ESPN Analytics: "Dempsey not as lethal as advertised"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LiverAndPineapple, Feb 26, 2012.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Thought the gist of the article was Dempsey takes more shots to score from a given area of the field than others. Not sure if his current form changes the much.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What Dempsey brings to the table w/re to a big team is someone who is not mentally batty; who can excel in multiple positions; is quality on set pieces and the run of player; can score from the air and the ground; is relentless; and is a smart passer in the attacking third.

ManCity desparately needs character players. Arsenal could use more quality in the attack especially by someone who can be plugged into a variety of positions.

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what the article said. He's scoring at quite a rapid rate and I don't know if he is still taking as many shots to do it. That's why I think it would be interesting to run the numbers again. You are correct that it might not change things much, but I also think that this article would fall on more deaf ears now too. I think everyone in England knows how dangerous he is even if it takes a few more shots than some others to do it. The importance of many of his goals in terms of tying or winning games is also pretty solid.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    More to the point the described methodology of determining shot difficulty leaves something to be desired given the vagaries of a given sequence leading to a shot and the array of defenders influencing what can be done.

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly there are tons of reasons why "data" analysis in soccer is tough, but I'd still like to see it in. If we're going to talk about him being "not lethal" earlier this year, I'd like him to also get credit for being "lethal" at least in the context of this data.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what their numbers would look like if they played for Fulham.

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I just love how Dempseys 'just try shit' attitude rules his playing style. He isn't scared of 'contact' when going in for headers like Mcbride was, but he also isn't affraid of doing tricks or just looking like a fool if he messes up.

I still love how he stood up to brasil when they were just toying with us in the first confederation cup game. (he got soooo much shit for the rabona he did in the clip before. Same goes with the little tricks he was trying to do against Brasil)

Yea, he 'failed' but it's that never affraid to stand up and go 'toe to toe' against the best is what brings his success out of him.

I always said it, and people called me out on it and said I was full of it.... but Clint has the potential to start on a AC Milan or an Arsenal. Donovan and Howard do too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYI6ocV9KJs"]Clint Dempsey fails TWICE in one game. First a rabona then a Cuauteminha - YouTube[/ame]

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'd be willing to hazard a guess that the numbers themselves could change significantly. I pointed out earlier in the thread that what was being measured (goals) is inherently an outlier event on most shots (shots from inside the box avg 14% likelihood of a goal, outside the box 3%, IIRC). Given that, the sample size (IIRC about 230) wasn't huge, and a few goals could swing it a good deal. Meanwhile, Dempsey has been white-hot (tied with Cisse for most league goals in calendar 2012), so the odds are pretty reasonable that data that could so easily be swung actually has been.

You won't see it printed though, because "meh, never mind about what I said before" doesn't make a good story.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are as likely to see it as you are to have Mel Kiper review the current status of his recommended draftees from 5 years ago.....

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Corona: "ESPN Analytics not as analytical as advertised."

3 people repped this.
  11. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    we have to look at how he's he's done in various positions historically, not just one hot stretch. no question though, his ability to perform well at various positions definitely is a big factor in increasing his value.

yes, he does a good job filling fulhams need for a striker on occasion, but does he perform at a high enough level as a striker to win that spot over other strikers on top teams?

12. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    And the funny thing about that Brazil Confeds clip is that his two "fails" really weren't.

In the first, he made some contact with the opponent but maintained possession. He then cut the ball back to gain separation, and was able to play a pass into the box.

In the second, the move didn't come off, but again he maintained possession with two defenders on him and the touchline behind him. He proceeded to nutmeg the defender and drew a foul in a dangerous spot.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't really care. This is the Nat's forum and the fact he can play well as lone forward may impact the Nats down the road. Which is why I pointed out he did very well there...

14. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well (or just simply well) is quite a stretch. I've seen him play there for Fulham on many occasions and he never looks comfortable there. He can do the job in a pinch, but it's not where he belongs for club or country.

15. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I have never thought of McBride as scared of contact. I would have said the opposite. Am I misreading you, or can you explain why you think that?

16. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is saying that McBride and Dempsey are both not afraid of contact on headers. The grammar was a little confusing, but obviously McHead was many things, but never afraid of contact.

17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    He must have meant that both Dempsey & BMcB are fearless. McB was a warrior.

Ya, if we were behind in a must win game, I could see a coach subbing in Freddie & Herc for a tired Jozy & someone else. And move Dempsey up w/ Herc.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You misread what I meant. (apologies)

I was just saying how fearless mcbride was at going for headers. Not scared of contact.... dempsey is the exact same.

That fearlessness also applies to him taking on people with his tricks, backheels, 1touches, rabonas, etc.

19. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Jurgen's challenge is to optimize the system on the field, not to optimize the output of a particular player.

So the question then becomes whether our current striker corps has Jurgen "in a pinch." I think it does.

20. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you blame him? That particular sentence was impossible to decipher.

21. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, things aren't that bad.

22. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not gonna lie, re'reading it makes it seem like Mcbride was scared.

Either way, I think I clarified what I meant through my follow up post. :p

23. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's something you seem to do a lot of...

1 person likes this.
  24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dude relax.

1 person likes this.
  25. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many times, team optimization is achieved by optimizing an individual player.

1 person likes this.