Euro 2012 Qualification Groups.

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by Rhand, Feb 7, 2010.

1. TOCanadafan

TOCanadafan New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    A: Toughest group. Germany is too efficient not to come on top. Turkey with Hiddink and a Belgian squad with lots of young talent should battle for #2. Austria is also a young improving team as well and could take points from anyone. Turkey to narrowly gain #2 over a Belgian team that will make WC2014.

B: Russia were the most talented team to miss out on WC2010. I think they are a good darkhorse pick to actually win the whole thing. They should breeze through in first. Ireland and Slovakia to battle for #2. As it stands now I see Slovakia getting #2, but if Ireland can some how get Stephen Ireland in the fold, they could get #2.

C: Serbia to finish #1 and Italy #2 in a relatively weak group. Italy needs to figure things out. I see Slovenia taking a step back after the high of qualifying for 2010.

D: A renewed France to finish #1 and Bosnia to get #2, although Romania has a solid defense and could be in the mix.

E: Holland #1. Sweden may be entering a bit of a lull at the moment. Finland has been doing well at youth levels but Hungary may be ripe to squeeze through and grab #2 as they have quite a bit of young talent starting to make names for themselves all over Europe. Hungary #2.

F: Weakest group. Croatia easily on #1. Another squad which should have been at WC2010. A refreshed Greek squad which would find it difficult to get #2 in any other group should take #2 here without much trouble.

G: The second toughest group, and one with no pushover. England #1. #2 will be a dog fight between all of the other teams, including #5 seed Montenegro. The Swiss should have enough to hold on to #2.

H: Another tough group. Portugal #1, Denmark #2, but Norway will be close. Both teams (Port, Den) have a good mix of depth, talent and quality youth and could each use a little shake-up after disappointing world cups.

I: Spain #1. Scotland messed up with an easy group in WC2010 quals. I'm not sure if they can get things done this time and hold off a rebuilding Czech team with lots of young talent. Czechs #2

Look for Italy or Greece to grab top runner-up spot - the stupidest rule ever, as it rewards teams who had easier groups.

Playoff winners: ??? Turkey/Belgium, Italy if they don't get best #2 (or Serbia if Italy manages to win the group), Portugal/Denmark runner up, and either the Swiss or Slovakia.

2. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    A: This group we can agree that Germany can and will come out on top seeing as how they have the right mix of youth and experience on their team, came this close to being world champions again only to finish in 3rd, I see that as being the thing that motivates them even more to qualify for EURO 2012 and perhaps even win it all, Germany finishes 1st, that we can agree on. How can you think Turkey will qualify, man, ok last EURO I concede that they made it all the way to the semis, but 2010 South Africa they missed out on that, and Turkey haven't played efficiently like how we are used to seeing them. With Hiddink maybe they might qualify, but Belgium are just looking too nice right now man, Belgium have a younger, more newer golden generation of players coming up through their system and are only going to get better. Belgium finishes #2 in this group, man, come on, even you have to agree with Belgium qualifying for EURO 2012 seeing as how they are taking the Germany approach in going young, Belgium as well have the right coach in Dick Advocaat who is an established coach, too Belgium as well for that reason will finish 2nd.

B: Russia with all that talent I expected more of them, I expected better of Russia actually, for them to qualify for South Africa but that wasn't the case, and hopefully, hopefully they do qualify for EURO 2012, but I see Slovakia finishing 1st in this group, man how can you not agree with that? 2nd place Russia I think now more than anything Russia will most likely get 2nd place in this group and barely edge out the Irish.

C: Group C is somewhere where myself & you can definitely agree in with the Serbians finishing in 1st place in this group, and the Italians with a new look, new team finish in 2nd in this group, finally we agree on that at least, LOL!!!!!

D: Group D again is where me & you can definitely agree in with with the French, a renewed and reformed team under Laurent Blanc finish 1st in this group, and for Bosnia to get 2nd in this group, I want Romania to do well too but without Mutu they are pretty much useless, so Bosnia for that alone will finish 2nd.

