ESPN FC Blows!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ManuSooner, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna call it. They blow. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything else, but I was hoping. What am I basing this on?
    I recorded the most recent episode so that I could watch it and see ALL of the coverage of the opening week of MLS. Wrong...
    They went through every freaking league in the world, taking time to expound on them. And in the end, I got highlights of (2) MLS games in an hour-long show.

Hachiko, Revolt, Zoti and 3 others repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're lucky they didn't discuss what a crappy league MLS is for five minutes, because nothing beats old Scottish dudes unironically putting down another soccer league.

tigersoccer2005, Revolt, Zoti and 11 others repped this.
  3. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So ESPN stands for "Euro-Snob Pandering Network"?

------RM

Hachiko, tigersoccer2005, Revolt and 8 others repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what always confuses me is when they have guys like Taylor Twellman and Alejandro Moreno on there and not talk about MLS.
    For ********s sake, those 2 guys played in the league. Stop jizzing over Messi/Ronaldo for 10 minutes and give some respect to the local league

5. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    It's no big deal, but it's mostly about the big European leagues, that's all. They hardly ever mention Mexico, either, possibly the most popular league in this country. They have some MLS coverage, but it definitely is not their main focus. I'm fine with that, as long as I know what I'm getting.

6. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped watching after a couple of episodes. It's a show geared towards eurosobs (surprise, surprise). This is why 95% of the show is about the super clubs and Messi/Ronaldo.

esco300 and ManuSooner repped this.
  7. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, watching this last night I was pretty pissed at the lack of MLS coverage. And it's not like they had people on the show who know nothing about the league, it was Steve Nicol and Alejandro Moreno.

esco300 repped this.
  8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And how many mid- or bottom-table clubs were discussed?

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This show does a better job of covering MLS and American soccer than the previous show. I think the previous one was called something like Euro Pander Bear.

I too was really disappointed to see so little MLS coverage on last nights show. (And last night was a full hour; normally the shows are 30 minutes.) I will give the show some more time - but do suggest that we all get over to ESPN and send an email or comment noting the lack of MLS coverage.

esco300 repped this.
  10. trevor_daniles

Aug 19, 2007
    Yea i definitely tend to cut them some slack. It's opening week whereas the other leagues are in stretch run. They definitely pay attention to MLS when it matters. Their coverage of the league is good and respectul. Tommy's picks over the weekend always includes at least one MLS game. They don't have to do that. They dont bury MLS in the back of the program. If it's important, they'll show towards the top of the show and sometimes even lead off with it. I think ESPN does a good job with their games as well. MLS fans tend to bash it too harshly.

11. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This post is off topic, but I didn't know where to post it. I got the FIFA app for iOS yesterday. I like it. I picked MLS, BPL and Liga MX. What is the best soccer app to get? Also, is Liga MX on tv a lot in the States? Is it on Univision a lot? Thanks for the help.

12. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I have SiriusXM and I can listen to; The Football Show, Over The Ball, and Counter Attack I don't really need ESPN anymore. So screw them! :)

13. To the Byline

To the Byline Member

Jan 27, 2014
    United States
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    ESPN FC is a show geared towards average soccer fans and average soccer fans in this country are far more interested in major European leagues than MLS. The amount of coverage MLS gets on ESPN FC is commensurate with its relevance and popularity.

Hachiko and Onionsack repped this.
  14. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    It's dumbed down to the Euro noobs.

Hachiko, Fanatical Monk and ManuSooner repped this.
  15. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I realized how STUPID European domestic leagues are when I saw the last segment of Tommy's picks.

There was maybe ONE game that was going to be a contest out of 5 or 6 "big games" for that weekend.

Arsenal vs. Everton
    Freiburg vs. Dortmund
    Udinese vs. AC Milan
    Real Madrid vs. Levante
    Juventus vs. Fiorentina

http://espnfc.com/video/espnfc/video/_/id/1740749/league/us-espnfctv?cc=5901

What bothers me is MLS was on this weekend, opening weekend, and they didn't do a single MLS pick? Seattle/SKC, Portland/Philly and LA Galaxy/RSL were more even clashes than all of those. Freiburg is 17th (of 18 teams) in Bundesliga and Dortmund is 2nd. Not saying they can't win but come on... Who the hell is interested in that game?

Wonder if Seattle/Toronto this weekend will make their pick'em selection....

16. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I was under the impression the show was shown in Europe, or at least the UK, which would explain why so little MLS.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh come on, even for straight guys that is hard to do. :p

Hachiko and 15 to 32 repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW You guys would hate ESPN Deportes.

Beirut repped this.
  19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, I guess I'll stick with Over The Ball and counter Attack until something better comes along. Even Men In Blazers talks about MLS SOMETIME!

20. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Wasn't a league game, and they drew in December.

Was a mismatch but it ended 0-1.

Udinese won this game, they're below Milan in the table.

Reverse fixture ended 2-3 so there was some potential even though it didn't materialize.

Ended in a 2-2 draw. They're big rivals and Fiorentina is fighting for a European spot.

So, did you just see the Arsenal result and start ranting from there or what?

Mucky repped this.
  21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its still better than Ian Joyce and his faker than Brad Friedal accent over on beIn ...

22. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are those shows or channels?

23. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are all shows on Channel 94, SiriusXM FC
    M-F 6-8am: The Football Show (Charlie Stilitano and others. Mostly Euro talk)
    M-F 4-6pm: Counter Attack (John Harkes and Tony Meola. Alot more US soccer)
    M, F 8-9am: Men In Blazers (Amusing soccer talk. Two Brits in America)
    T-Th 8-10am Over The Ball (Comedian Kevin Flynn. Alot of US soccer talk)

24. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what amuses me is that people still have expectations of ESPN when it comes to MLS. I gave up on that network 15 years ago.

TabLalas and ManuSooner repped this.
  25. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would ESPN FC's programmers and producers "pack in" a bunch of MLS highlights and soccer stuff when the overwhelming majority of their audience wants to see and hear about the major leagues in Europe? ESPN doesn't get anything out of gratuitous promotion of MLS, and apparently their data suggests that the MLS stuff isn't in as much of a demand as other content.

Polemarch repped this.