"Estoy Tri-tranquilo"...aka the '09 summer transfer thread Part 3

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    if I remember correctly, the club made an official statement that Eto'o was not in the manager's plans for last season

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's just preposterous the amount of people that believe that just any old striker would score bundles at Barça, and that it doesn't take a specific skill set (one that Eto'o obviously possessed) to really thrive there.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    He has certainly deserved our trust, that's for sure. I can only assume there's a lot about the Pep-Samu relationship we know nothing about. Pep himself has come out to say his decision has nothing to do with on-the-field performances or Samu's level of commitment. The decision seems based exclusively on Samuelito's personality. I hope we one day find out what it was that caused this irreparable rift.

4. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My own view is that a manager, and it doesn’t really matter at what level they manage, when they take charge of a club like to impose themselves on it. Pep has inherited his players and now he is laying down his marker, he’s in effect saying “I’m in charge and if I say ETO must go, then he has to leave”. It’s a statement to underline the fact that this is his era and what he says goes.

5. blue_3

blue_3 New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I'm hoping for an E-True Hollywood Stories type of documentary hehe

6. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactly. He can't do what Eto'o does.

7. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Nope, and I don't think anyone would claim that. He's still been incredibly successful though.

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope all this crap gets sorted out as soon as possible. To be honest, I was mostly resigned to the fact that Eto'o was leaving within a couple weeks of the season ending. I'm not thrilled with the manner in which everything has happened, but I've expressed my opinion in several posts already.

I think all this browbeating on the subject has really gotten me to the point where I just want to see it happen already. I don't want to be mired in these arguments anymore. I signed up for this gigantic cable package (the one where Comcast just wants me to forward them my checks), I'm finally going to be able to watch every game, and I just want to be excited about this season. We're going to be awesome this year, and I personally cannot wait to see Zlatan on the field with the rest of the squad.

9. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Has he? I'm not so sure I agree on that. He's getting paid obviously. But how great has his career actually been, compared with what we expected before he moved to Europe. I say he's been disappointing.

10. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Disappointing? Jesus H Christ, he's had 3 years in europe, in one he single handedly saved a club from relegation, in the other 2 he won 2 Premier League titles, 1 league cup, 1 Champions league and 1 world club championship, oh and he played in another CL final. If that is dissappointing (in 3 seasons in europe) then I can't even begin to fathom what you would regard as success. Add to that a Copa Libedetores winners medal with Boca (and runner up), a world club championship winners medal with Boca (and runner up), 2 titles with Boca, 1 title with Corinthians, 1 Copa Sudamericana, 1 Olympic gold medal all by the age of 25 then in my humble opinion that counts as a succesful career. But obviously that clearly is not enough for you. :eek:

11. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He hasn't won a regular place on a above average team. I'd say that's disappointing. If four years ago you said he'd be with City in 2010 everyone would think you were crazy.

12. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Tevez = not that great IMO. I thought he was going to be amazing when I watched him at Boca and Corinthians, but I've not been that impressed with him since he came to England. his professionalism and work-rate are first-class, don't get me wrong, it's just that the true moments of genuine class have been few and far between

13. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is fine, but if it doesn't work out, he deserves to be severely questioned, because it's clear from last year that whatever his problems with Eto'o were did not get in the way of the team's success.

The main problem with this deal to me is not its cost but its opportunity cost: we're not going to be able to get quality backups at RB, winger, and creative midfield now. We are going to have to be extremely lucky with injuries again this year, and we are playing a much fuller schedule, plus the ANC.

14. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why wouldn't you trust in Pep ??

After the season we just had !!

15. Swagga

Swagga Red Card

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So what, you are only as good as your last game. We all remember Barca winning the doubl in 06 but then getting hammered by Sevilla, losing in the World Club Cup, getting hammered by Getafe of all teams 4-0, and watching Madrid come back to win the league. This is a risky decision and if it doesn't work out things won't be looking pretty.

16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Perhaps. But we can't judge until we've seen a video.

Your first argument is a fair one. But the United match was a one-off. I prefer the comparisons of average goals scored in each league over the performance of one team in one match that happened 2-3 years ago.

When Henk Ten Cate left the club after Paris 2006 many on this board were very disappointed. He was regarded as a heavy-handed father figure that kept the players in line, and his departure left open the possibilty that the team could become complacent without his authority around. And so it proved as Rijkaard believed in "self-regulation" (his words) when it came to dealing with players who weren't focused on their job.
    Pep is no Rijkaard in this matter. If the league is lost it likely (I won't say 'definately') will not be because of player complacency. On paper, LPB do look like a decent oufit.

Also, keep in mind that both Eto'o and Messi miissed significant time through injury during that 06-07 season (including that trip to Japan) and the league was only lost by some ridiculous tiebreak rule.

17. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree - it's a risky solution which might work, but might not. I hope for the best, but in a way it seems like an unnecessary risk. Sure we need to change, and a change doesn't happen if you just get new bench warmers, but while - especially after all this "saga" - I'm happy to see the deals finalised, this is a decision which is definitely a slightly questionable. Maybe the hardest deal in years, since all our other big players in/out were kinda clear. Ronaldinho needed to go, so did Deco and Alves and also Henry were simply good to get, although especially Henry seemed expensive then.

18. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Maxwell 'only' cost 4-5m and most everyone here seems to be pleased with his arrival. So who knows what else may happen before September (or in January).

19. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zlatan has never done anything but finish on top of the table in Serie A. And before he arrived at Inter, how many titles had they won recently?

So what does that mean? Zlatan = scudetto for the past 5 seasons. He turned contenders into winners. Does that mean anything? Or are we only talking about Eto'o? Carry on screaming at the rain.

You're right...Eto'o scored important goals for us, and so we should be stupid and let him leave next summer for free. That's the way you run a successful club...sentimentality.

You said it yourself...Pep is only as good as his last game, and Eto'o's contributions are in the past. Is he the best thing for the club going forward? Not if he refuses to sign an extension and if he also refuses every transfer, then he's getting in the way of the club's well-being, and that makes him a persona non grata in my book.

20. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
  21. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lets just get it over with FFS :rolleyes:

22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We're waiting for Eto'o to agree terms with Inter. :D

23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Someone had stated a few days ago that sources out of Sweden were quoting the 50m figure, so we (the fans) should be prepared in the event that turns out to be the final price.
    All we can do now is cheer for the team to perform well with the players they have, just as we do every season. :)

24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the signings haven't happened so that Ibra can play in tonight's friendly against Chelsea.

25. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If so, what good does it do for Ibra to play friendlies with Inter if he's leaving? Is it just for him to stay match-fit? :confused: