ESPN Deportes on DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by naggi, Jan 12, 2004.

1. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before. It looks like ESPN Deportes is finally coming online in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know (or has anyone asked) DirecTV if they are planning to carry it? If they are, do you have to subscribe to their spanish language package to get it, or can you just get it under the normal packages that allow you to get Univision.

2. stockmanjr

stockmanjr Member

Jun 22, 2003
    NYC
    According to Da_cfo no mso's or direct tv has signed an agreement to carry the network yet...Wonder if anything has changed...
    -howie

3. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    FSW does carry it (it used to be a channel that just showed ESPN's Sunday night football and baseball games). However, the onscreen menu doesn't show anything.

It's not gonna be on the basic package or the sports pack, as far as I can tell. And DirecTV doesn't make it easy to add Spanish programming. You'd be looking at having to get fewer English language channels. In exchange for that you'd get Telemundo, FSW Espanol, and ESPN Deportes. I don't think there's any other stations that show much in the way of sports on the Spanish language-channels (aside from Univison and Galavision, which you get anyway).

4. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    And one other thing to add--you can catch 30 minutes of SportsCenter en Espanol on ESPN2 most nights at 1 a.m. central time. Not bad if you stay up late or live on the west coast. I've only seen it once but it seems like a good mix of the major American sports with more Latin American-driven programming (soccer, boxing, etc.)

5. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Nothing will change unless ESPN Deportes gets rights to Mexican Futbol MATCHES in some shape or form.

No Mexican Futbol MATCHES, no carriage by MSOs, DirecTV Para Todos, or DISH Network. Period.

The only Mexican Futbol on ESPN Deportes now is a 30-minute talk show "Futbol Picante" on Monday nights. That isn't nearly enough when everyone else in the business (Galavision, FOX Sports en Espanol, Gol TV) all have their own Mexican Futbol talk shows.

6. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    I'm interested primarily in their Champions League coverage, but I guess that it's not enough for the MSOs, et al. I sometimes wonder if there is a conspiracy against soccer fans in the states...

7. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    ESPN Blown it big time

ESPN really blew it. They bullied the cable companies and satellite companies with their other fees for the other channels and the cable and satellite companies are getting them back by not picking this channel up.

ESPN was really stupid putting this channel in place with no commitments up front. They have a lot of arrogance and this channel could crash and burn pretty quickly and I don't think that will be good for soccer fans.

8. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    That was never the intention of ESPN Deportes. ESPN plans to have an outlet in the U.S.A. for all its Latin American programming, including MLB, NBA and NFL en espanol, as well as all the niche contents from South America (the program fillers). The only content that would be unique and attract the diehards were the Champions League and the originally planned la Liga. All other stuff are junk that doesn't need one single dime of ESPN production cost. The cost of the content (5 more CL games, all other junk on ESPN LA, etc.) would be minimal. So there is only the satellite transmission cost to worry about.

Now, if they carry Futbol Mexicano, which is not something they carry on ESPN Latin America, ESPN Sur, nor ESPN Mas, why would they want to put in substantial cost for rights and production into this venture simply to compete against Univision, Telemundo, FSW Espanol and TV Azteca USA? in a market full of Futbol Mexicano that people wouldn't differentiate one from the other?

They tried to launch a full-time channel with almost no cost, with content differentiation but appeals to no Americans, Hispanics or Caucasians. That was a mistake just to think about launching this channel.

9. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    So.....

is ESPN-DEPORTES operating or NOT?

according to their website, they have been since Jan 7th.

I have DIRECTV para Todos and I'm supposed to be getting on channel 426, but the last time I checked it wasn't on.

Not only that, I called my spanish speaking compadres at DirecTV today and they told me that they had it and they removed it (must have been on for about 2 minutes) and in addition they said, that even the regular two ESPN channels I used to get are not available anymore. Which I don't know if it's true. I'll have to check when I get home this evening.

Bottom Line:

I WANT MY ESPN DEPORTES

10. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I don't know what might be up with ESPN and ESPN 2 not being carried on DirecTV.

As for ESPN Deportes, yes it is running. No, DirecTV Para Todos has not reached a carriage agreement. Neither has any other major provider. According to Oliver, none likely will unless ESPN Deportes acquires live or delayed matches from La Liga Mexicana. Which means ESPN Deportes is probably in trouble as nearly all US TV rights deals have been sealed for the next cycle of two-three years (or however long the deals last).

11. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    So, who is carrying ESPN Deportes?

Is it being broadcast into the void?

12. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Only a handful of small cable systems with 500000 homes total have access to ESPN Deportes via a Spanish-language digital tier.

That means less than 50000 households currently get ESPN Deportes.

Less than 10% of all households subscribe to Spanish-language digital TV packages via cable or satellite across the US.

None of the ESPN Zone restaurants, which rely on DirecTV to provide video services, currently has access to ESPN Deportes.

13. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    The major cable and satellite TV systems are also NOT happy with Disney/ESPN for raising subscriber fees by 20% each year. ESPN now costs around $3 for each subscriber each month.

COX Communications, in particular, has taken its heated contract dispute with ESPN public.

Until ESPN and the big systems stop fighting, ESPN Deportes will NOT get carriage on the major systems. The major cable systems successfully killed off ESPN West (a proposed Los Angeles regional sports network) in 1999 60 days before its official launch, and they are not afraid to try to kill off ESPN Deportes to send Disney/ESPN a message.

14. csh2000

csh2000 New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Chicago
    Any word on what Roy Disney thinks of how Eisner and his boys have handled this?

15. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    I wrote DirecTV and got a nice reply from them, here:

I'll keep hoping!!

16. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    I wonder if Comcast's proposed bid for Disney might change the picture a bit...

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Undoubtedly.

18. mbrossetti

mbrossetti New Member

Mar 5, 2001
    NY, NY
    For Comcast subscribers it would - But that still leaves a large portion of cable/sat. customers looking for Comcast to reach an agreement.

19. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    I don't know, but I'd guess that the FTC would mandate that the ESPN/Disney channels be made available to every cable/satellite provider before approving the deal. I mean, Comcast, for example, wouldn't just be allowed to buy ESPN/Disney and thenn pull them from the lineups of competitors in Comcast served markets, would they?

Though I guess ESPN Deportes might be such a fringe product that it may only end up being picked up by Comcast anyway...

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why would Disney/ESPN or a potential Comcast-Disney want to restrict channels? That's nuts - and bad business. While some "exclusivity" like "24 hour local news/weather" channels helps, broadcast outlets want to use their leverage to make their competitors pick up additional channels.

Comcast would want to add ESPN Desportes to all of its systems in order to get as many customers hooked on it as possible so that they ask their non-Comcast friends why they don't have it.