Pre-match: EURO 2012: Italy - Ireland (June 18,2012) [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Luca03, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    [​IMG]

Monday June 18th 2012
    TV LISTINGS
    FORZA ITALIA!!!!!!!
    Lets hope for the best..

2. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005
    LOL I wish we were playing North Ireland

forza_azzurri repped this.
  3. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ireland are the worst team in this tournament but I read they might go with some of their younger players and this wouldnt help Italy's cause because the guys who have played are terrible.

4. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From Prandelli:

- Expects to make up to 4 changes in the starting roster on Monday, but assures DDR keeps his position - formation stays the same.

- States Di Natale plays best when he comes in late in the game (in other words, won't start).

- Some of the decision process for the starting lineup will be based off of a fitness test tomorrow I believe. I'm crossing my fingers we see Giovinco and Balo start the next game. Cassano needs to recover and should only be used as a sub against Ireland, if used at all.

5. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    LMAO!! my mistake i get confused all these Irelands...
    Mod edit it please.

I hate these forums cant edit your post after like 10 minutes or something

6. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy somewhat controls their own destiny. Spain will take care of things against Croatia... no point worrying about them fixing the match to a 2-2 tie.

Italy wins and they are in IMO. This needs to be their best effort of the tournament thus far. Play the FULL 90+ mins.

7. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Corluka on the Spain vs Croatia game finishing 2-2 or higher: `Those who had a betting scandal should not speak`

Cyclonis repped this.
  8. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005

I hope so too, but I can expect a 2-2 tie for Croatia and Spain

9. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ouch. That stings. lol

10. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005

bench Giaccherini, Motta
    start Balzaretti and Nocerino

I wish the formation was a little different up top. I'd like to see Giovinco Cassano and Balotelli all play together, but that wouldnt provide much cover on defense.

11. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm in for Nocerino starting.

Not impressed with Motta at all...

12. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another poster who I dont know sent me a PM and told me that the odds on a 2-2 tie are now down to 3-1. This isnt a good sign if you ask me and it seems people have already started sending their money in on that result but I'm still hoping for the best.

13. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I`m looking at the pro-line lottery here in Ontario and they closed the betting for the Spain vs Croatia game it says ` Proline Closed:Industry Odds Changed` so you cant bet on the game but you can bet on the Italy vs Ireland game.

14. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    I'm mostly afraid of a 1-1 draw between Spain and Croatia which could happen Without fixing things up, it'll require Italy to score at least 3 goals (while still being clear by 2 goals) to qualify which we all know won't happen lol

Just hoping the strikers will have some sort of luck vs Ireland, really sick and tired of wasted opportunities.

Hope Pirlo will have a good day as well. we are completely lost without this amazing player's talent.

15. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I worry for a 1-1 draw as well. That would require us to score 3, like mb said above.

Prandelli said we'll be using the same formation, correct? We better put some firepower in that lineup because we haven't showed much in the way of attacking up to this point.

16. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Statistics between Spain vs Croatia:
    Spain vs Croatia in 1994 finished 2-0 for Croatia.
    Spain vs Croatia in 1999 finished 3-1 for Spain.
    Spain vs Croatia in 2000 finished 0-0 draw.
    Spain vs Croatia in 2006 finished 2-1 for Spain.

17. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We've done well against Ireland historicallt at 7 wins 2 losses and 2 draws but the last 3 games two were draws and one was a loss. They all came in the last 3 years.

18. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I think Spain take care of business, it's good to know they can't afford to lose. Croatia may give them problems with all those crosses, but with Spain's possession game I don't expect them to have that many.

The biggest worry is that Spain is up a goal late and with Croats playing with desperation perhaps the Spaniards don't get stuck in that much and concede. After that it will be like taking a knee in a football game.

19. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I am a little worried about this matchup. Ireland have been poor but also very unfortunate in the first 2 games. They conceded in the opening 5 minutes in both matches and both goals could have and should have been prevented. Ireland simply can't handle being down because they begin to play desperate and lose their shape. I don't think we're getting a goal that early to settle the nerves, this is going to be a tough match.

20. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't think we should even think about the other game, and instead should focus on actually winning our game. I fear we could draw Ireland.

21. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005
    The players shouldnt worry about the other game, but we can :)

metallicaband repped this.
  22. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    This was the game I was worried most about at the start of the tourny. I knew we'd be very well prepared for Spain and Croatia. But a hard running team like Ireland coupled with Trap's tactics has me worried. Plus whoever has Irish friends you'll never hear the end of it if they draw or lose, I still hear about 94'. Also Italy are heavy favorites in this match they're favorite by nearly 2 goals. Those are the spreads Barca and Real have against mid table La Liga teams.

23. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Yeah, we have issues in the final 1/3 of the field. I dont know what it is. I hope we generate a lot of good scoring opportunities like we did in the previous games. And it needs to last all game long!

24. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    What worries me is that we know for a fact that Ireland won't walk into this game with a "who cares?" attitude. After getting demolished in their first two matches I can think of no better way for them to go home with a sense of pride than by bouncing the legendary Azzurri from the tournament as well. Combine that with the fact that historically Ireland has always given us a tough time, we're definitely gonna need to bring our A-game.

25. gcstorm9

gcstorm9 Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If we can't beat Ireland in a game we must win, than we don't deserve to advance. I say we continue to the 3-5-2 formation but perhaps switch to a 3-4-3. I would replace Giach with Balzaretti. Giach has had a nice tourney, but I think Balzaretti would add a lil bit more. I would start with Cassano and Balotelli up front and if we still need goals, bring in Di Natale for a midfielder(Marchisio prob) Other than that, Id perhaps start Nocerino, but Im content with lineup. We are creating chances which is nice. The goalies we've played have made incredible saves. Given is a decent GK but made blunders vs Spain. We just need to attack, attack, attack. I think we should dominate game and win 2-0 or 3-0, if we can put the ball in net, I think they will come in waves. Balo with 2 and a midfielder with another.