Euro 2012 News

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by IASocFan, Dec 2, 2009.

1. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Yep, the U21 should def. not be torn apart. And imo Abdi is much more ready to play behind Derdiyok than Gavra, Ben Khalifa etc., but for me Dzemaili is the best choice for that role.

In any case, Hitzfeld's inability to play with something else than a 4-4-2 will continue to pose problems for us. He's just not right for us.

2. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    yes, the U-21 and the U-19 are in the EC finals, resp. EC elite round
    anyway, the A-team has only the England match before summer, but for this match some U-21 players will have to be in England like Derdiyok and Gavranovic or Affolter. Costanzo, Ben Khalifa, Emeghara and others could join the team in August for the Liechtenstein match which will be an ideal match for a restart.

31.5.-5.6. U-21 training camp
    31.05. Switzerland-Spain (U19 elite round)
    02.06. Switzerland-England (U-19 elite round)
    Sat 04.06 England-Switzerland (A, EC)
    Sun 05.06. Montenegro-Switzerland (U-19 elite round)
    Sat 11.06. Denmark-Switzerland (U-21 EC final round)
    Tue 14.06. Switzerland-Iceland (U-21 EC final round)
    Sat 18.06. Switzerland-Bielorussia (U-21 EC final round)
    till 25.06. U-21 EC final round
    20.07.-01.08. U-19 EC, maybe with Switzerland
    Wed 10.08. Liechtenstein-Switzerland (A friendly)
    Wed 10.08 Italy-Switzerland (U-21 friendly)

3. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Hitzfeld criticized Mourinho's playing style, but he has been playing purely defensive himself while Mou at least from time to time is playing a bit more offensive. I agree to play with a secure defense, but would like to see a very high defending with forechecking a bit like Mourinho's former assistant Villas Boas is doing it. Favre is also playing with a secure defensive but his teams are also managing to score goals. But the best examples this season are definitely Dortmund and Porto. A bit of that kind of playing style wouldn't be bad for us.

just thinking about the difference between Krüger and Simpson in our hockey NT… the first was playing only defensive and called up a lot of defenders who did not know anything else than defending, the second only called up defenders who also know how to score goals and let's the team play an aggressive forechecking.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Let's see if they can beat Norway tonight and seal a quarterfinal spot.

The Nati really needs to show something in Wembley. It doesn't matter if they lose, but its the attitude that has to change completely.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    It's not really interesting at all.

I'm more interested in who Hitzfeld will play 'up top'

Er, not the 'pensioners' Frei and Streller? (again)

I trust 'OH' has learnt his lesson by now.

.....Wait and see I suppose.

7. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Don't worry, both of them are retired! There is really no other option than playing Derdiyok (who's already scored at Wembley vs England) alone upfront since Gavranovic just got back from injury and Ben Khalifa barely got more action at Nürnberg this spring than he got with Wolfsburg in the fall. Bunjaku should be back in the squad after his long injury break but first XI? Doubt it.. Guess we'll see at least one striker debutant, Mehmedi or Emeghara are not wild guesses.

Who will play behind Derdiyok? Surely not Yakin, don't even want him in the squad. Let's also hope that Hitzfeld has Finally realised that Margairaz doesn't cut it internationally. Shaqiri or Abdi would be my choice for number 10. In midfield I'd like to see Behrami, Dzemaili, Inler and Barnetta. The back four is pretty obvious with Lichtsteiner, Djourou, Grichting and Ziegler. Of course Benaglio in goal. Would like to see a new 3rd keeper though.

8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the article was pretty boring and wrong. Crouch has gotten the call:

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (West Brom), Joe Hart (Manchester City), David Stockdale (Fulham)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Bolton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Kyle Walker (Aston Villa)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Aston Villa), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

Strikers: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Peter Crouch (Spurs), Jermain Defoe (Spurs), Bobby Zamora (Fulham).

9. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Thanks for the good news.

F&S had been 'threatening/promising' to retire from international football for a couple of years now.

I'm glad they've finally done it !

It's a case of 'shake and start again' with some other combo.

Big man/little man up top for me. Bunjaku/Derdiyok + Shaqiri ?

As ever, the Swiss seem to have options in defence and midfield - but attack has always been the problem since Sulser and Turkilymaz retired.

The Swiss need a 'proper' striker (in the Michael Owen/Kevin Phillips mould) as opposed to those who can only score goals from penalties and regularly fire wide/head over the bar from 5 metres or less (mentioning no names of course)

;)

10. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defoe is out as well for England. I just how that the Swiss team plays well. I think that this is the time that S. Frei should at least get a look as the 3rd keeper. I think that Sommer is the Swiss keeper of the future, just not quite yet.

11. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    the Swiss squad is announced tomorrwo 11am CET

the rumour is already out that G.Xhaka gets a call
    and Mehmedi is expected as well...

the U-21 squad for the Euro preparation should also be announced tomorrow. I guess that Derdiyok, Affolter, Costanzo, Xhaka, Shaqiri, Stocker (injured) etc will be join the U-21 squad after the England match

but the U-19 call for the elite round is out already and in there you find Ricardo Rodriguez, Veseli, Buff, Kamber, Seferovic, Siegrist and G.Xhaka who might get an A-team call amongst others, so it will be interesting to see who is in the A-team and the U-21 call tomorrow. And then, you can speculate who will join the U-21 @Euro from the A-team or the U-19 team later on. But, I think the U-19 team who finally plays the elite round should not contain more than 1 or 2 players who join the U-21 afterwards. but I expect 4 or 5 players from the A-team to join the U-21 in Denmark. Note that Nürnbergs coach will pass a part of his vacation in Denmark to watch Ben Khalifa

12. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Innocent Emeghara also gets a call, so we'll have Xhaka, Mehmedi and Emeghara as newcomers.

Derdiyok and Gavranovic might start with Mehmedi and Emeghara as substitutes, then. And Xhaka might also play a few minutes, I guess.

13. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    it's confirmed now http://www.football.ch/nm/de/Aufgeb_3107.aspx

with Xhaka, Emeghara and Mehmedi
    without Yakin
    and Senderos and Djourou are back

Hitzfeld says Senderos, Djourou and Shaqiri might be playing

This could give us
    Derdyiok- Mehmedi/Emeghara
    Shaqiri-Inler (c)-Dzemaili/Schwegler - Barnetta/Behrami
    Ziegler-Senderos-Djourou-Lichsteiner
    Benaglio

or

Derdyiok
    Shaqiri- Barnetta - Behrami
    Inler (c) - Dzemaili/Schwegler
    Benaglio

14. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Why Margairaz?? I think Abdi has done a lot more to deserve a call-up...

15. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Abdi has improved a lot over the last few months. Margairaz needs to make a big step forward, yet. This step he only can make by showing constantly great performances in the league and especially in the European cups. Currently, Abdi would more deserve the call-up more than Margairaz, indeed

16. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    actually, looks like Hitzfeld selected Margairaz for the offensive midfield a position which did not really exist in his 4-4-2. now, it looks like the supposed change to a 4-2-3-1

Margairaz played also a more offensive part at Zurich when there were Inler and Dzemaili in DM and actually I liked him better there, then in a more defensive position.

in the first training the team was

Derdiyok
    Barnetta-Margairaz-Shaqiri
    Inler-Behrami
    Benaglio

17. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    looks like Xhaka might start from the beginning

Derdiyok
    Barnetta-Xhaka-Shaqiri
    Inler-Behrami
    Benaglio

18. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    I fully expect the Swiss National Anthem to be booed because of the English media's dislike for Sepp Blatter.

I hope that any booing will give the Swiss greater impetus.

As for the football: Here's an article that at least some English folk will appreciate.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...youth-to-revive-struggling-swiss-2292706.html

Edit: Well done Liechtenstein!

I had a winning bet of 6-1 for them to beat Lithuania

19. supersewelly

supersewelly Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You lot looking so much better with that 4-2-3-1 and the younger lads thrown in. Frei and Streller retiring could be the best thing to happen because it's seemingly forced the decision onto Hitzfeld.

Our lot look absolutely atrocious mind, what on earth is Milner on the pitch for.

20. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Hitzfeld finally tried not only to defend... but a draw is too little too late to qualify. Well, we basically had had to win to have a chance yet

anyway, the best match of the Swiss team in this qualification period. And you could see the team played with heart and really wanted to win.

I'd have brought Emeghara after 70mins or so.

21. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    the other match just ended 1-1, so we're still 6 points behind Montenegro

22. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    F&S didn't 'retire' they were 'booed out' for being absolute cack at international level (in their latter years at least)

If only Hitzfeld had dropped them from the squad at the start of the Euro Qualifiers Switzerland might well be in a better position.

And btw: Penalty? Djourou got the ball first.

Lucky England (as per usual) and unlucky Switzerland (as per usual)

23. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    there is still some hope left after the 1-1 in the other match.

Grichting retires from NT as he disliked being not even on the bench on Saturday. That's a pity as he always was a sure value when coming in. But if he cannot accept the decision not being on the match sheet for one match, then he shall step aside.

24. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Grichting's attitude is ridiculous. If he isn't playing at Auxerre he should count himself lucky to even be in the roster (with both Djourou and Senderos vack). I guess Ferati or Klose will be the next central defender to get called up (depending on who does best in the Buli)

25. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Hitzfeld is forced to his luck by the circumstances... I think Klose could make a good impact. Which him best of luck at Nurnberg. What is good is that Nurnbergs coach is in Denmark to watch the Swiss (Ben Khalifa and Klose especially)