EPL Referee Assignments & Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 20, 2012.

1. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to watch the whole thing, but just caught a snippet of Clatt's work in Liverpool-Fulham and it seemed really sound refereeing, and a joy to watch.

I was watching when he waved off Sterling's penalty appeal, not necessarily "simulation" as I think there was contact but it was a)effective, legal shielding and b)amazingly embellished by Sterling.

The "finger wag" by Clatts on that one was classic, and glad the TV cameras caught it.

That said, when are EPL refs going to start booking some of these i-d-10-t's for dissent? Second Tuesday of next week, I suppose. :thumbsdown:

2. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Good point, I think I read later that it was indeed an earring and you are right, you can't come in until the stoppage in play.

3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I guess no one has seen the work of Mr. Taylor's crew in the West Ham v. Everton match? Head scratcher.

4. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I HEARD a lot of negatives, but I haven't seen the most of it. I'll have seen MOTD by tomorrow so I'll see what's happened there..

5. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Having now seen the highlights I'm curious as to why the reds are "disliked". In my opinion they both easily meet "Endangering the safety of the opponent". I agree in this case a yellow may have been enough but I can't disagree with reds.

6. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Meh, they were both reds. I thought Taylor struggled with consistency, but his calls had no bearing on the outcome. Not a good day, but not a bad day. Just meh.

7. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Had no bearing on the outcome? Really? And in 2013, please make a pledge never to use the word "meh" in any discussion unless you actually "say" the word in real life.

There wasnt one player, coach, supporter or commentator who thought they were red cards. No one. Bet you they both get rescinded?

8. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Uhm, someone piss in your christmas punch?

9. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    No, but I think you might be seing red sooner than you think.

10. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or me.

Technically speaking, damn near everything players do 'endangers' the safety of an opponent.

If referee thinking and instruction is so adverse to what coaches and players universally want, then maybe referees should rethink their thinking and instruction.

11. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Interesting offside decision for the 2nd Newcastle goal. Mike Dean overruling his Assistant and allowing the goal to stand.

12. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    This is where I hate the offside law. I agree that Dean made the correct call, I just hate that it's the correct call. Cisse being where he was clearly influenced how Evans tried to play the ball, but since he didn't actually try to make a play on it, he's not considered to be involved. Don't like it one bit...that should be offside...but Dean is just calling it how FIFA wants it to be called.

13. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McManaman's description of this at halftime is nothing short of dim-witted. He's talking about Mike Dean's angle on play, nothing about Cisse being (or not) involved in the play.

WOW, that's Efan Ekoku-like right there. :oops:

14. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    ManU/Newcastle has its own thread now.

15. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    So today for the first time ever I saw a referee give an advantage signal in the penalty. He put his arms up AFTER the goal went in, not as Walcott was going up. I believe it was Chris Foy. Interesting.

Video here

16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Brilliant officiating. Waited to see how it played out and then signaled advantage to let everyone know he saw the foul on Wolcott. Here is the video of the goal (at approx 2.:55)

I thought the foul by Newcastle that led to this free kick (not on the video) easily could have been a red card as the defender goes in with both feet and makes a tackle from behind...the type of frustratration foul that breaks ankles as their defense was getting shredded with 7 goals.

17. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Apparently, Foy hasn't gone back pocket in over a year.

All credit to Walcott for not going down either. I think Foy's advantage signal was a nod to the teams that it was in fact a penalty.

18. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would anyone else have sent off Nasri in the Man City - Norwich City match?

Once I find video I'll post it.

EDIT: Yahtzee! Here it is...

Nasri sent off

19. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I probably wouldn't. I'm curious to see other opinions on this.

20. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I would've gone stronger than yellow, but the commentators (who, by the way, are on an amazing run lately) put it right - it's stupid to react that emotionally. Keep control and you stay on the field.

I feel like a broken record, but Nasri put himself in the position to be subject to the crew's judgment (I think the AR gave some input).

jarbitro and Nestapele repped this.
  21. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Another possibility is OFFINABUS - the referee could have heard something and decided it was in the best interest of the game to punish it.

And while I'm not saying it's normal to get ejected from the game for OFFINABUS at a pro level, but the combination of his conduct and language could lead to that.

22. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    No way in the world should Nasri have been sent off.

23. usaref

usaref Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking that the 4th (or AR. Whoever talked to him) told him that Nasri needed a red and that the referee had to go with it because he didn't see it.

Was there a yellow for the first foul?

24. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    This. Would everyone give it? I'm guessing not. But are we within our power to give it? Yes. It's a dumb risk for a player to take.

25. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    He got the red for the head butt? Really? But it looked like both were butting? No?

The tackle was awful, btw.