Pre-match: (EURO 2012 - Group Stage - Match 3) Denmark vs. Germany 06.17.2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cheeky beggar, Herr Faust.

I too would like to see a fit Götze take the Danes apart, but everything I have read seems to suggest that he is not quite back at 100% yet.

2. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Everything I've read since his Bundesliga comeback seemed to suggest that he's "in great shape and getting better with every single training session" or "has been making great progress".

If all of those reports during the past 6 weeks or so have been true, he must have long been bursting with greatness. Maybe that explains his looks. Maybe his footballing shape has affected his body shape. Maybe his body is almost bursting with fitness and his desire to finally play football again.

He needs to be unleashed before he explodes. Or, alternatively, he needs to be unleashed to explode on the pitch.

3. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm a huge fan of Kroos, he's simply brilliant imo and so young too. I don't think he can do what Mueller does on the wing, and he's competing with Oezil and Schweinsteiger so it is hard. I doubt we'll be seeing a lot of time from this summer, but I'd entertain a show against Denmark.

4. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Doubt we're ever seeing Schmelzer as a fullback, ever. He's the kind of fullback who needs a Kuyt/Grosskreutz like player infront of him. He can't defend, pure and simple.

Howedes will make the cut.

5. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Have you looked at him recently? He doesn´t seem fat, he actually gained a lot of mucles to gain physical power, which he lacks bc of his height. I´d love to finally see Götze again and I hope Jogi gives him a shot. He can´t do worse then Poldi...

About the Kroos-Fuss: Toni has to realise that he competes with Schwein/Khedira and Özil. Schweini and Sami are simply defensivly better and yet have a better eye (in case of Schweinsteiger at least) then him. Özil is worlds ahead of Kroos in terms of passing, speed and controlling the ball IMO. Way to go Toni...

6. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    You'd always have to look at it through the players eyes. Of course, what Kroos sees is what someone like Van Der Waart saw, and this is natural thing with players. Oezil wasn't that good so far in the tournament, so Kroos must be thinking "I've played with Gomez, Mueller and Bastian all at home, I can do a better job".

Loew is never going to start making such a huge change to the squad however, we'll leave that to England, and this is something most players don't recognize because of their eagerness to play.

7. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course, you are right. In my opinion still, Özil is and was the head of Germanys offense. But since the wings aren´t clicking till now, our offensive machinery isn´t running round Mesut. He´s had his classy actions, but he can´t hold up the attack all alone. And I honestly think Kroos isn´t nearly as good as Özil as a pure 10.

8. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Germany's Podolski must improve in attack

"It is clear that people expect more from me in attack. I expect more from me as well," said Podolski, who has scored 43 goals for Germany.

"But in the first two games my job was to secure the back. It was a tactical order by the coach which I fulfilled."

The assistant coach Hansi Flick:
    "There is still room for improvement in his offensive game," he said, adding that Podolski's defensive work in the last two games had been vital for the team's success.
    "We obviously want to leave our mark on the offence as well but the teams we have played so far were very attacking teams and we had to put the emphasis on the defence."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/germanys-podolski-must-improve-attack-011012076--sow.html

9. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    From the few times Reus has played for Germany and all his performances for Gladbach this season, I thought he was going to become one of the players of the tournament the way Oezil and Mueller were 2 years ago(although there is still time for that). He is just so quick and dangerous and has so much creativity. It is really disappointing to have not seen him play yet.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmhmm They're our plan B for sure. Some kind of secret weapon. I'm sure both will have their role in the tournament.

11. bayern15

bayern15 Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Scoring early will be the key to our game tomorrow. Hopefully, Netherlands do the same, otherwise it will be a nervous game.

12. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Am I the only one who thinks Oezil has been excellent and understated so far. Everyone of course expects him to have more scoring chances and make more passes but his role reflects that of the new setup. His running, on and off the ball are more important now and it shows in bringing others in. We aren't entirely reliant on our front four as much any more.

