1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    yeah, whatever. You just want something like this to happen, so you can come back here and tell us how right you were and how wrong were. Keep dreaming.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The point was that it will take either a serious injury to another player or Essien to make certain people realise that he needs a reality check. After all, he has already gotten away with two potentially career threatening tackles yet he claims (and his manager/fans) that nothing is wrong. That cannot be further from the truth.

3. shazfazam

shazfazam New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Philly area, PA, USA
    i think he might have learned his lesson when it comes to CL, hes been suspended for their next 2 matches (against barca no less)

but in terms of EPL, hes gotten away with only 1 yellow, so maybe he will continue this domestically. But if he continues it will catch up to him, he will get a rep and the refs will scrutinize him more than other players.

4. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started supporting them as a boy because they play beautiful soccer, not because of their success. The fact that they have a great coach and they dont cheat also influenced me :).

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    [​IMG]

6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Early morning laughter is a great way to start the day :D

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The Essien thing is totally over the top. Sure, his tackle on Hamann was a rough fucker, but it's a contact sport for Chrissakes. No harm done. We've all seen and/or suffered worse for our Sunday League teams, right? Well then.

Everything beyond and since that is just media bluster - and the chattering classes are lapping it up.

8. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its too bad that Cobi Jones doesnt play for the USA anymore....he'd irritate Essien to no end and surely draw a red....maybe Mastroeni can do the same. Essien is a good player, but aggressive and classless

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why is he classless - and what's wrong with aggressive?

He's a monster of a player - power, pace, strength, dynamism. Horribly overpriced, of course, but that's the Chavski tarrif in action, it's not actually significant. But what a player!

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Aggressive?

See, now this here, is exactly what is wrong with the game today.
    Too many ponces on the field, falling over and rolling around forever, stopping a good run at defenders when they have the gall to 'push' them off the ball, walking away in a sulk when the attack breaks down because they didn't get the ball....and the most annoying thing of all, is they immediatly look for the ref to card somebody when they have the ball taken off them in a good hard challenge.
    It's been creeping into the game more and more all the time, making it even harder to generate any real atmosphere in the ground these days.

In years gone by, people in the ground would be pushing forward to scream their heads off at certain players, others erupting in joy when they would get stuck into the game.Of course, this would infuriate the away support and would, in turn, get them into the game....creating....yes, you guessed it...atmosphere!

Too agressive :rolleyes:

Classless?
    You'll have to explain that one to me.

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    a Thugs fan is complaining about agression. Classic.

12. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    um, not really. The type of player you describe is a Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira or Gennaro Gattuso who refuses to take any goading from their opponents. Your man Essien makes a horrific tackle and acts like he didnt mean a thing by it (he's so clumsy and reckless that he usually doesn't), while the harder players on the team (Drogba, Terry) surround him and protect him from any retaliation.

Big difference. Essien is nowhere near a "Don't **** with me" player as you so eloquently described.

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I don't think he's horribly overpriced. Overpriced, yes, but given his age, talent and track record, not all that badly. He's the closest thing the EPL has to Vieira's successor. And now if we could only teach him to shoot from distance.............

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Of course he's horribly overpriced. You think he would have left Lyon for £32m in today's financial climate if Chelsea didn't exist (or, more accurately, existed at their more usual pegging in the game)?

He's a cracking player, but there's not a club on the planet would have put down that much for him other than Abramovich's Chelsea. Nor would they have been required to. His price is a Chelsea price. Which, by definition, means "horribly overpriced".

But that's not the issue here - £32m is peanuts to Abramovich, so relative values go out of the window.

15. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean £24m?

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Wasn't it £24.4m?

17. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Um, wasn't that 24M?

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Is there are echo in here?

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Figure irrelevant* - point remains.

* (until it drops into single digits, at least)

20. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry lad I have read a few of your posts now and your starting to believe the anti anti chelski ****************. Your turning into one of those people who won't buy music if NME recommend it even if you like it.

It is one thing to say that the media are bias, that is a given but to say that Essien isn't a dirty bastard would mean one of 3 things.

1) you haven't seen him play.

2) you are secretly Jose Mourinho

3) you are Michael Essien or one of the chelski board, fans or players.

I can't wait till Chelski play Blackburn and I hope Lucas "the scumbag" Neil is in his usual welcoming mood......

Then I hope someone puts him out of comission as well.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    first of all, I'm sure Matt watches as much football as you do. Second, we have already played the Thugs. Third, football is a physical game and sometimes, nasty tackles happen. Players know it, managers know it, media knows it and fans know it (at least most of them). Get with the program.

22. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Listen you might be able to brainwash the little muppets who don't play the game or those who are so P.C(not Peter Crouch) they would rather dissapear up there own ass rather than go against the "I'm a neutral arn't I fabulous" gang but unlike your poor excuse for a club and the one up the road from us who I have more respect for than I ever will for Chelski.....

I'M NOT FOR SALE.

Essien might be a big bloke but if he tackled me like he did Ben Haim or Hamann I would get up (assuming I could after such an assault) and do my level best to make sure he got the same treatment.

Is he the first player to ever make a dirty challenge ? No. Our own self proclaimed messiah (I'm starting to believe him) Stevie Gerrard had more than his fair share, one which stands out was the shocker on Boateng but I berrated him at the time and I will do so to Essien.

What makes Essien worse was:

In the Bolton game he had the nerve to not only try and end a young lads career but then took no responsibilty and was up the other end trying to get another player sent off. ********

In the Liverpool game it was even worse, he was so late the ref was already talking to somone over another incident having blown his whistle long before he did for Didi. Does Essien show any concern for the player? Does he apologise ? Does he acknowledge his actions ? Don't be silly lad he skulks away as he always does lucky to be on the pitch. As if that's not enough to show he is a ******** house he apologies days later, funnily enough his apology coincided with the fact he was about to be banned by UEFA.

Synical ? What Chelski ? Surely not!

Don't preach to me. Chelski are now and shall ever be a team that were rescued from mid table barring the odd good season by a russian billionaire who then set about polluting our game.

R.I.P Chelsea.

23. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    You're starting to remind me of lemons.

24. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even at Xmas you can't think of Turkey ?

[​IMG]

25. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but you've given me a picture of a homosexual spaniard doing the funky chicken, so I can think of that.