ESPN Analytics: "Dempsey not as lethal as advertised"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LiverAndPineapple, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, that comment goes against everything I've seen of McBride's play. I never saw him shy away from contact. He was the quintessential target forward, who earned his salary in the air on long free kicks or goal kicks, challenged most times by the opposition's tallest defender or best leaper.

2. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so glad you added these biting sarcastic remarks to Bolivian's "mea culpa" - they really added to the discussion :rolleyes:

3 people repped this.
  3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally,I'd rather see people own and correct their errors than continue to be as wrong as an ice cream stand in Prudhoe Bay.

4. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL I hate that my words came off wrong as if I was saying Mcbride wasn't as tough as Dempsey.

That guy was about to go play a second half of a game before he realized his eye ball was about to fall out (because of some knock he took in a game, in the first half) after he sneezed before he walked on!!! :eek:

It doesn't get harder/tougher than that!

With that said though, back to Dempsey.

I really am happy that he is finally getting the attention he has deserved for a while. Since that goal vs. Juventus, it was obvious at how high of a level he can shine. Just many teams/ even USA fans and sports reporters doubted at how high of a level he can play at.

I still think the American player is vastly underrated.

6. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDfLgs9B4ic"]Clint Dempsey - All 2011/2012 Goals (so far) - YouTube[/ame]

7. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Only because Harry refuses to rotate. Tottenham are as deep as anyone in England not named Man City. I would actually add that both teams are too deep if possible. Having unhappy players on the bench who think they should be starting kills team unity. It's that spirit that makes ManU so hard to beat over a season. I think Newcastle have great squad unity, and are overachieving, as well as some others. Team mentality can't be bought and it can't be faked. I dont care what Mancini thinks. He's a foo of the first order.

You clearly don't understand the very serious nature of this internets business. Deadly.....fouking......serious. ;)

Agree that American players are generally underrated by almost everyone.

1 person likes this.
  8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    127. That's the number that is hanging over Clint's head. He's taken 127 shots this season. I believe that's tops in the league. However, I think his spg has fallen since Pogs arrived and yet his production hasn't tailed off. That's good news for Clint.

9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would put Dempsey not at the top, but not the worst out of the EPL's top strikers.
    There could be more recent data, but I wasn't able to easily find it. I assume it hasn't changed too much this year although names may have changed.

http://www.plainsoccer.com/2011/01/look-at-scoring-efficiency.html

Given the other things Dempsey does I'd be fine with the number of shots he takes. I'd be interested to see how it works for him if he moves to a bigger team where he's not as much the center of attention. Will he take fewer shots per minute played? Shots more likely to go in? Will he end up with more assists instead of more goals compared to what he does at Fulham? This is all assuming that he leaves of course.

10. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is "lethal-er" a word?

'Cause that's what Dempsey is...

11. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Best American field player of all time. Period.

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop that-you'll make Landycakes cry. :)

14. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i love dempsey, hell i have a dempsey jersey, but i don't think its that black and white.

15. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The sad thing is that it isn't.

In any other country, the player who has achieved the most in the game is considered the best player. Not us. We make up strange intangibles to curve the score.

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    We value international play highly.

There doesn't always have to be one best player. How I'd describe it is that Landon was born our best player and Clint has turned himself into the same.

17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'll echo what someone else in the thread said. Cherundolo has to be in the conversation. If you look at totality of club career (granted, Dempsey is in the middle-ish part of his), Cherundolo is in the conversation. And, his 1st half against England in WC10 has got to be one of the best halves of football anyone has played wearing the RW&B in the WC.

18. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Has Dempsey ever actually won anything? You don't get disqualified for staying in your country (see Pele). Donovan even has his EPL credibility taken care of.

Seems to me Clint is going to have to earn that title still, with indisputable success at a much bigger team.

1 person likes this.
  19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Dempsey would have got his hand on a coveted MLS cup if he had spent most of his career in MLS.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so we're clear you rate two loan spells at Everton totalling less than a year over six seasons at Fulham?

And the Don Garber trophy over Europa League play?

As the kids say,"Really?Really???"

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Has Dempsey won anything? He was:

in MLS:
    Rookie of Year
    Two time MLS Best XI
    Two times MLS Cup Finalist

Internationally:
    Bronze Ball winner at the Confederations Cup
    Confederatons Cup Finalist

in EPL:
    BBC London 2010 Sporting Moment of the Year
    Europa League Finalist

22. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Never put much stock in that qualifier since its a team sport. And unlike basketball where 1 player has more of a direct impact since its only 5 guys on the floor, and can "take over games" or carry his team, soccer isnt like that...

Its almost as silly as the worlds all-timetop player discussion where people use "how many world cups have they won" as a qualifier, which totally ignores you can be a world class player stuck on a crappy/average international team..

23. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I would have to agree.

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    IOW, no. And it's got to be pissing him off, with 4 finals. So the whole terrible team thing doesn't work either. As much as I like Dempsey, grit in itself doesn't put him above Donovan. And no, a couple loan spells don't equal 6 years, but it sure shows he could have spent 6 years at Fulham himself if he wanted to. Unless Clint achieves more, it's going to come down to international and club goals scored, and maybe assists.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    LOL. Ok, man.