Euro 2012: Group C Discussion (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Same, except maybe Long for Doyle.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Press are saying Walters for Doyle.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    My thoughts:
    1. Given was injured and should not have played. It was clear he was not at his normal level.
    2. We played WAY too deep. England played deep and defensive, we played stupid. England laid back but had serious pressure on any player within 5-10 yards of their 18 yard box. We should have done the same, instead we just kept moving further and further back. I literally don't understand this at all. It was completely stupid. I was screaming at the TV for someone to go to the ball.
    3. Look at the 2nd goal. Modric has the ball about 30 yards from goal and we have 9 players standing INSIDE our 18 yard box.
    4. Third Goal: Player with no pressure 5 yards from our 18 is allowed to fire a cross into our box. WTF!?!?!
    5. Why is Stephen Ward playing when we have Stephen Kelly on the bench? Move O'Shea to LB if you have to. How did Marc Wilson not make this team?
    6. I think McGeady and Duff need to play on their correct wings. Too often both (especially Duff) had to cut inside instead of play crosses or run down the wings.
    7. It was unquestionably a penalty and at around the 60th min it would have given us great belief and oomph to go forward for the equalizer. Terrible decision by the referee.
    8. I may be wrong about this, but I think Keane should be replaced. In the system we're playing it's better if we have two mobile and quick forwards. Two of Doyle, Long, and Walters may give us an advantage of physical ability that will cause problems for the opposing defense.

4. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    I think Walters could come in for Doyle but that might be it. I personally would bring in Kelly and move O'Shea to LD dropping Ward. I would also play Walters on his own up front, drop Keane and bring in Gibson. Or else I would play Walters and Long together.

5. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The fact that he hasn't named the team yet seems to indicate changes. Maybe 4-5-1?

6. paddywhack

paddywhack Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Regardless of our result tomorrow, Trappatoni has got to go. He gave this interview to Uefa on the eve of the biggest game our national team has played in the past 10 years.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=1817274.html

Lets list the players who play, week in week out, in the Premier league (or their respective reserve squads) alone.
    He could of chose from any of these, I'm sure they would've been adaptable!!

Ciaran Clarke
    Wes Hoolahan
    Stephen Ireland
    Anthony Pilkington
    Seamus Coleman
    Rory Delap
    Conor Clifford (would've been a stretch, but he's a Chelsea man with potential)
    Steven Reid
    Robbie Brady (another stretch, but he's on Man uniteds roster)
    James McCarthy (okay he pulled out, but not only because his father is sick, but also because he knew Trappatoni wouldn't give him a chance and he'd be only wasting his time going)
    Leon Best
    Joey O Brien (okay the was just promoted with West Ham)

but instead he chose players (who he admits to in his interview), don't play often!! and sticks them into a Euro Championship squad. Screw his system, Screw his ideas...let's have him out, and get someone in who cares!!! I'm sick of him referencing Chelsea's champions league win or Greece's 2008 run. He'll be at least 75 before the next world cup rolls around..let's give him his pension, put him in a nice home and move on!!

That been said #COYBIG tomorrow...Fingers crossed!!! LOL!!!

7. Soccerballer14

Dec 23, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No need to resort to insults. I'm just wondering how such a poor side managed to qualify for a tournament of this magnitude?

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    No really.

Cee
    Uou
    Next
    Tuesday.

Really.

Dyvel repped this.
  9. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Rumours are 4-5-1 with Cox in midfield and Robbie up front.

10. umop_apisdn

umop_apisdn Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American here but 1/2 Irish (Catholic) by ancestry. Irish credential established, I'm rooting for a draw, realizing a win is pretty much an impossibility. A draw would leave Ireland with a real chance of qualifying going into the final group match. The only requirements being, 1) beat Italy, and 2) hope Croatia and Spain don't both exceed 4 points (or have Croatia get in on a tiebreaker with Ireland at 4 points each). #2 would happen if Italy beats Croatia today or if Croatia beats or draws both Italy and Spain.

11. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Enough about England on our forum

Dyvel and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  12. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Painful stuff to watch against Spain, but it was always going to be that way. They are just a different class.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well it was fun while it lasted...3 minutes of game 1. Totally outclassed. I hope they took lots of pictures on their vacation.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    2 more by ESP. Last one on a bad angle shot...it's worse than expected.

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Magnificent fans. Was there in '88, '90, '94 and '02. Just couldn't make it this time. But sounds and looks very like the last games of the previous 4 tournaments. Truth is we were just not good enough. No shame in that. You can only play with what you have. Great fans.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Agreed, no contest really. Now there'll be talk of getting rid of Trap. I'm in two minds about it. He got us here but then again he has no plan B tactically and brings on Paul Green. Fans were brilliant at the end, we're the world champions at fandom. Pity we can't play footie...

17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Not certain that there's ever a Plan B with that squad. You can make the argument about a few players here and there, but it's not like we left a Marcos Senna or Andrea Pirlo sitting at home. Essentially Ireland has a population of about 5M from which to pick (emigrants included) and this is what you get. The achievement was getting there. Once the groups were announced, it was always going to be a huge ask. Give us England's group and maybe. But 3 teams ranked in the FIFA top 10? Yeah, not so much.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah, it was asking a lot to be competitive in this group. But Croatia also has the same population so I'm not sure if that's a legit reason to be so outclassed.

19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    True about the population size, but tell me, how's the Croatian GAA and RFU doing? :)

Dyvel and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I think he's got to go.

While Ireland doesn't have a great amount of players to choose from there are a whole host of players playing in the Prem and Championship that were never given a chance.

Darron Gibson was brilliant with Everton in the second half of the season.

Players like Wes Hoolahan shouldn't be left at home.

I know we're not Spain or Brazil, and that is especially why player selection is so important.

21. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Giving up goals in the first five minutes? You'd think Bob Bradley was the manager.

22. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Spain were amazing and there's no shame in trying 100% and simply not having the ability.

But,

Bringing on Paul Green when 3-0 down is inexplicable. Robbie Keane shouldn't have been on that pitch, he just doesn't have it anymore. And Darron Gibson should have been on. At least there's alaways a chance of him getting a goal out of nowhere. Also, I hope that either Wilson or Clarke will now permanently replace Ward who has franky been embarassing.

23. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    I've been to Croatia twice and basketball certainly competes with football as their number one sport. Also, you have handball, waterpolo and athletics which are all very popular. Croatia is a great sporting country both in terms of achievement and your average person in the street getting involved.

24. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It was an acheivment getting there with that squad.

I also felt he just brought on McClean at 3-0 down to say, 'there I told you so'.

25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    It has already been called the moment of the Euros. Yes, we know Ireland got whumped 4-0 by Spain last night (and it could have been more), but the Irish fans in the stadium sang for the last 6-7 minutes of the game and for about 10 minutes after continuously.

Anyway, it's often said that football commentators often ruin great emotional moments with inane chatter, [cough]Clive Tyldesley [/cough], but here's one German commentator who gets it. Other than to say 'final whistle' (I think), he shut up for the last 6 minutes, telling his audience he was going to let the Irish fans speak for themselves.

Bucky-O'Hare repped this.