Eugene, OR

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Mikey mouse, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Thanks ill survive, but if the Soccer people & businessmen in Salem did decide to create a team in the PDL with Eugene they would have a nice rivalry with Eugene and Timbers u23 and would prob get a few away fans to boost their crowds. Would not have as much travel and a PDL have no wage costs, wouldnt take huge investment, mainly just a small stadium like McCulloch Stadium, a 2,500-seat stadiuum near the city center but its a American football ground with a running track so not ideal for watching soccer.
    Ah with more research there was a club http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Surge and they struggled with crowds near the end but if they had a close rival like Eugene it might have worked better. Only one year vs Timbers u23 wasn't great as Timbers crowds the first year were not good but the last two years crowds have increased and im sure would have more away fans now than 2009 even for just the u23 team. If they all worked together it could work, if Eugene do go ahead with PDL they will have the most travel as, bar timbers u23 games there most games would be a 3-4 hour drive, not huge but increases travelling cost. If Salem struggled then its hard to see Eugene triving.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chowda and anivha repped this.
  3. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. king felix

king felix Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Shows how much teams avoid the turf at providence park. I would almost make the 90 min drive if I was more interested in the two teams. Inter does not move me

7. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it shows how much bigger the stadium in Eugene is... The top tier NCAA Power 5 football crowds are a tad bit bigger than MLS crowds...

8. king felix

king felix Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    You think more than 20,000 are going to go?

9. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To PSG vs Inter? In a soccer-mad region? Absolutely. Those are two of the biggest teams on the planet.

10. king felix

king felix Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    We will see. I don't see that many people driving to Eugene for that friendly, I know I'm not

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States