Euro 2012 News

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by IASocFan, Dec 2, 2009.

1. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't understand how Hitzfeld still say he would have liked to play the England match with Frei and Streller. It would have been wiser not mentioning them any more and give the players the credit they earn for their match

2. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    That's amazingly stupid. He should just be thankful they quit as he clearly didn't have the balls to take them out of the starting line-up. Circumstances forced him to go really young and circumstances forced him to go with the 4-2-3-1. Changes most of us have been waiting for since forever it seems.

Hitzfeld still has a long way to go to prove himself in my eyes. He can start with retiring Margairaz, who has always, is and will always be internationally sub-par. I'm taking it for certain that Yakin won't be called up again but with Hitzfeld you never know.

3. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Hitzfeld said WHAT?

I agree with not mentioning F&S ever again!

I won't then have to post again....until the next qualifier anyway ;)

As for Grichting: I've always been a fan of him (and Djourou was rather 'wobbly' ) but if he's decided to retire, well so be it.

I'm all for youth coming to the fore.

I'll leave it to you chaps to keep supplying names.

In the build-up to the England v Switzerland game the English media spent 99.9% of their time saying how England were going to win easily.

The 0.1% was a token interview with Christian Gross.

4. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    well, he couldn't say things are much better now without F&S, that would have been like saying I was terribly wrong...

but it would have been more elegant not mentioning F&S, instead of saying he would have liked them in the England match. of course, he is known for his loyalty and that's very good, but the words were not well chosen. I mean, what should Derdiyok think who was giving everything on Saturday? Respect for the former players is ok, but you also should give confidence to the players you've in your team.

And especially the young players deserve also a bit of credit after their good performance, although they have to be conscious that they still have a lot to improve.

5. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Well said.

I only came back on here to add an additional comment re Hakan Yakin.

He might be 'old', but his 'trusty left peg' and skill could well be used as a sub (providing Switzerland aren't playing Turkey of course - but I wont go over old wounds on that one :)

That aside, best for Hitzfeld to 'keep it young'

6. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    let's see what Hakan is going to show next season. I think he is going to give his best in the matches with FCLucerne as Murat is the coach, but I doubt a bit he will be on top with his fitness which he would much need to make a certain impact. I don't believe in a big season for FC Lucerne as Yakin, Gygax and friends now might think life will be 'easy' for them with Murat Yakin as coach

7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stéphane Grichting has announced his retirement from International Football. He had not played since 9 March for his club and was in the stands for the England match. He played 45 times for the Swiss National Team. He played well many times to help cement the back line.

About the England match, the Swiss played well, not the perfect match they needed against Spain, but still pretty well. Keep the young guys out there, let them develop. And lets hope the U21s make a run to the Olympics!

8. supersewelly

supersewelly Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I thought England were poor, but that Djourou penalty was about the most stone-wall definite penalty I've ever seen.. :confused:

9. supersewelly

supersewelly Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Infact, the replays show Djourou got absolutely nowhere near the ball!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki9TZQ42d50"]YouTube - ‪England - Official Highlights | England 2-2 Switzerland UEFA European Championships 04/06/11‬‏[/ame]

10. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Er, try looking at the video again when (a) you're sober or (b) you're wearing spectacles.

JD got the ball first, and Wilshere fell over his leg.

Go on, take another look!

However, I won't labour the point.

What's done is done.

So, are you watching the Swiss U-21's tonight?

I am.

11. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    I think you're aware of my fondess for Gygax from earlier posts of mine.

I guess that he and HK are 'yesterday's men' - but if only they'd been better employed a year or so ago?

RobTA: Grichting was another favourite of mine (see earlier posts) but once again, his time is over.

Onwards and upwards with the U-21's !

:)

12. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I also had the hope he would make it back in the NT for quite a while. It's a pity that some players waste their talent

13. supersewelly

supersewelly Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Sorry to bring this up again and be a moan, as I've only just seen the response now, but.... Djourou gets nowhere NEAR the ball.

Wilshere takes the ball away and Djourou's foot goes straight over his ankle. It's the most clear cut penalty I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

14. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    T. Moutinho plays now for Portugals U-20 after having played for Switzerlands U-16 to U-19

well, I can understand it and he won't be missed as he is not even a substitute any more at Servette and in the Swiss NT there are Inler, Dzemaili, Xhaka, Schwegler, Abdi etc in his way.

He has only made 8 appearances in the last 2 challenge league seasons for Servette and is only the nr. 5 at this position at SFC

16. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    With both P Schwegler and Gelson in 2nd division clubs Lustenberger should def. get the nod for our next game

Also, since Ziegler might not become Juve's 1st choice for left back we should call up a new guy. Voser, Berardi, Daprela or Rodriguez - I'd go for Rodriguez, especially so that Chile won't snatch him away.

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Three debutants in Ferati, Berardi and Lustenberger. Lustenberger really deserved this. Ferati? Not so sure. Berardi? He is still in a 2nd division club (I guess it makes sense though since he's not eligible for the U21s anymore).

I commend Hitzfeld on not calling up P. Schwegler and Gelson just like I had hoped.

Behrami misses out cause he's suspended for the next EC qualifier. Xhaka and Stocker (and someone else?) are injured.

21. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Barnetta out injured, Ben Khalifa as well. Gavra called up as replacement even though he seems miles away from a starting place in Schalke. But I guess our options are extremely few. Well well good at least that Ottmar finally made the switch to a 1 striker-system.

Hoping that Derdiyok will finally take up his goalscoring account.

22. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    I remember praising Lustenberger on here many months ago after watching a few of his performances in the Bundesliga.

But I was somewhat surprised to see him in the recent U-21's! I suppose he was one of the few 'over aged' players.

FL is worthy of a start in the young and ever improving Nati.

Supersewelly: Thanks for the video - but no matter how many times you or I watch it we'll never agree.

I've watched it 20 times, and 20 times JD got the ball first.

It's even more apparent with a different camera angle - but I don't have a youtube link for that.

Said angle was shown on ITV - but they only showed it once.

No surprise really.

Anyway, it's old news now.

23. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timm Klose and Johnny Leoni are added to the squad. Johan Djourou might miss the match due to injury.

24. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Degen next man injured. Even though a lot of changes has been made our players' injury proneness stays the same. But it's Liechtenstein in a friendly so I won't scratch my head too much.

25. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philippe Senderos leaves training with an injury as well. He still might play.