece and Romania