E: Group E, Netherlands all day, they will dominate this group and finish 1st in this group very easily and quite easily, how can you not think that Sweden will not finish 2nd in this group man? Sweden if anything on paper look to be favorites to take 2nd especially if Ibrahimovic is their star and if he is back in the fold at 100%, Sweden with Ibra are dangerous, and after they missed out on SA 2010, I am sure Sweden will rebound and qualify for EURO 2012 in the #2 spot. 2nd place goes to Sweden, man I'm telling you.

F: Croatia will finish in 1st place that we can definitely agree on, same goes for Greece finishing in 2nd place, man I am so happy that we can agree on this group

G: England finishes in 1st place, that we can definitely agree on, and for the Swiss to finish in 2nd place, that we can agree on again at least.

H: Portugal finishes in 1st place, Denmark in 2nd place, it is like we have the same mind man, that we can agree on mostly everything except for a few groups here & there, but this one it is like we had the same idea.

I: Spain in 1st place that we can definitely agree on, man, 2010 FIFA World Cup champions with arguably the best team in the world right now at the moment and defending EURO champions, this will be a cakewalk for them. 2nd place is where me & you disagree however because I think the Scots this time around will be able to qualify for EURO 2012 and qualify for their first major tournament since France '98, seeing as how Scotland are more disciplined than they are now ever since Levin became their coach

3. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My Picks

1- Germany and Belgium
    2- Ireland and Russia
    3- Italy and Serbia
    4- France and Romania
    5- Netherlands and Hungary
    6- Croatia and Greece
    7- England and Switzerland
    8- Portugal and Denmark
    9- Spain and Scotland

Denmark as best runner up

Scotland, Hungary, Russia and Belgium in play-offs

4. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A: 1. Germany, 2. Turkey
    B: 1. Slovakia, 2. Russia
    C: 1. Italy, 2. Serbia
    D: 1. Bosnia & Herzegovina, 2. France
    E: 1. Netherlands, 2. Sweden
    F: 1. Croatia, 2. Israel
    G: 1. England, 2. Switzerland
    H: 1. Norway, 2. Portugal
    I: 1. Spain, 2. Czech Republic

Best Runner Up = Russia

Seeded: Portugal, Serbia, France, Turkey

Moving On: Portugal, Serbia, Turkey, Sweden

Therefore, the 16 Euro 2012 teams will be

1. Poland
    2. Ukraine
    3. Germany
    4. Slovakia
    5. Italy
    6. Bosnia and Herzegovina
    7. Netherlands
    8. Croatia
    9. England
    10. Norway
    11. Spain
    12. Russia
    13. Portugal
    14. Serbia
    15. Turkey
    16. Sweden

5. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Cody667, I can agree with you about some of the groups but where me & you differ is a whole another story.

Group A, yes, we can agree on the fact that Germany will finish in 1st place and dominate in this group, but 2nd place with Turkey, I can't see it happening, I see Belgium taking 2nd place. Why, Belgium, you ask, I'll tell you why. Belgium have a great young core group of players coming into their team, and have a new golden generation set in place with such players like Mirallas, Fellaini, Vermaelen, Lukaku, Kompany, Hazard, Defour, Dembele, etc., and if Van Buyten brings his Bayern Munich form into his style of play for Belgium, then I see Belgium coming of age in this qualifying campaign and qualifying.

Group B, yes, something we can definitely agree on, with Slovakia finishing 1st place in this group, and Russia barely edging out Ireland for that 2nd place spot.

Group C, yes, another thing we can agree on, however I think Serbia will finish 1st place in this group and Italy finishing in 2nd place.

Group D, yes, we can agree on that with Bosnia & Herzegovina and France going through, but it will be a new look France team under Laurent Blanc and I think Laurent is a way better coach than Domenech, and I think he will be able to take France to EURO 2012 in 1st place, and for the Bosnians to take 2nd place.

Group E, yes, we can definitively agree with Netherlands dominating this group and finishing in 1st place, with Sweden finishing in 2nd place.

