Euro 2012 Squad

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by Pichi, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Vicente Del Bosque will announce Spain's pre-list of the Euro 2012 squad tomorrow. There will be no players on the list from Chelsea, Barca or Athletic Bilbao as those teams are still in competition. Once the CL final and Copa del Rey final are played any players that VDB will select from those 3 teams will be announced and added to the list.

Aupa Espanha y La Furia Roja!!

2. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So basically he is going to announce Casillas, Ramos and Silva... why not just wait and do it after these games are played.

3. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Because Spain is Different?? I guess that he wants to get going with the currently available players so that they can get ready for the first two friendlies leading up to Euro 2012 which is against Serbia on the 26th and against South Korea on the 30th. He plans on announcing the final list on the 27th and these other players names will join the team and take on China in the last friendly scheduled for 4 June.

4. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    This sure is a retarded way of naming the team.

So basically, we see how many spots are leftover and start guessing among the remaining players on Chelsea/Barca/Bilbao

5. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Yeah I don't get it either. Just announce the full team. If someone gets hurt in those two games then just replace them. Not sure why he is making it so complicated.

6. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With no liga or Spanish teams in the CL what in the hell will the sports rags have to write in order to sell themselves. Put a little mystery and Spanish twist to naming a Euro 2012 squad and keep folks thinking about futbol for a couple of weeks until the friendlies start!

7. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The provisional list was announced today and here are the players on the list:

Porteros: Casillas, Reina, De Gea.
    Defensas: Albiol, Jordi Alba, Arbeloa, Domínguez, Monreal, Sergio Ramos, y Juanfran.
    Centrocampistas: Isco, Xabi Alonso, Cazorla, Beñat, Javi García, Bruno Soriano, David Silva y Jesús Navas.
    Delanteros: Adrián, Negredo y Soldado

According to VDB about half of these players listed are definite fixtures for the Euro 2012 team with the rest coming from the teams still playing competitively at this time and maybe a few whose play these next two weeks will award them with a slot. He named some young players like Benat and Isco to give them time to play with the NT at this level as they are the future of the seleccion. HMaye will release the definitive list on 27 May.

Aupa Espanha y La Furia Roja!!

8. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm a little susrprised he didn't call up Raul. Not that I would have wanted it, but I was almost expecting him to do it now that he had the perfect excuse (him scoring in Germany)

9. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Raul > Negredo

10. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The 21 players will arrive at Las Rozas on the 21st of May and leave for Austria on the 22nd. VDB said that he will release players who in his mind don't make the cut while in Austria training for the two friendlies. Here is the interview:

Aupa Espanha y La Furia Roja!

11. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    add Torres and Mata to the list...

12. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Does that mean both of them are going to the eurocopa for sure? Or are they just part of the squad list to be cut later.

13. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    It means they can still be cut.

Although I am sure Mata is on the team. ;)

14. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Yeah, I think Mata is a lock (although there is a lot of competition for his spot).

15. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  16. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ouch... that was expected.
    With out Villa, who is going to score? He practically scored all our goals in the world cup.

17. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    I saw this coming. Villa just wasn't going to make it.

18. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    My guess...with players on the bubble in red.

Goalies: Casillas, Valdes, Reina

Defenders: Pique, Ramos, Alba, Arbeloa, Martinez, Albiol, Iraola

Midfielders: Alonso, Busquets, Xavi, Cesc, Iniesta, Cazorla,

Attacking Mids/Wingers: Silva, Mata, Navas, Muniain

Forwards: Llorente, Torres, Soldado

19. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Our forward line looks to be the weakest link now.

20. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Just remember that only one of those strikers will start because the formation will only use one striker.

It is odd that so close to the tourney we don't even know who that will be

21. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Gotta believe that VDB will replace Villa with one of these three guys: Muniain, Pedro or Adrián López. Only Lopez is currently with the NT training as the other two will be playing in the Copa Final this weekend. Guess we'll find out on the 27th.

22. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    I doubt Pedro is being given any major consideration given the season he had. It has to be between Muniain and Adrian but Muniain is more appropriate for the formation and has that ability to make things happen, something this team lacks without Villa. Adrian is more of a secondary striker which doesn't really fit the formation. On the other hand, if you want to be able to switch to 2 striker formation late in games, than it makes more sense to take Adrian but I doubt Del Bosque would experiment with the formation or call on Adrian with the game on the line.

The other competitions are

1. Between Soldado & Negredo for one striker position, since we are all assuming Llorente and Torres are going. I know Del Bosque likes Negredo but will be hard pressed to leave La Liga leading goal scorer at home. Not to mention Soldado scored 3 in that last game for the NT.

2. Between Iraola, Monreal, & Juanfran for one fullback position. This one is tricky because it depends on whether he sees as Arbeloa as the starting RB or a backup fullback. If you starting Arbeloa and immediately will move Ramos to RB as Plan B rather than use Iraola or Juanfran, than it doesn't make sense to take another RB. On the other hand, if Ramos going to be strictly a CB, it makes more sense to take another RB and just shift Arbeloa to LB in emergencies because we all know Alba is going to play every possible minute at LB.

And in a last minute twist, Del Bosque is experimenting with Javi Garcia as CB.

23. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting turn of events as Muniain was called up for the Sub-21 team match against Estonia on 31 May. That would mean after the Copa match he'll then join the Sub-21 team for their match next Thursday.

24. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Personally I think Pedro is pretty much a lock now that Villa is out. We will need players outside the striker position who can score goals with our most prominent goal scoring player out, and Pedro has shown in the past that he can score a few.

Still a week left or so before the final list has to be given to UEFA.

25. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Based on what Pedro showed this season, i seriously don't think he deserves a spot on the final list for you guys. And neither does Torres, but i think Torres will make the final list given that Villa is out.