EPL to NBC: Good or bad for MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Oct 26, 2012.

1. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Thanks. My older Google searches just had them through 2012-13.

Having said that, GolTV is basically done as a business and will likely try to dispose whatever properties they current possess.

4. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one dollar + costs of transmission :p

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    derek750 repped this.
  6. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Not a paranoid conspiracy, simply a concern. And it is not just a question of squeezing games in but also a matter of expenditure. It is a matter of being a tier one provider. If NBCSN doesn't want to go the route of being the primary network that leaves only ESPN realistically in the mix with Fox a second choice. Frankly it behooves MLS to have all three in the equation for tier one rights.

Thanks for the hockey schedule though, since they don't play for three months every few years during CBA negotiations it can be hard to follow.

7. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    TSN announced they got the EPL rights for 2013 - 16 in Canada. SportsNet used to have those rights. TSN is also the national broadcaster of MLS.

EDIT = Looks like the rights have been split 50/50. Makes sense, in that SportsNet really needs content for their four sports channels.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hehe is that you? ;)

9. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, ditto this.

I'm wondering if GOLTV might be swept up by the new beIN network, Fox, or someone else ... seems the more likely scenario and would likely bring along with it the contracted programming. I'd love if it were Fox honestly.

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    A few thoughts, mostly agreeing with others' takes, but hey:

1) Yeah, it seems NBCSN + ESPN + FSC(/+) + beIn + GOLTV is about two players too many in this market (for English language anyway), given the properties that have any value (which are really only WC/Int'ls, EPL, UCL, MLS).
    2) This is kind of a good thing, though, as it's more bandwidth chasing content. MLS may not have the most premium of content, but it does have content that a core of fans want to watch (and one that seems to be growing over time), so it looks like there will be some competition to capture it.
    3) When MLS timed the NBC deal to end at the same time as the ESPN deal, the stated purpose was to have an exclusive provider be an option. And I think they're going to want to keep that option open, but it doesn't look to me like the market conditions favor that outcome--I'm thinking it will probably be more lucrative to MLS in the end to have a couple of outlets looking to keep a foot in the soccer picture each getting a piece of the contract. (And I might not have said that 18 months ago.)

I think, on balance at 10,000 foot level, this seems to wind up being a good thing. Generally, whatever increases exposure for the sport increases the 'size of the pie' so that even if the MLS market-share is static, (which if polling data is to be believed is basically what happens; MLS's popularity tends to grow along with international soccer) the bottom line grows.

I could draw up a bad-case scenario where NBCSN stays a pretty niche outlet, focuses more effort on EPL than MLS, and ESPN decides to cut its losses on the sport having been outbid for basically everything. It's far-fetched to think all that actually comes to pass, though.

11. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Bandwagon repped this.