ESPN/ESPN2 Coverage of Euro 2012: Like it or not?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by bwiorly, Jun 8, 2012.

1. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Florida State-Arizona game ended at 8:34 pm ET and with a 55 minute break
    between games (ok, I was off 5 minutes!) the South Carolina-Arkansas game will start
    at 9:30 pm ET. Pardon The Interruption is on right now with Euro 2012 Tonight to follow
    afterwards, probably starting at 9:00 pm ET. So we are going to have a Euro 2012 Tonight
    DH of sorts - premiere showing on ESPN2 - 9:00 pm ET-9:30 pm ET - repeat showing on
    ESPN - 9:30 pm ET-10:00 pm ET.

Update - They only showed 20 minutes of Pardon The Interruption as Euro 2012 Tonight
    started at 8:54 pm ET. So the first showing will end at 9:24 pm ET - with coverage of the
    South Carolina-Arkansas game starting then with a short pre-game as first pitch is scheduled
    for 9:30 pm ET. Go Arkansas! LB...

2. ShevaDani

ShevaDani Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MIGHTY EUROPE:D
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    right.euro championship is much better.

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I have the Sunday game listed on ESPN, with the Portland-Seattle MLS game to follow immediately after at 3PM.

If the England-Italy game is tied, it goes to extra time, right? What happens to the MLS game, does it go to ESPN2 until the completion of the quarter final game? Whatever happens, the quaterfinal game isn't interrupted or moved, right?

4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    There's no way they'd move the qf. I'm pretty sure they'd start the Portland game on ESPN2

5. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    MLS match will start on ESPN3.com on time (as usual). If enough people were to light up the switchboard, then there is a possibility that ESPNEWS Network will simulcast until ESPN(1) becomes available.

ESPN2 has taped billards, which may be a time-buy. When time is sold, it stays sold.

6. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    ESPN broadcast is 5 seconds behind my BBC stream.

7. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I cant find the game on espn3 whats going on!

8. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Are you in the United States of America at the moment?

9. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    I was wrong. ESPN2 will have Portland vs Seattle according to Bob Ley's announcement on camera.

10. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    What will it be bumping?

11. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    MLS bumped taped billards for 40 minutes on ESPN2 before Euro 2012 finished up in penalties.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until it doesn't.

13. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN Production Enhancements Help Break Down The Action
    At UEFA EURO 2012

ESPN has demonstrated its leadership in production technology by using
    four virtual elements created by ESPN Emerging Technology to enhance
    the company’s presentation of UEFA EURO 2012. EA Tabletop, ESPN Axis,
    Advanced Replay Tool and two new Touch screens have all been utilized in-
    studio during pregame, halftime and postgame segments on ESPN, ESPN2
    and ESPN Deportes.

The innovations are highlighted by the debut of the EA Tabletop, a spinoff of the
    EA Sports Virtual Playbook that uses 3D simulations of players and formations.
    ESPN Axis, which debuted on ESPN during UEFA EURO 2008 and was most
    recently used during the 2010 World Cup, has also been used. The technologies
    enable ESPN and ESPN Deportes analysts to give viewers a context beyond lineups
    and goals for a richer look at each match.

“With every event our goal is to develop production enhancements that will bring the
    fan closer to the game or help them better understand the nuances involved in the sport,”
    said Anthony Bailey, vice president, emerging technology. “For EURO 2012 we added the
    virtual tabletop element to our existing technologies (ESPN Axis, advanced replay tool and
    touchscreen) to give our analysts a dynamic way to breakdown the play on the pitch.”

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/06/espnenhancementseuro2012/

14. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inside ESPN Deportes Euro 2012 Studio.

In anticipation of this week’s Euro 2012 semifinals and final match, Front Row visited
    ESPN Deportes’ Fuera de Juego studio, which was built specifically for coverage of this
    soccer tournament. ESPN Deportes, using emerging technologies to enhance its coverage,
    has produced more than 35 Fuera de Juego shows in the past 19 days for Euro 2012.

