ESPN/ESPN2 Coverage of Euro 2012: Like it or not?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by bwiorly, Jun 8, 2012.

1. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    The guys from ESPN Deportes are sport journalist, and like any sport journalist they have to do their research about all events. No newscaster is an expert, but with hard work and research, they can sound knoledgeable. In addition, notice that not all sport journalist from ESPNDeportes are Mexican, but they can talk about Mexican futbol like if they were experts.

Latin American sport journalist know a great deal of European and International football, because they have to know it. Football is international.

2. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    From Alexi Lalas' Twitter feed, one can infer that Alexi is working to bring Michael Ballack up to speed.

Ballack was better on Monday. More assertive, more confident, and willing to take stands against Lalas i.e. England's ultra-defensive play during the 2nd half.

Keep watching this work in progress, as Ballack will be around through July 1.

3. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    TV is a VISUAL medium. That means pictures.

If you don't care for pictures, another medium exists to cater to your preference: RADIO.

4. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oliver is the only guy on earth who watches soccer for the sole reason of pleasuring himself to the host of the pre-game show.

simont repped this.
  5. richardfromnyc

Apr 6, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Even your avatar is that of Rebecca Lowe....and you've posted the same Rebecca Lowe pics on two threads. Any amateur psychologist will say that this is disturbing.

simont and FallOfFingolfin repped this.
  6. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was terrible, but I thought it was a bit much them basically trying to get him to bury Balotelli when he will have to play with him (maybe) in the future.

7. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with 95% of this especially the Michael Cox part. The lack of tactics talk (and no that stupid ESPN Axis doesn't count), while not unexpected, has taken away from the studio show. Especially with Italy-Spain where it was begging for a good 5 minutes of grease board work.The studio show is so watered down and repetitive.

WRT the commentators, Darke shines only when EPL players are present. Macca is useless IMO. I'd even take Keller over him, so you know how much I don't like him. I want the color guy to tell me something I can't see. Not that guys are tiring in the 80th minute in 85 degree temps.

8. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Monday's Euro 2012 Tonight:

ESPN2 - AFTER Arkansas @ Baylor NCAA Baseball Super Regional Game 3, at approximately 10pm ET

ESPNEWS Network - 11:59pm ET

Cast: Bretos, Ballack, Lalas

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Dont like Darke at all. He's the typical English announcer who always tries to shoehorn in EPL or English national team references whenever possible because thats all he knows. For example, he'll tell you that Andriy Voronin plays for Dinamo Moscow and of course at some point he'll remind you that he played for Liverpool but no mention of any of the German teams he played for.

10. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Ley has been doing a commendable job since Espana82. Knows his limitations but is the consumate professional IMO.

Kryptonite repped this.
  11. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    My favorite moment of the day was when maca asked Darke what formation he thinks england will play when rooney comes back. Hello there, what are they paying you for maca?

12. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what will they be wearing?

simont repped this.
  13. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again a no show. Nothing but baseball and a CWS studio show. But the FSR and Euro 2012 Football Daily podcast are good enough.

14. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The Euro 2012 show aired on ESPN2 at 10:30pm ET.

The ESPNU baseball studio show padded time until 10:30pm ET because the Arkansas vs Baylor baseball game took 10 innings to complete. 1-0. Tense game.

College Baseball is fun to follow this time of the year, with so many elimination games played by kids under lots of pressure.

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Interesting studio panel on Tuesday June 12:

Host: Max Bretos

Analysts: Kasey Keller, Taylor Twellman, Fernando Palomo

Palomo has been a "lifer" at ESPN since his graduation from Texas A&M University on a track and field scholarship. He threw the javelin at Texas A&M as well as for the El Salvador Olympic Team. His brother Eduardo (also a Texas A&M graduate) is the president of the Salvadoran Olympic Committee. Palomo anchored SportsCenter (Latin America) from Buenos Aires, Argentina before he was transferred to Mexico City to anchor SportsCenter (Mexico) for ESPN Deportes (US) and ESPN Dos (Mexico, Central America, Dominican Republic, and Venezuela). Palomo then moved on to Bristol, Connecticut where he has hosted Fuera del Juego and has called soccer play-by-play, including UEFA Champions League, La Liga, Copa del Rey, and English Premier League on ESPN Deportes and the Spanish-language networks of ESPN in Latin America.

16. Evrababy

Evrababy Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Eugene OR
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas is terrible. Always has been. He's a blowhard loudmouth with nothing useful to say that dominates the conversation with his misplaced conviction.

17. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Rebecca Lowe is hosting Euro 2012 on Tuesday night as I write this.

She is wearing a bright red top with a white suit jacket. Still more conservative than usual.

Analysts: Kasey Keller, Taylor Twellman, Fernando Palomo

Re-airs: 10:30pm ET on ESPN2, 11:59pm ET on ESPNEWS Network.

18. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Creepy

kenntomasch and simont repped this.
  19. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol,in fairness Rebecca Lowe is a damn sight more attractive than most football hosts.

20. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

21. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The daily re-air of Euro 2012 Tonight has been moved from 11:59pm ET to 2am ET/11pm PT effective immediately.

22. themaestro

themaestro Member

Nov 9, 2005
    No, the only thing I'm concerned with is the quality of Keller, he's been awful. I don't know how anyone can take him. Almost laughable anyone likes Keller commentating, I respect him as a GK but he is awful. Ballack struggled at the start and he isn't the most colourful or dynamic guy around, but I've enjoyed some of his input and analysis. I don't care if he struggles projecting his thoughts into English and isn't flashy or "Hollywood" on set. Keller makes my ears bleed for 90mins+.

Perhaps you're just being a bit of a xenophobe here.

23. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As an East Coaster, I'm DVR'ing everything and watching it at night after the kids are put to bed.

I fast-forward through the pre-game and HT and post-game shows to be perfectly honest. I watched some over the weekend and it was fine, nothing spectacular. I think Keller's a little weak as a color guy, like Lowe in the studio, wish they had Waldo.

I'm more pleased with the clutter-free game broadcast, much better than the obtrusive graphics overload from previous broadcasts.

Glad to see the ratings are doing so well.

24. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Yeah, my comment was just oozing with fear of foreigners.

25. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't deal with the constant reshuffling. Unset from DVR. The FSR does a decent job of covering everything. Though I must admit yesterday's studio panel was the best one yet. Figures - no Lalas or Ballack.