ESPN Stupidity Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Non-dairy Creamer, Oct 12, 2011.

1. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. You can get High-Definition network channels for free over the air.

2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

3. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've mentioned it before, he spends less time doing the play by play and more time trying to turn it into a storyline. It's like the complete opposite of JP - who would call out every single thing that happened like he was on radio.

you don't need an XBox, but yes - the sucky part of ESPN3 is that you need the golden ticket in order to use. I had a giant ESPN3 FAIL during the WWC Final. Had to engage the cone of silence and watch it when I got home - and my DVR ate up 10 minutes of the extra time.

4. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I agree, though I suspect it's less Darke's own doing than a dictate from above. (Or at the very least, he's doing it because he assumes it's the ESPN way.)

It's a shame. I think that spare, urgent commentating style that's natural to Darke could go a long way to conveying the sport's tension and excitement. It can show American viewers that those midfield passing sequences aren't just some extraneous part of the game, but are in fact a crucial part of the drama and build-up. When U.S. commentators ignore that to just chat about other stuff, they're missing a chance to bring viewers into the rhythm and energy of the game.

5. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    what about ps3 can i watch espn3 with ps3

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Worst part is when the games ARE NOT REPEATED on ESPN3. The "live only" Monday game on days where I used to tape a game and watch it when I got home are killing me. Or rather killing them, since I'm not exposed to the ESPN brand or their advertising for 2 hours that I would have been.

Thx,

Jay!

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I presume this is due to their contractual arrangement with FOX. Not sure why they wouldn't archive it like they do everything else otherwise.

8. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don’t think ESPN 3 is on PS 3 I just got a gaming system and when I was doing my research I did not see that it was on Ps3 I think it’s only for Xbox.

9. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't realized that they didn't/couldn't archive the EPL games they don't show on TV. All the more reason they should broadcast this on some channel somewhere so people can record it.

yeah - it's only on XBox or computer providing you have the right ISP. What's funny is the WatchESPN app for Android won't work even on WiFi with the right ISP if you don't select the right mobile network. Found that out when trying to watch one of the USMNT games on my Wi-Fi-only tablet.

10. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Because FOX wants you to watch highlights of those games at FOXsoccer.com

11. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Must be a mistake - they are showing Liverpool/Fulham today? Not Manchester United? Not Manchester City? Not Arsenal?

What happened?

No College Football Live? No PrimeTime? No NFL Live? No SportsNation? Not showing Belmont versus Memphis in College Basketball?

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool still have cache, even if they haven't finished high up the table in a couple years.

College Football Live aired from 2:30 - 3:00 ET.

13. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??

Liverpool is probably the second biggest PL brand in America. That's why the game was shown. Also because it was the only one on.

14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Despite it being the only one on, they don't show all the Monday games. I think that's what the OP was referring to.

Thx,

Jay!

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Only 5 PL brands can draw enough viewers to justify being on ESPN2 (U.S.) on Mondays:

Manchester United
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Manchester City (added this season)

The rest (starting of Tottenham) don't.

Chelsea bought it way into the "Big 4" not too long ago, displacing Newcastle.

Which club will Man City displace from the "Big 4"?

If Liverpool doesn't build a new stadium soon...

16. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    one of the highest rated EPL games this season involved none of those teams.

17. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    They are re-airing Poland versus Russia? Really!

It wasn't that great of a game. I guess there isn't anything else they could have shown tonight?

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  19. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Fail

20. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    solely filler material, they aren't making a habit of re-airing other games, tonight it's WNBA on espn2.

21. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I give ESPN a lot of schtick for not airing US road games - not airing World Cup Qualifiers. Putting games on ESPN3 and not tv.

Thanks for putting France/Spain on today.

22. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    So I thought ESPN could make money on a big four club playing on Monday?

Happy they put WBA/Southhampton on, but it makes no sense.

23. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I realize this is old, but just in case the misinformation still exists.....

There was no change which removed free networks. You can still get ABC, Fox and maybe 20+ other channels for free (in HD!) with a simple coat hanger (although you may get better results with a dedicated antenna).

What changed was that TVs build before 2005 or so need an adapter to view most of the channels. All new TVs since about 2006 do not need an adapter. If you have an old TV, you can get an adapter online, but you wont get HD.

The free HD is superior to HD you get from cable because theres no bandwidth limitation.

24. richardfromnyc

Apr 6, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It makes perfect sense, there is a EPL game on - ESPN aired it. ESPN doesn't control the epl schedule and choose which teams play on Monday night.

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Yes, but ESPN didn't air all the monday night games last season. They put more than a few on ESPN3 only.

Thx,

Jay!