Group F, yes, it is like we have the same mind, I was thinking the exact same thing you were thinking with Croatia finishing in 1st place, but I hate to have to disagree with the fact that Israel will finish 2nd in this group, as Greece I think will rebound from their WC failure under their new coach Santos, and will be a new look team under him, and I think they will be able to take 2nd place.

Group G, great minds do think alike in this case, with England finishing in 1st place and Switzerland finishing in 2nd place.

Group H, Portugal I am telling you will top this group and will finish in 1st place quite convincingly, and for 2nd spot I see the Danes recovering from their WC and taking 2nd place in this group.

Group I, Spain will top this group in 1st place no problem, and do it in easy fashion, for 2nd place I am torn between Czech Republic and Scotland as I want to see both teams go through but only one can, my heart is saying Scotland but my head is telling me Czech Republic, so for me, as to who finishes 2nd place FOR NOW I am going to have to agree with you and say that Czech Republic takes 2nd place FOR NOW!!!!!!!!!

6. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So the 16 teams who I think will be at EURO 2012 will be: Poland, Ukraine, Germany, Slovakia, Russia, Serbia, Belgium, France, Bosnia & Herzegovina, England, Netherlands, Spain, Croatia, Italy, Portugal, and Switzerland

Best runners up Switzerland

7. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I still believe that Norway is better than Denmark. People don't give the Norwegians the credit they deserve. They are the highest ranked Scandinavian nation, ahead of both Denmark and Sweden, as they sit in 22nd place in the rankings. And I believe they have more to offer than Denmark does. Denmark disappointed me in the WC, as part of me felt they should have went 3-0 in their group and go at least as far as the quarter-finals, but they lost to Japan and failed to advance from their group. I think John Carew along with the likes of Nevland, Helstad, and Husselkapp to support him provide for a tremendous attacking core. John Arne and Bjorne Helge Riise both have one more big qualifying run while in their primes, as does Brede Hangeland and Morten Gamst Pedersen, so I think they'll truly be going all out to not just qualify but succeed in the Euro, where a semi-final appearance certainly is not out of the question as long as they get there. This team is a force to be reckoned with.

8. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The Norwegians, I agree with you, they do have a good team, but Norway their team hasn't qualified for a big tournament since UEFA Euro 2000 in Belgium/Netherlands, and yet they are ranked higher than Denmark and Sweden who in my opinion are probably the 2 best Scandinavian nations and you say they have more to offer than Denmark, I will believe in Norway when I see that happen, and if they do manage to qualify for EURO 2012, I could see them make it out of the group stages it just depends on who is in their group at EURO 2012, and if they can do that, quarter-finals is probably the farthest they can go.

Cody667, I am telling you a team to definitely look out for in UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying is Belgium.

The Belgians, nobody gives them credit if anything, as Belgium even though they have a young team, they have a good team a golden generation of players in their team, rising stars in the making like Marouane Fellaini of Everton, Kevin Mirallas of Olympiakos, Romelu Lukaku of Anderlecht, Steven Defour, Jan Vertonghen of Ajax, Eden Hazard of Lille, Moussa Dembele of AZ, Thomas Vermaelen of Arsenal who is their captain, Vincent Kompany of Man. City, and Daniel Van Buyten of Bayern Munich. I am telling you Belgium is a team to look out for, not only will Belgium qualify, I can see them making it out of the group stages, going all the way to even the semi-final of EURO 2012, as they have players, and have a great coach in Dick Advocaat.

9. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Dick Advocaat is no longer Belgium's coach, he is now Russia NT coach

10. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Wow, never knew that, thanks for telling me

11. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Are the qualification matches really switching to Friday/Tuesday? If so, that would suck, from a traveling away fan point of view and from a North American TV viewing point of view. Love morning beers at the pub with a slate of Saturday qualifiers.

Please say it isn't so!