Regarding Podolski's role to defend, Mueller has to do that as well and he still managed to be more threatening in attack in both matches. Simply put, he will have to do better.

nekkibasara repped this.
  13. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "excellent" requires end product and Özil didn't have that so far. He was decent overall but can play a lot better and should be even more involved in the game.
    And instead of being reliant on our front four we are totaly reliant on Gomez scoring goals from very few chances, not really a good thing.

Both have to do better, Müller has so far a horrible passing accuracy (around 62% in the opponents half, that's not NT worthy).

bayern15 repped this.
  14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sounds like a bunch of crap. Grosscrap can do what he can as well, point is for Germany you need to be able to offer something if you're a winger. Podolski has been entirely useless.

SirManchester repped this.
  15. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bingo

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oezil can achieve a higher level but he hasn't been poor, that what needed to be pointed out. Pundits and some fans have declared he's been either poor or underwhelming.

Mueller's passing can definitely improve, absolutely but he is still putting himself in positions where things can happen and he always manages to give opponents difficulties.

17. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Yeah when Klose plays, there are 3 or 4 different goalscorers because of his brilliant link-up play but when Gomez plays, it is either him or no one.

18. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have a feeling that Loew has something special planned for Goetze. Maybe he is holding him back to get fully fit for a big tactical switch during a final or semi final match. Like using a 4-1-4-1 like this:

------------------Neuer---------------------
    Boateng---Hummels---Badstuber---Lahm
    ------------------Schweini-------------------
    Mueller------Oezil---Goetze--------Reus
    ------------------Gomez--------------------------

19. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There's definitely some truth to this. I just finished watching the Holland game in full, and Podolski is horrific passer. Easily the worst of this team (Gomez probably second), and if the Germany's ethos revolves around team play, not being able to link to your team mates is a massive problem.

timh19 repped this.
  20. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We really can't have 2 guys that aren't great at dribbling and passing. That's why Poldi needs to be replaced by Goetze or Reus. Its unfortunate that Klose is so out of form, but we are going to have to accept that Gomez is going to start every match. Lets hope his form holds up, because the team isn't creating many chances and his conversion rate has been world class so far.

Equilibrium and timh19 repped this.
  21. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wouldn't make any changes to to the squad except for Boateng (due to suspension)... would replace him with Hoewedes.

If its not broke don't fix it so I wouldn't make any changes. Would like to see some of our attacking options off the bench but I highly doubt we'll see them unless we go up by 2-3 goals

22. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    :thumbsup:

23. Coon

Coon Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Texas, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    That formation would't work against a top team, which we will probably face in the latter rounds.

You're leaving yourself way too exposed in the middle and out wide. There's only Schweini to defend the entire midfield. Can't work and Low would never risk something like this.

24. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My comment wasn't about Gomez or Klose, you misunderstood me there. Our game wasn't better with Klose on the pitch. My point is simply that we rely on the effectivity/quality of our striker no matter who that is.
    In Gomez case it's the quality of his finishing while Klose adds more to the game but in both cases it's worrying that our midfield needs them.

It's actually three guys because Müller has had the worst passing in the team so far and hasn't won a single dribbling in this tournament so far.
    He does create space and has smart runs but so far he has been average at best. That's still better than Podolski but also no what I expect of him.

ya, I'd suggest Özil, Kroos and Müller upfront. Özil is a former winger and Mourinho also used him from time to time there and Özil made his best game vs Barca on that position while Kroos would add a lot of stability and creativity to our midfield.

Loddar repped this.
  25. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Özil hasn't been poor, but by the same token hasn't been spectacular because there is little link-up play with Gomez (or any similar CF for that matter) on the field. Bring Klose on, and things may shape out a little.

At the moment the Gomez formula is working, but it may need tinkering with later on as we come across opposition that will need to be unlocked rather than outflanked.

I would have gone with Höwedes at RB, but I think the general indicators are pointing at Bender. whose form we cannot really rate as he has had little actual game time. I think we have enough to deal with Denmark, but an early Dutch goal in the other match - eliminating Portugal from an nasty three-way scenarios - would be nice.