"Estoy Tri-tranquilo"...aka the '09 summer transfer thread Part 3

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Seems a little risky to me to be honest - -look how Nasri broke his leg in training yesterday !

2. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    At least it's his hand. Laporta and Co. must have had a heart attack.

Looks like Mascherano's agent is pushing really hard for him to come to Camp Nou, same link.

5. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's also an attempt to get Liverpool to raise Mascherano's salary.

Sport claims
    we are interested in Afellay. What little I've seen of him playing for Holland has been impressive. Anyone have any idea how much he would cost?

6. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Caceres has joined Juve.

7. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    link?

8. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Uh, no he hasn't.

9. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

It was on El Mundo Deportivo yesterday, but I think they jumped the gun and the story has dissapeared.

10. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    According to Fonseca he will be a Juventus player within a week or so...

I don't really know the guy. Could anyone tell me a bit about Caceres? Barca paid €20m for him a year ago. Surely he must be a good player.

11. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Caceres is young, potentially very good and knows La Liga. It's easy to guess him playing for good clubs for years as a starter, but to be a starter for Barca in the near future is maybe too much asked considering while he is good, he is nothing special really.

12. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Fonseca claims he has Cannavaro type potential. He's his agent and obviously can exaggerrate, but still. You can't make a claim like that and there not be a shred of truth to it. He'd lose his credibility as a agent and judge of talent.

13. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Which Cannavaro? Last seasons or the World Cup triumph's? Big difference in leading your team to lift the coveted World Cup and flying to hit the post while Camp Nou parties to Messi's goal..

Barcelona certainly paid the money for him because of his potential rather than his immediate performances. But to develop, to turn potential into quality week in, week out performances, you need to play matches and Barcelona is a tough place to win playing minutes. Happened to Hleb, happened to Caceres (and IMO there's a risk Bojan's evolving suffers from not playing enough).

Btw, is the Juventus deal supposed to be loan or permanent? I read somewhere that a loan with an option for them to buy if they please.

14. QuadrupleTree

QuadrupleTree New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    You could tell that from the handful of matches he started? I thought he was improving with every match he played. I'd like to see the club give him another year with more playing time before making a decision about his future. He is very gifted physically, but sometimes he makes silly decisions. However, I think with more match experience those mental mistakes will become fewer and fewer. If he realizes his potential, I could see Pique and himself as our starting defensive pairing for many years.

15. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Athletically, he is top notch. He's tall and fast. Mentally, he is prone to making dumb errors. This could either get better with experience, or he could turn into a Sergio Ramos.

16. Anyone for tennis

Mar 10, 2009
    South Saturn Delta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see much of him when he was at Recreativo but I do remember he was incredibly highly touted by the Spanish press for his performances with them. Also, one could argue that dumb decisions are par for the course with young defenders, especially when you do not play regularly and, when you do play, it is with the high expectations of Barcelona. For example, when Pique was used as a sub in the early season he had many bad decisions, it was only after he started playing regularly that he calmed down and was better.
    Either way, the only figure I saw was that we might sell Caceres for €10m. If that is true it is terrible business to sell him for half of what we payed after only a year.

17. rurik

rurik New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Caceres has great potential and Barca should hold on to him. I think loaning him out might be good for his overall potential, but I also fear for the depth of the backline with him gone. Kind of a dilemma...

18. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, especially if we could use him as Dani's backup. But if Pep is not going to play him anyway, we might as well loan him.

19. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I think the Dani Alves backup is the best role he can opt for. I would love to keep him....He is really athletic and imagine set pieces with him, Ibra, Puyol, and Pique in the box!!:eek:

20. Dos Santos

Dos Santos Member

Jun 9, 2007
    So.Cal
    Any updates on Mascherano?

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we even really interested in him? Here's an excerpt from an ESPN article on his transfer talk.

link

Honestly, just reading that makes me think there's a zero chance. I mean, Javier is tired of England, so we're supposed to hop in with a massive offer for a player we don't even need?

22. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
  23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's always difficult with people who are young, talented but don't really get to play. I mean, we need depth but our young talents don't evolve by sitting on the bench.

Talking about our defence: how good do you think Henrique is? The way I see our defence is that the ideal line-up would be Alves-Puyol-Pique-Abidal, with Puyol as RB-backup, Marquez rotating as a CB, Henrique as a CB-back up, Maxwell as a LB-backup and also Yaya can play CB if needed. We could afford to loan Caceres away for a year - but I too wouldn't want to sell him. However, suspensions and injuries always come, especially in a long season like this one.

Mascherano? I'd bet my house him not joining Barca this summer. Also, having Yaya and Busquets, he's I think too expensive to buy when there is no real need for him as a clear starter.

24. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    and keita too, no?

25. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season Pep used Keita as an attacking mid.