ESPN to Launch Daily Soccer Studio Program

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by LaxBandit, May 14, 2013.

1. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30-minute News and HighlightsShow Debuts August 11 as Extension of ESPN FC.

ESPN will extend the company’s ESPNFC.com global soccer news and information digital brand with its first highlights-driven soccer studio show airing in the United States this summer. ESPN FC on TV will air year round (Sunday through Friday, primarily on ESPN2) beginning August 11, it was announced today at the company’s Upfront presentation in New York City.

Sunday editions of ESPN FC will be a one-hour program – wrapping up the best highlights from the weekend’s soccer action while looking ahead to what the results mean to the teams and their respective leagues. Monday through Friday, the program will air for 30 minutes each day. ESPN FC on TV will replace the ESPN FC Press Pass, the global soccer discussion program on ESPNEWS, in the United States.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/05/espn-to-launch-daily-soccer-studio-program/

unclesox, stingbee30, Makandal and 2 others repped this.
  2. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    I am probably in the minority, but I thought PressPass was fine as it was. They had on top pundits (Sid Lowe, Gab Marcotti) and had a better international flavor. They were limited on the MLS highlights, so I see the need for that, but it is a shame they are taking off PressPass in the US.

3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't think there's much need for Press Pass since it's basically just a less interesting Football Weekly. You can get your Sid Lowe fix there.

Makandal repped this.
  4. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I remember when ESPN UK first started to show Press Pass they removed a lot of highilghts from the show and it became too UK centric. So with ESPN pulling the plug in the UK I guess they are now working highlights back into the show :)

5. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Sounds like it will be a step up from Press Pass and less UK-centric which would be great.

6. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    We knew this was coming. It was just a matter of time. This is part of ESPN's strategy to up the coverage before next year's World Cup in Brazil.

There is a lot of soccer this summer on ESPN as well.

7. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    hopefully it isn't on too late like press pass was.

8. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can assume that with ESPN's UK operations going away, Press Pass will be no more.

9. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    I assume we might start seeing some new teasers for next year's World Cup during the Confederation Cup.

10. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN FC is currently scheduled to be premiere on Sunday night, August 11 at midnight on ESPN2. The program will be shown weekdays (Monday-Fridays) from 5:30 pm ET to 6:00 pm ET and Sunday night/Monday mornings from 12:00 am ET to 1:00 am ET. (Although in September, ESPN FC will be start either at 11:30- pm ET/12:30 am ET or 1:00 am ET.)

Its lead-in during the week will be College Football LIVE. On Sunday, August 18/Monday, August 19 its lead-in will be taped NHRA Nationals-Drag Racing. On Sunday, August 25/Monday, August 26 - the lead-in will be a LIVE MLS match - Seattle Sounders vs Portland Timbers. Its lead-in in September will be either SportsCenter, Nascar LIVE or LIVE MLS matches.

ESPN2 is scheduled to show a MLS match (FC Dallas vs Los Angeles Galaxy) from 8:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET on Sunday, August 11. Theres a good chance ESPN FC will debut earlier as ESPN2 has nothing scheduled from 10:00 pm ET to 12:00 am ET.

ESPN FC may also be shown before and after soccer matches on the ESPN family of channels. (Example - ESPN may want to show it after the Bosnia-Herzegovina vs United States match on August 14 which is being shown on ESPN2 from 2:25 pm ET to 4:30 pm ET. )

11. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the schedules at ESPNMediazone.com - ESPN FC will indeed debut after coverage of the MLS match (FC Dallas vs Los Angeles Galaxy) ends on Sunday, August 11. (Earliest it will start would be 10:00 pm ET) Also ESPN FC will be shown an hour earlier on Wednesday, August 14 at 4:30 pm ET after coverage of the Bosnia-Herzegovina vs United States friendly match ends.

12. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who will be hosting/anchoring the show? It would be nice if Bob Ley was heavily involved but he's probably too tied up with OTL.

13. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hope they still use the guys via satelite.. Lowe, Burley, Laurant, even fat Marcotti. They are the real stars of the show. Excited about Max' return to footy on ESPN. Hes real dopey but I find him somewhat amusing.

14. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what makes him a great host/anchor. His odd humor is actually perfect for SportsCenter, imo. Similarly, Rob Stone is a much better host than an announcer. It was weird seeing him on FOX with the NFL theme in the background as the game was starting.

16. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Does anyone know whats up with PressPass? It didnt air on Sun night or last night? Is it done until Fc on tv?

17. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Press Pass is still running here for this week I think they are all first run episodes but going by the title and what they are talking about makes me think that they are pre-recorded like todays show was titled ESPNFC Press Pass - World Cup Memories. After the 2nd of August the show will go off the air until it get relaunched on the 12th of August as just ESPNFC

18. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are some good names on that list say what you want about Alexi Lalas but he does get people talking. love they are bring in a EX REF in also for me it adds a lot when there is a talking point about a call a ref made. if there is one thing I am happy about this is not on at 2:00 am

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOX took the "NFL theme" and made it their general "FOX Sports Theme." You'll be hearing that theme a lot in the near future...

21. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I hear it for baseball games too, which imo, isn't as strange as a soccer game on FOX lol

22. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN Names Additional Contributors and Reporters for ESPN FC on TV -
    http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...contributors-and-reporters-for-espn-fc-on-tv/

ESPN FC on TV, the company’s new global soccer news and information program, has added four contributors to its diverse roster of hosts, pundits and contributors. (LB: They are Julie Foudy, Colin Udoh, Juilen Laurens and Alison Bender. I thought Julie was included with the orginial list? Guess not!) The show launches Sunday, August 11, at 10:00 pm ET/7:00 pm PT on ESPN2.

LB: Also include in that link is info on few of the weekly segments that ESPN FC on TV is planning doing like American Aboard on Mondays and Bloopers with Tommy Smyth on Tuesdays!

Quick Q&A with Coordinating Producer Steve Palese to discuss the ESPN FC launch -
    http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2013/08...d-analysis-program-kicks-off-sunday-on-espn2/

23. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    At the end of the FA Community shield Mark Donaldson reminded viewers the new show is starting and to check your local guides when it will air in your area but apart from that I have not heard a single word of this new show on ESPN Australia.

Also from that press release it mentions for Monday they will have a segment called
    Americans Abroad – In-depth analysis by Taylor Twellman :eek: , I really hope this segment does not air here and ESPN end up doing a separate customised segment for the Pacific Rim.

24. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're nearly there! ESPN FC premieres on ESPN2 and WatchESPN in the USA tonight at 10pm ET (re-air at midnight ET).

So, we hear you ask, what's on?
    - Highlights of the weekend action, including Man United's Community Shield win, impressive starts for Bayern and Dortmund and an opening day draw for PSG
    - Debating Clint Dempsey's debut and MLS return
    - Preview of the Premier League and La Liga seasons, which begin next weekend
    - Poll: Messi or Ronaldo - who will have a better season?
    - The latest transfer news
    - Top ten goals

Talking of top tens, here's our guest list!
    Dan Thomas, Gab Marcotti, Sid Lowe, Shaka Hislop, Craig Burley, Alexi Lalas, Alejandro Moreno, Steve Nicol, Taylor Twellman and Adrian Healey.

We also want to hear from you. Please send us your thoughts on Twitter @ESPNFC.

LB: This week, ESPN FC On TV will be shown on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on ESPN2 from 5:30 pm ET to 6:00 pm ET.

There will be a special show on Wednesday from 4:30 pm ET to 5:00 pm ET after coverage of the United States-Bosnia-Herzegovina match ends. The 5:30 pm ET show on Wednesday is supposed to be a new one and not be a repeat of the 4:30 pm ET show. So we get two shows that day.

There will be no shows on Thursday and Friday. ESPN2 is showing Little League World Series games instead from 5:00 pm ET to 7:00 pm ET.