ESPN: 30 for 30

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Matrim55, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    They had some clips of him from ESPN, but apparently he declined to be interviewed for the documentary.

I enjoyed 9.79, although I wasn't really a fan of the people accusing (or insinuating an accusation) Carl Lewis of cheating without direct proof. Ben Johnson does seem to believe that he would have won without the steroids, which is pretty laughable.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight on ESPN 2 HD

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Jayhawk fan, I cant wait to see this.

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewis did test positive for stimulants, but the proof is in the pudding or visuals. Lewis never got muscular like Ben Johnson did.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Lewis used to accuse people without any direct proof. What goes around comes around and all of that. But the format of the documentary was going to give rise to all sorts of things like that - interview all eight people plus key coaches and others, and let them speak.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next new installment in the series (Benji) debuts on Tuesday, October 23rd at 8pm ET / 5pm PT on ESPN and ESPN-HD.

-G

7. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am not sure if it was a new installment or an old one, but I watched the Kansas University and some passionate fan trying to buy James Naismith original rules of basketball. I thought this was boring and it did not meet my expectations for a 30 for 30 film. I will admit that it was nail biting and intense when the actual auction occurred, and we find out who the other person was trying to buy it (do not want to give it away for [R] purpose).

8. PeanutFlush

PeanutFlush Member

Jul 8, 2009
    NoVa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that was the newest one, There's No Place Like Home. And I think you are far too kind to it.

This was the worse 30 for 30 I've seen yet. I haven't seen all of them, like the Marion Jones doc, so others might be worse. But about 10 minutes in I already disliked the filmmaker/protaganist, and it didn't get any better. There was no depth to this one, no other point of view, no reflection on why he was doing this. His only thoughts were "Kansas is awesome! Naismith was Kansas' first coach! Let's get this!"

I kept waiting for some reflection on whether this was a good idea, or why people want sports memorabilia, or whether someone should spend millions of dollars on a 100 year old piece of paper. Nothing. Just an hour plus infomercial for Kansas U.

Ismitje and Felixx219 repped this.
  9. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved every minute of it. In fact, I kept it to watch it again. But, I am a Kansas fan so this meant a lot to me. I remember it happening but knowing the details was amazing.

I thought it was better than the last one about Ben Johnson which I found boring.

10. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They covered it. They perfectly explained why it was a good idea and why it belonged at Kansas. They explained the history of Kansas basketball and Naismith's ties to it.

11. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I didn't miss much with last weeks episode. I thoroughly enjoyed the season premiere episode and *9.79.

12. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Ben Johson was not the best, but def kept my interest and my glued my emotions to what happened back in the era.

I have always respected Kansas Univ. history and their basketball program. But for some odd reason, perhaps because of the directing and the general layout of the script, I did not really connect with the history of the program and how having the original rule should be in KU, other than the fact that it is novel or cute. I dunno I did not really like the guy and was kinda hoping and cheering that the guy fail. I actually would have liked it if this whole 30 for 30 episode was purely on Naismith and Kansas, and not really focused on the quest to bring the original rule to KU. I did not care for that man's journey; but did care for the Naismith and Kansas.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next new installment in the series (Ghosts of Ole Miss) debuts on Tuesday, October 30th at 8pm ET / 5pm PT on ESPN and ESPN-HD.

-G

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I have high hopes for this one. HBO had a special that touched on this that was pretty good. I really, really hope that this doesn't disappoint.

15. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Not bad, although I could have done without the director inserting himself and his family into the story.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally caught up and finished watching Benji and Ghosts of Ole Miss (it's been a pretty busy last few weeks).

They were pretty good.

-G

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next new installment in the series (You Don't Know Bo) debuts on Saturday, December 8th at 9pm ET / 6pm PT on ESPN and ESPN-HD.

-G

18. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next new installment in the series (Survive and Advance) debuts on Sunday, March 17th at 9pm ET / 6pm PT on ESPN and ESPN-HD.

-G

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next new installment in the series (Elway to Marino) debuts on Tuesday, April 23rd at 8pm ET / 5pm PT on ESPN and ESPN-HD.

-G

22. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AS a Steelers fan I cringe ever time I hear Gabe Rivera.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Particularly about his accident. :eek:

-G

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to bump this, as an offshoot of 30 for 30 called "Nine for IX" launches next week. Details here. Looks promising to me!

soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau first aired last Tuesday and will likely re-air again soon.

Meanwhile, the next new installment in the series (Free Spirits) debuts on Tuesday, October 8th at 8pm ET / 5pm PT on ESPN and ESPN-HD.

-G