1 person likes this.
  12. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    But another team people should watch out for in UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying is Croatia, I mean after Croatia missed out on South Africa 2010, I think that will be the thing that motivates Croatia to not only just qualify but to go very far in EURO 2012, I could see Croatia getting out of the group stages and going all the way to the semi-finals this time around especially now that they have Eduardo back in the national team and he is 100% healthy after that leg break.

Plus with Slaven Bilic at the helm, I think Croatia can make an impact at EURO 2012, and let's not forget that they have other weapons in their lineup like: Ivica Olic of Bayern Munich who was one of their breakout stars last season, Luka Modric, Niko Kranjcar, Darijo Srna, Rakatic, Leko, etc.

EURO 2008 as well Croatia made it to the quarter-finals where they lost in a penalty shootout to semi-finalist Turkey, but I think Croatia have learned from that, and are a better team than their 2008 squad and have a younger squad

Croatia has a lot to offer

13. shocker

shocker New Member

Oct 23, 2007

We will see in first 2 game in qualification about that ;) Group is " easy" so its realistic to expect Croatia at euro 2012

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the weekday games are moved from Wednesday to Tuesday (which isn't a big deal to me) but i didn't hear anything about games moving from Saturday to Friday until now. http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/wor...ifa-dates-2010-2014-updateseptember2009-e.pdf provides date ranges for when there are two matchdays half a week apart and the ranges do start on Friday.

15. shocker

shocker New Member

Oct 23, 2007

Yes it is !

16. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's a shame they don't spread out the qualifiers more over the day as opposed to having the vast majority of them on the same time slot. There are so many interesting games to watch live, but the vast majority kick off between 20:00 and 21:00 CET (unless a former USSR team is playing at home, in which case it's earlier), so if you follow your own national team you will generally have to miss large parts of the other interesting matches. Didn't the British Isles teams formerly play a lot of home games in the afternoon?

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Given that qualifying matches have been moved from Saturday to Friday, spreading the matches over the day is the last thing they should do.

18. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    My selections:

Germany & Turkey
    Russia & Ireland
    Italy & Serbia
    Romania & France
    Netherlands & Sweden
    Croatia & Israel
    England & Switzerland
    Portugal & Denmark
    Spain & Scotland

Really hard to select the best second placed team as the opposition is evenly spread out. I'll go for Denmark.

Scotland, Switzerland, Turkey and Serbia to make up the rest.

France misses out.

19. Potomac89

Potomac89 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    I think Belgium will get in this time, they have a great young side. Their a team to watch out for in the future. I also think Denmark and Norway have a chance to knock out Portugal.

20. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Belgium will qualify this time around, and Turkey will be the ones who miss out seeing as how Belgium are a team to look out for in the future having such players like Dembele, Hazard, Fellaini, Mirallas, Sonck, Kompany, Vermaelen, Defour, Lukaku, etc., and are being led by arguably their most experienced player in Van Buyten.

If Van Buyten can play for Belgium at the level like how he plays at Bayern Munich, then Belgium will surely qualify for EURO 2012

Belgium will come of age come EURO 2012 qualifiers and mature as a team, plus they have a good coach in Georges Leekens.

Germany will finish 1st in Group A, the best German squad that I have seen in recent memory with their youth movement and going as far as they did in South Africa 2010 finishing in 3rd place for the 2nd consecutive World Cup in a row, this German team is the odds-on favorite to win EURO 2012 if you ask me.

Slovakia, Group B, are odds-on favorites to qualify especially after the way they performed at South Africa during their first ever FIFA World Cup since gaining independence making it out of their group to make it into the Round of 16 where they lost to eventual finalists Holland. Slovakia will surely finish 1st in this group.

As to who finishes in 2nd place in Group B, it is a real tosser between Russia & Ireland, but I say Russia will take 2nd spot.

