ESPN/ESPN2 Coverage of Euro 2012: Like it or not?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by bwiorly, Jun 8, 2012.

1. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Keller is OK as a studio analyst, but not as a match analyst. Too many obvious observations.

In any case, Keller has finished his shift at Bristol and he will be returning to Sounders FC broadcasts, starting with the one in Montreal this Saturday. Taylor Twellman will be Derek Rae's partner for the "C-team" through the group stage.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why unset it if the DVR is smart enough to record it? I noticed that my DVR had re-programmed itself to record the 2 AM shows. Check your ESPN2 listings about 2-3 hours after the last game ends. I see a lot of scheduled airings during those times.

3. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm surprised Keller is so disliked. I remember him as a pundit for Sky Sports on CONMEBOL qualification and thinking he was quite good.

4. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the 3-4 times It's been recorded only once was actually the Euro Tonight program - and that was the time it aired right after the game on ESPN on Saturday. 2 times on ESPN I got the end of one of the games earlier that day and one time was the College Baseball stuff. And the schedule for ESPNews doesn't list it at 11:30 or midnight. Although maybe Huhe meant midnight pacific. Anyways I'll check again on News but the schedule changes are too much for me to deal with especially when other things I'm recording get bumped because of it.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He's neither flashy, nor is he mind-numbingly bland. He's simple, straight forward, and does just enough to deliver the goods. His role is almost like that of a Chris Fowler which would be to moderate and keep the discussion moving, but without all the unnecessary flash.

We need more of him and we need more like him.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It used to be at 9 PM PT, midnight ET. It's now at 11 PM ET, 2 AM ET with an occasional showing a few hours earlier, usually on ESPN2.

7. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    tweelman second goal for portugas is common sense for everybody that knows football ronaldo is going back post postiga is coming toward first post. and about dutch r van persie had more chances and didn't score why are they pointing at robben only.and snijder is a creator from midfield not robben and he created but rvp and huntelar missed it

8. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Keller is good as a studio pundit, but not nearly as good as an analyst during the match itself.

Keller is not under contract with either ESPN or FOX. His primary TV deal is with Seattle Sounders of MLS. His shift with ESPN during Euro 2012 should be over now that Twellman is in Bristol for the remainder of the group stage.

Don't be surprised to see Keller as a studio pundit on beIN Sports USA in the near future. He has both La Liga (Rayo Vallecano) and EPL (Leicester, Tottenham, Fulham) on his resume in addition to the US Men's National Team.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think he'll go sleeveless?

7spencer7 and TJNash repped this.
  10. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Euro 2012 Tonight schedule (besides daily re-air on ESPNEWS Network at 11pm PT/2am ET)

Wednesday June 13: AFTER WNBA on ESPN2 at approx. 10pm ET

Thursday: 5pm ET on ESPN2 right after the 2nd match

Friday: no airing on ESPN or ESPN2, only airing on ESPNEWS Network at 11pm PT/2am ET

Saturday: 5pm ET on ESPN2 right after the 2nd match

Sunday: no airing on ESPN or ESPN2, only airing on ESPNEWS Network at 11pm PT/2am ET

Monday: no airing on ESPN or ESPN2, only airing on ESPNEWS Network at 11pm PT/2am ET

Tuesday June 19: 9pm ET on ESPN2

Wednesday June 20: off day

Thursday June 21: 8:30pm ET on ESPN2, 9:30pm ET on ESPN

Friday June 22: 8:30pm ET on ESPN2

Saturday June 23: 5:30pm ET on ESPN2 (time approximate due to possible extra time & penalties)

Sunday June 24: 11pm ET on ESPN2

Monday June 25: off day

Tuesday June 26: off day

Wednesday June 27: 5pm ET on ESPN2 (time approximate due to possible extra time & penalties)

Thursday June 28: 5pm ET on ESPN2 (time approximate due to possible extra time & penalties)

Friday June 29: off day

Saturday June 30: off day

Sunday July 1: 5pm ET on ESPN2 (1-hour show, time approximate due to possible extra time & penalties)

--

College World Series Baseball starts on ESPN2 (and ESPNU) this Friday June 15.

Wimbledon starts on ESPN2 on June 25.

11. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the same with Harkes and Twellman. They're really good at breaking tactics down after the match is over, but when on the spot they can't really come up with words to explain it and have to ponder over it later on. Wynalda, IMO, is a good game analyst. He isn't afraid to criticize anyone and will give praise when needed.

12. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks

13. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you miss todays LIVE showing of Euro 2012 Tonight - 5:00 pm ET- 5:30 pm ET
    on ESPN2 and don't want to wait until the ESPN News repeat - its scheduled to be
    repeated later tonight - 11:30 pm ET-12:00 am ET - on ESPN2.

14. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    There are very few really sharp game analysts in any sport.

With that said, the most well-known game analysts are more known for their comedy acts than for their analysis.

Examples from soccer: Ray Hudson, Tommy Smyth

Examples from U.S. "mainstream" sports: Dick Vitale (college basketball), Darrell Waltrip (NASCAR)

Examples from golf: Gary McCord, Andy North

Examples from tennis: John McEnroe, Patrick McEnroe, the Jensen Brothers

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
  16. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The McEnroe brothers are hardly a comedy act. Both are excellent commentators. The same for Andy North.

17. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "scheduled to" the operative phrase :)

18. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The Tuesday June 19 airing of Euro 2012 Tonight on ESPN2 has been moved to 9:30pm ET.

19. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
  20. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Opening 3-shot from the Press Pass segment on Mike and Mike at approx 6:12am ET on Friday June 15:

[​IMG]

21. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm okay with Keller, especially since I've got some Darke burnout.

22. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Last Euro 2012 Studio Show for Kasey Keller on Friday.

He will be in Montreal to call the Seattle Sounders match on Saturday.

--

Rebecca Lowe is hosting Euro 2012 studio shows for ESPN U.S.

Analysts: Michael Ballack, @AlexiLalas @KaseyKeller18

23. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Well, here's where these studio guys will earn their money. We've got a weather delay in the Ukraine-France match that's gonna last god-knows-how-long.

(EDIT) Until at least the top of the hour, it turns out. Time to stttrreeeccchhhhh....

24. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should rollout some footage of classic Euro goals of yesteryear.

25. epugnac

epugnac Member

May 29, 2012
    I have basic cable, so I've only got ESPN in SD. The picture quality is horrendous - its got some kind of smoky grey tone. I can't make out which player is touching the ball or even their jersey numbers. Strangely, ESPN3 picture quality is better than ESPN in SD. So I prefer to watch the game on ESPN3.