In the video (LB - edit - thats included in the link below) analyst Jose Antonio (Tato)
    Noriega talks about the transformation of studio A in Bristol, Conn., ESPN Deportes’
    coverage of the tournament, interacting with fans through social media and more.

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2012/06/inside-espn-deportes-euro-2012-studio/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: espnfrontrow

15. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    They are not in Poland?

16. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Great tournament, great coverage. Too bad La liga will have limmited coverage in the next 3 years, but you can only blame La Liga for not thinking long term.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I actually think the pre- and half-time shows have gotten worse.

Bob Ley is too differential and not very discerning.

All Ballack has is nice hair (and yes, I am jealous); otherwise, he just diverts attention away from the discussion.

Which may go something like this tomorrow.

Ley : Michael, this is a very talented German squad.

Ballack : Jaja.

Ley : And it must be due to an incredible influx of young players.

Ley : Who are some of the standouts among these young stars?

ESPN should have done what Löw did in 2010 and drop the guy.

bigtw64 repped this.
  18. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

Ballack was injured in the 2010 FA Cup final. That's why he wasn't in South Africa.

19. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    All in all the coverage was above average. I think it could have been better (I could have gone without any former USA players' commentary) but it is what it is.

I like the fact I hear more and more people on the radio talking about soccer. Mike and Mike in the morning have both said they have enjoyed the Euros due to the competitive matches, high skill level compared to some World Cup matches, and time slot when nothing else is good on TV.

John Kincade (ESPN's Sunday Morning radio host) mentioned how he is rooting for Italy since he lived in an Italian Neighborhood in Philly and knows how passionate some of his friends are about the game.

Stuff like that helps grow the game slowly. Prior to this I rarely heard people on the radio talking about soccer in Non-World Cup years.

20. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Don't forget who is actually responsible for all the positive coverage of Euro 2012 across all media platforms at the Worldwide Leader:

John Skipper

Skipper made a bet on Euro 2008 (a product that his precessor would NOT touch), and was able to deliver what he promised to advertisers and his boss: a young audience existed in the U.S. in sufficient numbers to support a product with no American athletes involved.

The momentum continued with World Cup 2010.

Now that Skipper is the boss at the Worldwide Leader, Skipper and Co. raised the bar with Euro 2012 by putting the muscle of ESPN, Inc. behind the project: TV, online, radio, English, Spanish, research and analytics. Every resource available to the 4-letter empire was deployed. Heck, even BCS guru Brad Edwards is involved (on the research and analytics team.)

21. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    What are you talking about?

GOLTV is in 13 million households. ESPN Deportes is in 6 million households.

The next Barcelona-Real Madrid clásico will be taken to the next level by the news U.S. video rights holder.

NBC Sports Network is in 80 million households.

(CNBC is in 96 million households if NBC Sports Network were not available due to college football.)

Telemundo is in 80 million households.

beIN SPORT USA LLC should have no trouble selling enough advertising to recoup the time-buy fees to put el clásico on NBC Sports Network and Telemundo.

(And I don't want to see anyone post that I have no "proof". Use your common sense. With dirt cheap TV time available from NBC Sports Network, it would make no sense for beIN SPORT USA LLC to bury el clásico. There are only two opportunities in 2012-2013 for beIN SPORT USA LLC to use NBC Sports Network to conduct major publicity events to get the beIN SPORT brand out to the general public, and anyone with half a brain will use both opportunities.)

22. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup, but the way you put it sounds very contrived. These examples I mention sounded very sincere in trying to relate to the soccer fans and the passion. I like that.

23. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The radio guys are broadcasters.

Broadcasters are entertainers.

Entertainers in general are trained actors.

Don't be so naive.

(Perhaps I am overly cynical, having had to deal with way too much nonsense in the past 17 years.)

24. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I know, I know.

Just the way it was brought up seemed a bit more genuine then the usual let's mention soccer cause it is on our airwaves type of thing.

25. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004

Dude, stop the speculation about NBC Universal. That is why when you bring this subject up I walk away. There is no sign that NBC Universal will go to bed with beIN whatever