ESPN Analytics: "Dempsey not as lethal as advertised"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LiverAndPineapple, Feb 26, 2012.

1. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    He did, but he got something like 90 minutes total of playing time under Chris Coleman before he was fired, so I didn't bother mentioning him. (Dempsey's strike rate was 0 under Coleman.)

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    37 36 goals through 27 games 2.84 jol

49 43 2.8 hughes

39 46 2.77 hodgson '09-'10

39 34 2.48 hodgson '08-'09

38 60 2.64 dempsey sanchez/hodgson dec 21-dec28 '07

Goals scored under Hodgson were steady. Goals given up varied wildly. Better offence and defense under Hughes.

Goal projection through 38 games of present season is 52, a slight improvement on Hughes.

Average goals per game in the Prem rising significantly from 2.48 in '08-'09. Given the particulars of Fulham though I'd say Deuce's numbers are mostly down to to Deuce.

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at Clint's club goals in all competitions for last 3 years, one see's a bit of a homebody in him. (GH = goals home, GA= goals away)

2011/2012 15 GH 3 GA
    2010/2009 9 GH 4 GA
    2009/2008 6 GH 3 GA

Clint appears to love his Craven Cottage.

4. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Compare that to Fulham home/away record. I think its more than Dempsey that loves Craven Cottage.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this is true. Particularly this year when they have erupted at home against squads for a bunch of goals. I think the Europa matches contributed a bunch to the wider Home- Away discrepancy this year (along with Wolves, Charlton, etc) To lazy to look at 2009/2008.

2011/12 for Fulham all competitions - 3.71 goals home for every away goal
    2011/12 Clint all club competitions - 5 goals home for every away goal

2010/11 for Fulham all competions - 2.42 goals home for every away goal
    2010/11 Clint all club comps - 2.25 goals home for every away goal

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm guessing Fulham realize Dempsey may have ambitions that could take him elsewhere and want to wrap up a contract asap. Will be interesting to see if he signs quickly or if he takes his time and looks around a bit.

Oh, and interesting discussion. It looks like he had a solid season last year and is having an excellent one this year. You look at his progression and his age and you've got to think he's got at least another 2-3 years of playing at or near this level left in him. That doesn't make him a slam dunk for a Champions League team, but for one looking for some extra offensive spark in the short term, they could do much worse. Besides, three more years of this level could see out a nice contract and if he's falling after that, they can let him drop back down.

I tend to think the price premium for young players is a bit out of line with the reality of players moving around more frequently. Why sign a 24 year old and expect he's going to be with you for 7 years when he's much more likely to move on after 3?

8. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    If he doesn't extend his contract now, they'll have this sell him this summer.

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily.

10. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    No, not necessarily, but you know how it works.

11. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you were familiar with the contract situation of Fulham's best attacking players, you'd realize that they might find themselves in a situation where they're willing to risk losing a player on a free in order to avoid completely gutting the team over the summer.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  12. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    They're willing to lose Clint Dempsey on a free?

PS No I'm not familiar w/ Fulham's contracts.

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If keeping him around for another year means he keeps them safe in the PL, I think that's a chance they might need to take. With respect to the contract situations of other players, Fulham could find themselves in a situation this summer where they won't have any senior team strikers under contract (well, unless you count Orlando Sa (I don't) and Bryan Ruiz (I'm not convinced he's a striker in the PL)). Most Fulham fans would also be a bit surprised to see Moussa Dembele in a Fulham shirt at the beginning of next season as he also has a year left on his deal and has made no secret of his desire to play for a bigger club (anyone who's watched him knows the big boys will be interested.. and he likely can command a fee in the neighborhood of what Clint could bring).

My point is simply that while clubs obviously as a general rule do not like to lose valuable player assets on free transfers, I could conceive of a not so unrealistic situation whereby Fulham might be willing to take that chance.

14. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Of course. I doubt Jol is thinking the same though. He likes to spend the dollar bill. And didn't he just mention pushing for 6th?

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a smart guy, he realizes he can't completely gut the team and rely on summer signings (who likely will be coming from leagues other than the PL). He sees what 10 million got him in Bryan Ruiz...

16. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I never understood why players want to be bought v. transferred.
    transferred means club gets the money, bought means the player gets the money...
    I would wait if I were dempsey.... and trust me I dream of being dempsey everyday with a BMI of 30 :)

17. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Orrrr... he could go on a free transfer, and get more salary money as a result else where.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Tottenham are close to a Champion's League berth. They don't have a squad deep enough for two competitions.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless a player submits a transfer request they get a percentage of the fee that is paid for them.

20. brenbo

brenbo New Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    another goal today,

These are the top goal scorers
    26 R.v. Persie
    22 W. Rooney
    17 S. Agüero
    16 C. Dempsey

The first 3 players there play for the top three placed clubs.
    Fulham are ninth and between 18 and 36 points behind them, that makes his goal scoring
    look very good indeed playing for a 'minor club'.
    Man City have problems with one of their strikers and may dump him this summer.
    I am surprised they are not interested given the other top 3 clubs supposedly are.
    Especially as they have very temperamental troublesome striker at Man City, compared to Balotelli and Carlos Tevez, Dempsey would be a dream to work with, unless he sufferers from some serious mental health problems, which I don't believe he does.
    He seems as sound a pound to me. He would do the managers mental health some good even if he never scores a goal compare to the others mentioned!!

21. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but would the great one sign Clintinho?

I would think that with Arsenal having to determine RVP and his future (lots of money coming in for signings if RVP left) and with Man City in turmoil it could be a very interesting spring and summer for Dempsey.

22. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    thing is though, clint isn't really a striker. i know he's played there and done alright, but its not where he's at his best.

23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, he did a really nice job yesterday, at playing back to goal, coming back to get the ball, holding and dishing in a lone forward setup.

His problem was getting decent service in the box 1 vs 3 on crosses and trying to turn vs 2 or 3 guys. A problem which anyone would have.........

24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only Dempsey were more lethal...

25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind seeing this analysis run again and see what the data show now.