Euro 2012 Squad

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by CoDave, Jan 15, 2012.

1. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I wanted SPAIN and be on top of the group D

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you know what i want? THIS!
    [​IMG]

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  3. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

4. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

YES !

5. epugnac

epugnac Member

May 29, 2012
    I sense that Blanc is going to be cautious against Spain and play Diarra and MVila in midfield.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    based on how worm'vila has performed for france, playing him with or without diarra (who has been a delighful surprise) is not being cautious. it's dangerous barking insanity.

7. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    At the expense of who? Cabaye? That would be a huge mistake.

8. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Isn't that the last time they handed out that trophy, or did Greece get it too?

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    give that herbman a cigar!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Old trophy, 1960-2004 - - - - - New trophy, 2008-
    The Henri Delaunay Trophy, which is awarded to the winner of the European Football Championship, is named in honour ofHenri Delaunay, the first General Secretary of UEFA, who came up with the idea of a European championship but died five years prior to the first tournament in 1960.
    For the 2008 tournament, the trophy was slightly remodelled to make it larger, as UEFA felt that the original was too small compared to other trophies awarded in other European competitions. The new trophy, which is made of sterling silver, now weighs 8 kilograms (18 lb) and is 60 centimetres (24 in) tall, being seven inches longer and one pound heavier than the old one. A small figure juggling a ball on the back of the original was removed, as was the marble plinth.

10. FrenchSteve

FrenchSteve New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going to take this opportunity to point out some interesting parallels.

In 2006 an unimpressive French team opened the tournament with tie against a team coached by Roy Hodgson. They progressed in second place to face a heavily favored Spain. They won, followed up with a semifinal win against Portugal, then faced italy in the final.
    In 2012 an unimpressive French team opened the tournament with tie against a team coached by Roy Hodgson. They progressed in second place to face a heavily favored Spain....What happens next?

In 2004 Greece defeated the host team, tied, then ended the group stage looking weak with an unimpressive loss to an already eliminated Russia. They then faced the defending European Champions and went on a series of 1-0 wins to take the trophy.

And lets not forget the possibility of a Spain-Portugal-Italy route to glory a la 2000.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." -George Santayana.
    I think that is the explanation for the feeling of doom we all have about this upcoming match. We are doomed to repeat history and become champions. C'est la vie

LGRod and AfrcnHrbMan repped this.
  11. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ^^^^^^Thank you FrenchSteve. I was planning on looking up some scenarios from the past because things seemed eerily familiar to me. Great post.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Has Nasri been sent home? rumours breaking

13. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I started hearing rumors about 9 hours ago that Blanc was scratching him from the starting lineup because he keeps causing issues with a few teammates. Hmmmm. This is getting interesting.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yes I heard this, but now I am hearing rumours about him being kicked out. Surely just rumours as doing it on the eve of the game is a bad move.

Shame about Mexes missing out tonight also.

15. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, it might just be rumors. I haven't seen anything reported from the major sports media in France.