ESPN Mag's story on Michael Bradley

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Prime Time, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But there are only 12 teams in the SPL. When you say St. Mirren, Livingston, Falkirk and Hamilton, that's a third of the league. If the other teams between those four and the Old Firm clubs are better than the good MLS teams, it isn't by much, IMO.

2. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd be surprised by just how much the talent dispora is in the upper crust of the teams outside of the ones mentioned. And its the team's themselves and not just individual players because their are some prospects on teams like Hamilton and Livingston for example. Once Dundee return the quality of the league will go up as well with the resources DFC have.

3. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, the majority of the Scottish National team is made up of guys playing in the Championship and guys on lower-end EPL teams, with a spattering of SPL guys thrown into the mix. The fact that the national side doesn't feature more domestically-based players would seem to indicate some of the league's shortcomings to me. The team in fourth place is thirty points behind the league leaders. That wouldn't seem to indicate depth of quality.

Anyway, I wasn't really trying to bash the SPL, just pointing out that Bradley is a starter in a league where he is consistently facing much better teams than Edu, who is not a starter for his club at this time, though he probably isn't far from being one.

4. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch a fair share of SPL, granted most of it is Rangers vs. whoever. But the only teams I can say for sure are better than the best of the MLS are Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, and Dundee United. They're a level(s) above. Motherwell and Hearts, if in the MLS would be right there with the Galaxy and the Crew.

5. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say possibly the Galaxy but again alot of MLS is League 1 (England) tactics that in some cases stunt a players growth or developement. I disagree with Hearts and Motherwell being below the Galaxy though in the simple fact that the depth in quality is more throughout the side rather than a few studs in key positions but nothing besides that.

I do want to say however that I don't want to slag off MLS; I am a big fan and hopefully will get my Vancouver Whitecaps blog up and running shortly but I still think that besides the very worst sides in UEFA Coefficent leagues 10-19; MLS's best team is not above them. And thats not even because of the talent but the tactics coaches here use which are more coach built rather than squad/system built tactics you find in Europe with certain teams.

6. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't suggesting that Hearts and Motherwell would be below the Galaxy, I just said that they would compete for best in the MLS with the Galaxy.

I agree completely on the depth comparison.

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey,don't bring LD into this!

Oh,wait.....

Ohhh,now I get it.:)

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, Bradley is the better and more proven player. But I really like Edu and it would not surprise me if he has a higher ceiling than Bradley. I very much hope he stays healthy, and I'd like to see him move away from Rangers and the SPL after a couple more seasons.

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's a higher ceiling than starting in the BL?

I'm not saying that Edu can't do as well,but that'd be damn good by itself.

I don't expect to see either of them in a CL quarter-final.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not to slight Mike or MBG, but it would be nice for one of the top teams in the BL say "he is the type of player we need" and purchase him.

Its like playing CM for Hull City or Liverpool. There is a difference between the top and the bottom of each league.

11. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever? I could see both of them getting to a top squad like that. Altidore and Davies as well.

12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cleensheetbsc gave a good reply.

Playing for #12 Gladbach is not as accomplished as playing for Leverkusen, Dortmund or Stuttgart and competing for Europa League. Playing for Bayern, Schalke, or Bremen and competing for Champions League spots is another notch higher.

There are still multiple levels above Bradley's good level at Gladbach.

I'm not predicting that Edu will someday exceed Bradley's level. All I'm saying is that Edu has some qualities that might allow him a higher ceiling than Bradley. I think Edu is a bit more agile and quicker, a smoother athlete than Bradley. That might, or might not, be enough to give him a higher ceiling. It wouldn't surprise me, but it's far from certain.

Personally, I'd like to see Edu and Bradley both playing for Champions League teams someday. It is possible, even if not probable.

13. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Just to be pedantic, Edu does play for a CL team.

14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Valid point. Big fish in the SPL small pond has some benefits.

Let me rephrase my wish:

Personally, I'd like to see Edu and Bradley both playing for Champions League teams from a top-4 league someday. It is possible, even if not probable.

15. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on.

Our best CM pairing MIGHT be a better defensive minded mid than Mike (Edu, Clark) Paired with a more offensive minded mid (Holden, Torres, Benny). I would agree that Bradley is the most well rounded CM, but that is not necessarily the best choice.

Whatever, I read this story while taking a crap, then I wiped with it.

16. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again I'll say it.

Champions League>Top 4-League>Europa League>UEFA Leagues 5-10>Liga Segunda/Championship/Serie B/Bundesliga 2>UEFA Leagues 11-16> UEFA Leagues 16-23/Mexican League>UEFA Leagues 24-28/MLS>The rest of the other UEFA Leagues/USL-1/Central American leagues. (Insert the various South American and Asian countries on your own whim if you dare)

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind me never to borrow your computer.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumping a two year old thread because I just re-read it and found it to be interesting (not as amusing as some other MB threads but more substance)...

By the way whatever happened to sidefootsitter?
    There are some good calls...
    ...and some bad ones
    [every comment by sidefootsitter]

===
    I may have to bump this thread again if/when MB90 becomes captain.....

deuteronomy and Adiaga Two repped this.
  19. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    I miss sidefootsitter.

20. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do miss the ongoing insistence on Bradley's mediocrity. I also miss the posters who insisted that Bradley was incapable of making a smart forward pass. Or passing the ball with the outside of his foot. That was a classic.

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grumpy in LA repped this.
  22. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    69 caps at age 25.

Good odds he makes 70 by age 26.

23. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a Vegas line for that? I know where my money would be.

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is his birthday. If its between now and Sept 6 I know what to bet on. If its after the 6th I also know where my money is.

25. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is July 31, easy for me to remember for some reason . . .