ESPN FC Blows!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ManuSooner, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I can deal with ESPNFC because ESPN's production of live soccer is miles better than anything FOX does.

Anyone who saw the FA Cup games should agree

2. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe any "right thinking person" believes ESPN, FOX, or NBC is going to cheerlead for the league, but how about promo the live games they you fu*king carry on your network. MLS fans know or should know by now these networks are not the destination for MLS news or content. Even there websites (the cheapest way to promote programing) are crap. The FOX website is the best by far, new content daily and tweets to drive website clicks. It's not perfect but they are making an effort. ESPN did a video for each team for preseason but you can't even find them on the team pages. Now you have content, it's done and paid for, but you don't tag it so it appears on the team page it is about. Why would that be, because ESPN has so little MLS content they don't have to tag anything. Look at the MLS Home page on ESPNFC, they still have a Cahill interview about coming to MLS on the front page. And if you click the link you get "NOT FOUND: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8220408". They also got a video box up top, one 4 min clip on MLS, 3 clips national team related. Just make some effort and most would be happy, well maybe not.

ManuSooner repped this.
  3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you are now talking about ESPN as a whole, not the ESPN FC show. You have to remember, that ESPN is in competition with FOX and now NBCSports and in terms of soccer what both networks want to lock down is the major European leagues, that is where the ratings and dollars are. John Skipper, discussed introducing the new ESPN FC show as part of his plan to challenge them.

The content is always going to be geared at audiences where the most hits are coming form. Unfortunately, for MLS fans that leaves them on the outside looking in on ESPN. The ratings for MLS are pretty bad comparatively with other soccer offerings (EPL, Liga MX, Champions League, internationals) so you really cant blame them for focusing their coverage on what their date tells them people are watching.

I will say that over time ( i remember anti ESPN threads from 2001) they have at least embraced the sport and tied in MLS news when warranted. I think people had a major freek out in 2004 when a random Edson Buddle goal for the Crew made ESPN Sportscenter. 12 years ago there was no such thing as soccer highlights on ESPN, now its common place. So baby steps, if the interest in MLS grows then you should see a move to provide content for that demand.

4. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you, any show that is covering "soccer" will have very little MLS coverage. Most people understand that, for the reasons you stated. I just wish the websites were better, but they are just extensions of the networks themselves.

It's probably a discussion for another thread, but even half of the MLS content (ie. podcast and websites) on the web are crap. The standard that is accepted as good is very low.

5. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    if i was given the opportunity to apply a bodily fluid to ronaldo, jizz would be on the very bottom of the list.

6. gaucho16

gaucho16 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Revolt repped this.
  7. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Exactly! I see people complain about this all of the time when it comes to college basketball. A lot of ACC fans are upset that the ACC doesn't do more to promote all of the teams. They don't realize it is the networks that choose to hype programs like Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, etc. No one is going to care about schools like Northwestern, or Clemson until they win 6 conference titles in a row like Duke did a while back and 4 national titles in 20 years.

8. sweethome_bama

Jul 21, 2013
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bein Sports gets more MLS coverage than ESPN.

9. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have the package that includes BeIN, but when I have seen it I have been impressed by their production values. I wonder if they will make a play at some point for MLS coverage?

10. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their production values are those of Al Jazeera Sport. Of course it's good.

11. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a post of mine from last spring when they announced ESPN Press Pass would be replaced by the new ESPN FC

12. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I watch ESPN FC via ESPN Australia and I can say they give MLS more respect than the A-league. The only time they show any highlights of our domestic league is when people tweet in and on rare occasions they will source the internet for some bad quality footage to include in one of their countdowns. They hardly even acknowledge they have a Australian audience and they do very little to attract people who are more interested in whats happening in there own backyard rather than whats happening in Europe

13. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I tried again. 15mins of Liverpool v Man City...ok
    15 mins of La Liga...Alright
    4mins of MLS highlights, with all the hosts laughing through them.
    Done

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is it an hour long show now?

15. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one was. Sunday night

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly the right advice. I just sent in my request to have more MLS coverage on ESPN FC. Only issue was the category - there is no "TV listings" category, so I put it under Watch ESPN.

17. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had similar reactions. At first I was happy that any MLS or USMNT coverage was included. However, some of the hosts are so derisive that I simply cannot stand watching the show very often. But I am still like a moth to a flame...

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN FC is to soccer coverage as Comedy Central is to a roast. Lots of characters laughing at the person/topic on hand with lots of he jokes just not funny save to the few on camera.
    Perhaps one day we will witness a TV program that takes the sport and the outcomes of these football matches very serious and brings in the snarky comments on the rare occasion as well avoids all the "I'm gonna outshine you Stevie Nicol" crap we get from this current program crew.

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really miss the days of American Soccer--that was a good and relevant show for all US Nats /MLS fans as well as including highlights of Euro leagues and Concacaf Champions League.

I also miss Fox Football Fone In--but not because it included MLS (it did but barely) --if anything that show should've been called the EPL Hour---however I always liked the program's goofiness.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beggars can't be choosers so I'll take any coverage of our MLS and U.S. soccer scene. Perhaps it is the cave man in me that wants a show to go long on the guts n' glory however. I will take what we can get, but there was the one time on that show iirc where I recall Susan Sarandon on the couch with Kyle Martino as host behind his Goodwill purchased desk and him trying to talk about the beautiful game with her. She was lost and Kyle strayed from the sport to how's Hollywood these days. It was then I wanted a Clint Mathis to just roll up to the set on his loud ass motorcycle, rev the shit outta his engine, take down a keg from his hog, crash the show and force Susan and Kyle to do keg stands while she learns who the fuk Chris Woldonowski is!

See, there are the footy programs that snarky comments and locker room banter is just what the show needs. Wynalda and that Limey dude did this good enough imho with the live call ins and the goofiness.
    Then there are the shows that are covering more of the results and player expectations going into the matches. And how these professionals are performing, i.e. earning their paychecks. To make no mention of what the results mean for the club standings, Cup advancement and fan/supporters expectations. These need never have a Taylor Twellman on a couch wearing a hipster hoodie and making really stupid jokes about players n recent results. Jokes that are so bad even Ale Moreno can't save him.

23. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah--there are goofy/banter soccer shows, there are "magazine" type soccer shows like MLS 36, nightly soccer news shows, then there are the "discuss the results" shows like The Locker Room on BeIn, and of course the weekly league review shows.

I just saw a commercial for a show on BeIn Sports--i think it's an analysis show--where they do nothing but break down plays, talk strategy and have a lot of on screen "chalk diagrams". If I remember correctly i think the show was called WOW Time. I just love the idea of this show, i cant wait to see it. This is something that I feel would take my understanding of the game to a deeper level. :thumbsup::inlove: I believe the commercial said Tuesdays at 8:30 and 11:30. Looks like i will have to set up my DVR.

Years ago I think Fox Soccer had an analysis show where the hosts were a former ref and a former coach. The difference is that that old show used to go over "controversial plays" (was it a foul or not? did the ref make a good decision?) while WOW Time will concentrate on scoring plays, defenses, etc.

24. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter what the answer is, they'll just make a wisecrack about it and then show us 25 minutes of Barcelona highlights