Group C, Serbia finishes in 1st place, Italy in 2nd place

Group D, France the new look France under Laurent Blanc, I think after re-modelling their squad, France now will surely finish 1st, and for 2nd spot Bosnia & Herzegovina

Group E, Netherlands will finish 1st place with ease, and Sweden will finish in 2nd place

Group F, Croatia after missing out on South Africa 2010, the Croatians look to be darkhorses in EURO 2012 especially if Eduardo their main threat up front is 100% healthy, and if they can find goals from people like Olic who was a goal machine at Bayern Munich, and Kranjcar, Modric, etc., then Croatia will surely qualify for EURO 2012 and perhaps even go far in EURO 2012. Israel to me if they can get results against Greece and against Croatia, I would not bet against them finishing in 2nd place.

Group G, England will finish 1st place especially after now that they are going to display a new look team with such players like Wilshere, Gibbs, Dawson, etc., England if they go young and display youth within their team England will surely qualify for EURO 2012 and go far in the competition.

2nd place however will go to the Swiss.

Group H, Portugal will definitely finish 1st in this group, and Denmark if they can recover from their SA failure then I see them qualifying for EURO 2012, but if not then Norway might just qualify for their first major tournament since EURO 2000.

2nd place I say will go to Denmark provided they can recover from their World Cup failure.

Group I, Spain do you even have to ask, they will for sure finish 1st, the defending European champions, world champions Spain will finish this group with relative ease dominating.

As for 2nd place in Group I, I say the Scots will qualify

21. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Turkey and Germany will take 1 and 2...

Belgium has got young core squad ,but, they were late to add coach in the right time I tgues... Leekens is decent coach, bu,t I doubt He will take this young squad to the 2012....

I think Germany will take top,,Turkey will gonna take second .

22. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Group A: Germany, Belgium
    Group B: Slovakia, Rep. Ireland
    Group C: Slovenia, Italy
    Group D: Romania, France
    Group E: Netherlands, Sweeden
    Group F: Croatia, Isreal
    Group G: England, Switzerland
    Group H: Portugal, Denmark
    Group I: Spain, Scotland

Best Runner Up: Switzerland

Playoff winners: Sweeden, Rep. Ireland, France, Belgium

23. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Group A definitely agree with your picks of Germany and Belgium going through to EURO 2012, yes someone agrees with me here, Belgium do have what it takes to qualify, and they seem to almost have like a "New Golden Generation" of players here in their national team, and come 2012 I think they will mature under Georges Leekens, and make it to their first major tournament since Korea/Japan 2002.

Group B, Slovakia I agree most definitely as they will qualify for EURO 2012, but I think Russia might just pull it out from under Ireland for 2nd place, even though I want Ireland to take 2nd spot, it could very well all come down to the wire here.

Group C, how can you go against Serbia here, if anything they topped their qualifying group for South Africa 2010 when nobody thought that they could, they beat out France for top spot, so who is to say Serbia can't do it again? Serbia will qualify, Slovenia to me they just didn't impress me during SA 2010, and Italy with their new look squad to me Italy at best will take 2nd place

Group D, I agree with France qualifying, what I don't agree with, is that you chose Romania to qualify, to me Romania they just haven't lived up to their hype even though they qualified for EURO 2008 but fail to qualify for SA 2010, to me that isn't impressive, Bosnia if anything look more impressive on paper now and have a young squad that will surprise people

Group E, Netherlands for the taking obviously, Sweden takes second, I will agree with you on that at least

Group F, Croatia even though they didn't qualify for South Africa, to me they still are impressive and especially if providing Eduardo stays healthy, and with him up front as well as Olic, Modric, Kranjcar, etc. under Slaven Bilic, Croatia could be favorites at EURO 2012. Israel to me haven't really impressed but if they can get results against Greece, yes Israel can qualify, but until then Greece is primed to take 2nd place, if and only if Israel does not live up to their billing.

Group G, I agree with you on England & Switzerland

Group H, definitely agree with you on the Scots of Scotland qualifying for EURO 2012, I want Scotland

Spain they are already there, they will qualify with ease

24. Dahin84

Dahin84 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    This time Bosnia is going to win the group and finally qualify.

25. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

After France's embarrassing loss to Belarus at home and Bosnia's strong performance in Luxembourg, I agree with you.