ESPN/ESPN2 Coverage of Euro 2012: Like it or not?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by bwiorly, Jun 8, 2012.

1. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'd like to go beyond the Michael Ballack bashing that will undoubtedly start soon (EDIT: seems to have started already) and have a more general thread about the quality (or possible lack thereof) of ESPN/ESPN2's coverage of the Euros.

Overall, big thumbs up for the Bristol boys on this first day of the tournament as far as I'm concerned. The production is top-notch, the Drake-McManaman duo works really well, and while yes, Ballack is a big question mark (why didn't they ask Roberto Martinez back?), I like Bob Ley and (to a lesser extent) Alexi Lalas in the studio. Also, excellent decision to stick with Euro between the two games and not cut away to ESPN News or a filler program. So far, so good--keep it up ESPN!

What do you guys think?

2. themaestro

themaestro Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Don't like Keller announcing.
    The studio part is ok, Ballack clearly needs to improve though. There's going to be a lot of awkwardness if he can't and Lalas has to carry the show lol.

I love watching in beautiful HD though. Enjoying it so far. :)

3. BSjanitor

BSjanitor Member

Jun 11, 2004
    ESPN's Coverage looks great. Great image quality and no big, flashy obtrusive graphics in-game. Good post-game highlights of both matches after Russia - Czech Rep. That's all I care about.

In studio, Ballack just wasn't getting some of the questions. He clearly hasn't been speaking much English since he went back to Leverkusen.

4. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rae is too boring and too bland. Ballack is always wispering like a golf announcer and Keller is ok...

5. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I enjoy the fact that I can stream it while at work via ESPN3 and Watch ESPN on my phone. Both worked very well for me today and I used Watch ESPN on both wireless as well as 3G.

Ballack is not even close to Roberto Martinez as a guest analyst. At least he's not Taylor "Why doesn't everyone play 4-4-2" Twellman.

6. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Good first Euro 2012 Tonight show with a really sharp Rebecca Lowe, asking pointed questions and Ballack already a bit more comfortable than earlier in the afternoon. Overall, a solid first day on ESPN.

7. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Ballack was drowned out by Lalas and Keller during the 1st segment of Euro 2012 Tonight.

The producer made an adjustment during the 1st break by removing Keller in order to give Ballack a chance.

Ballack is not used to the aggressive nature of American punditry/analysis. He needed to be prompted by Rebecca Lowe before making his comments.

--

Any reaction to the choice of Rebecca Lowe as host of Euro 2012 Tonight?

Having someone such as Lowe (British, female) host a studio show for the U.S. audience during a major international soccer event was unthinkable 6 years ago. Times have changed, market conditions have changed, and attitudes have changed.

--

On Saturday and Sunday, Euro 2012 Tonight will air at 5pm ET on ESPN.

Euro 2012 Tonight is re-aired at 11:59pm ET each night on ESPNEWS. Consistent time slot through July 1.

8. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see this on the schedule. Is this an unannounced airing?

ESPN coverage was pretty good. I wasn't as put off by Keller as most people and I do appreciate ESPN banging the Dutch racism thing. But, as usual with ESPN's cup coverage, there's no interaction with fans on the street/outside the stadiums with the exception of the big aerial shots of the fan zones. Even the field pieces, for which they were so lauded for in South Africa, were nowhere to be seen.

DISCLAIMER: I've not watched Euro 2012 Tonight yet so maybe there's more there. Hoping the announced 7:30am replay on ESPN2 actually materializes.

9. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Euro 2012 Tonight is re-aired at 11:59pm ET each night on ESPNEWS.​
    Consistent time slot through July 1.​
    I don't see this on the schedule. Is this an unannounced airing?

LB: Taken from the ESPN Euro 2012 Press Release which was on
    the ESPN Mediazone.com website on Thursday -

Euro 2012 Tonight - A 30-minute, news, highlights and analysis program
    recapping the days match and looking ahead to the next day. 19 editions
    of the program will air on match-days across ESPN and ESPN2 and at a
    consistent time (12:00 pm ET – 12:30 am ET) on ESPNEWS.

LB: So it was announced - just the schedules in some places haven't yet
    been updated.

10. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go behind the scenes of ESPN's Euro 2102 Open The Fire Within -

When EURO 2012 kicks off today in Poland and Ukraine, ESPN’s coverage will
    begin (at 11:30 am ET) with an opening video, The Fire Within, aimed at helping
    ignite the passion that fans have for this world-class event.

ESPN’s Creative Content Unit and Emerging Technology group worked with Victory
    Pictures -the production company behind ESPN’s themedMondayNight Football and
    FIFA World Cup 2010 opens - as well as a group of staff and students from Full Sail
    University in Winter Park., Fla., to produce the opening video.

But getting the project done wasn’t easy.

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2012/06/go-behind-the-scenes-of-espns-euro-2012-open-the-fire-within/

11. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opps! that should read 12:00 am ET-12:30 am ET - for some reason I
    changed the am to pm there when I went to space out the info above.

LB: So it was announced - just the schedules in some places haven't yet
    been updated.

Update - My on-the screen TV guide - which is TVGuide based - does show
    that ESPN News will have Euro 2012 Tonight from 12:00 am ET to 12:30
    am ET - daily when matches are played the previous day. I know it wasn't
    there when I checked on Friday morning - "Highlight Express" was listed.
    So it looks like schedules have been updated. Anyway, nice to know theres
    a replay scheduled in case I miss an earlier showing.

12. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm already dreading Fox's handling of the WC starting in 2018. ESPN has spoiled us with coverage of these big tournaments, ever since '08. Euro 08 laid the groundwork for bringing in outside talent and giving the event its due, they continued it with really good coverage of the Confederations Cup the next year...and we all know how incredible 2010 was. This production seems certainly comparable, though understandably pared down a bit. I missed yesterday's matches but caught Euro Tonight and it was great.

It's good that we still have ESPN on these tourneys until 2018, though I wonder how much of their heart will be in 2016, with no WC to build up to.

13. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    In this business everyone who works at ESPN could be at Fox by 2018. You just never know.

14. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. We can only hope.

I forgot my one little complaint about the Euro coverage so far. They're using the same theme from 2010--which is clearly supposed to sound African. It just doesn't fit. They should have kept the same tune but re-arranged it to sound Eastern European.

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Bingo.

About the only one who will NOT move from ESPN is Bob Ley, who is a "lifer" at ESPN and will probably stay in Bristol until he decides to retire on his own terms.

==

No complaints about Rebecca Lowe so far. Whatever mental barriers that may have existed 6 years ago is now gone. Having an intelligent and sharp British female presenter host a studio show for the U.S. audience during a major international soccer tournament does not present an issue to the audience or the media critics.

==

Don't forget about Qatar Media's new beIN Sports USA TV network, which will need to ramp up English-language production from Miami by August 2013 if it were to end up with EPL in the next cycle (in an expected partnership with NBCUniversal i.e. NBC Sports Group and Telemundo.)

A nightly news program on beIN Sports USA will require a rotation of 4 news anchors (I recommended the VP of Production, with whom I have done business since 1995, to hire all females and put them behind a transparent desk a la Central FOX.)

Not to mention that beIN Sports USA will need 2 studio hosts on a typical Saturday if Big East Conference sports were also in the mix starting January 2014 (via a barter deal with NBC Sports Group) in addition to EPL, Serie A, and La Liga. One host for EPL from 7:30am ET to 2:30pm ET, and another host from 2:30pm ET to possibly as late as 2am ET (at the end of the Big East football game hosted by San Diego State or Boise State.)

Remember that Max Bretos is from Miami. Max's deal with ESPN will expire in December 2012.

I posted in another thread that beIN Sports USA is considering a candidate similar to background and qualification as Rebecca Lowe: former CNN/Sports Illustrated and CNN International World Sport anchor/reporter Candy Reid, who still lives in the Atlanta area (and works as a tennis club pro) with her family (British husband who owns an Atlanta-based IT consulting firm specializing in IBM mid-range hardware and database software, 5-year-old son, 3-year-old daughter.) Candy is a former all-SEC tennis player at Tennessee. She was born in London and is a big Liverpool fan. She got her big break in May 2001, when the primary anchors of World Sport were at the UEFA Champions League final and she filled in as anchor one evening, at the age of 23. She quit last December after 12 years at CNN, presumably because the brutal work hours (6pm-3am on Fridays and Saturdays plus 3 days of reporting on the road each week) was affecting her health and her ability to raise her children correctly. (candyreadsports.com, @CandyReadsports on Twitter.)

[​IMG]

16. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Rebecca Lowe will host Euro 2012 Tonight on both Saturday and Sunday at 5pm ET on ESPN (U.S.), with re-air at 11:59pm ET on ESPNEWS Network.

Rebecca will have the day off on Monday. Max Bretos will host.

17. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    why do english commentator have to always insert epl in everything but no other league. rvp tha plays for arsenal but never robben that playes for bayern

unclesox repped this.
  18. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Great coverage, both on tv and radio. I turn the tv and listen to the radio just like when we were back in our birthplace.

Fox, will do a good job with the world cup. They have plenty of assets in place to do a great coverage.

19. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    In terms of ESPN's coverage it may be because ESPN has some rights to the Premier League so they believe that tying the two together will hopefully transfer viewers of the Euros to the Premier League next season. No reason for them to pump up the Bundesliga since they don't have the rights.

Actually, I just heard one of the commentators state that Robben drives inside all the time for Bayern. They just commented that Poulsen for Denmark plays with Jozy at AZ.

20. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    Fox has plenty of assets to do a great job with the Champions League final and have yet to do so. Strahan's segment from a couple years ago was terrible.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  21. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    that could be because they are not saying affalay kjaer van bommer or snijder are playing in serie a or la liga. snijder is former ajax player not inter player. and i agree this has something to do with bein taking la liga and serie a

22. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darke and Macca are great together.

Lithium858 repped this.
  23. richardfromnyc

Apr 6, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Your not listening - they did mention Allefalay plays for Barcelona and had a injury filled season. They mentioned Von Bommel had a good year with AC Milan and Sneijder had an injury filled season with Inter. They also mentioned that the Goalkeeper for Denmark plays for Evian with 3 others and Erikson plays for Ajax, Huntelaar plays for Schalke, etc.. They are not mentioning players who just play in EPL

24. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    ESPN, Inc. certainly has moved the bar WAY UP since 2008. The resources are certainly available, the audience skews young, and the premium advertising is selling.

Other than Michael Ballack, every one else on and off camera brought their A-Game to Bristol.

--

FOX has 3 years to get its act together for Women's World Cup 2015. The American viewing public now demand 1st class coverage.

(Don't expect Telemundo to do much production with the Women's World Cup because 1st generation Spanish-dominant Hispanics don't connect with that product.)

25. themaestro

themaestro Member

Nov 9, 2005