EPL Officially to NBC

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by southboound24, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just throwing it out there but maybe why there hasn't been a game of the week during the time change in the US not being the same as the time change in the UK is that they have to work within their PGA TV contract. Because of the time change games are starting an hour later that normally end at 2:30p end at 3:30p. PGA Golf coverage has traditionally starts at 3pm eastern on the OTA networks. Of course NBC owns the Golf Network and could extend early coverage if they wanted to.

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  2. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Really good answer. Looks like they have a game next week back at the regular 12:30e time after BST begins.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was earlier for the the ManU game. So now I just tried it again for the Palace-Chelsea game and it worked differently. I didn't get the blank screen at all. Then when I paused it and came back it didn't make me watch the commercial again. Hmm... wonder why it would behave so differently one time vs the other.

On a separate note, you know that thing that NBC does where they cut away immediately after the match to catch one or two other matches just wrapping up? Usually I find it a bit annoying but today it payed off! The WBA-Cardiff match had 2 lead-changing goals in the last 2-3 mins of added time. What a finish!!

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It was great to see some exciting late breaking bonus coverage immediately.

5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    99% of us (including myself) agree with you. However, you know there is someone somewhere complaining that their hermetically sealed viewing experience was ruined by it.

owian, JasonMa, Gonzo and 2 others repped this.
  6. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Albion-Cardiff was definitely the the most exciting game of the weekend and it even earned a full replay on NBCSN on Sunday night. Uncut re-airs of games not involving the top six clubs have been rare this season.

MetroChile repped this.
  7. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Count me as part of the 1%. But over the season I've figured out that you can cover up the bottom left part of the screen during the final 2 minutes, so you don't know which game will get bonus coverage, then switch off immediately after the final whistle.

And, of course, avoid looking at this thread in BigSoccer, where someone will be sure to mention what a great finish there was.

8. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    From the latest NBCSN press release:

· NBCSN delivered the Premier League's three most-watched months ever on U.S. sports cable, averaging a record 476,000 viewers in February, as well as 442,000 viewers in March, and 414,000 viewers in January.

Also,

· NBCSN posted its best full-season first quarter NHL viewership ever with an average of 375,000 viewers - up 18% from the first quarter in 2012. NBCSN is on pace for its best-ever viewership for a full NHL season, averaging 358,000 viewers.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratin...-13-721014/20140401nbc05/#YV4CW4Hu6EsqFfiB.99

9. nwufooty

nwufooty Member

May 18, 2004

Decent numbers. Now imagine if they got rid of White and Martino. Numbers would be even better.

10. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No. They really wouldn't.

KidFlash, Lithium858, JG and 4 others repped this.
  11. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Unfortunately you are right.

12. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  13. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one tunes in (or out) because of the studio talent. FSC could have blown up that clown show pregame they used to run when they had the EPL and replaced them with broadcasting Gods and it would not have impacted the game numbers one iota.

QPR Kevin H and sfdanryan repped this.
  14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    FYP

People certainly do plan their Sunday mornings around pre game shows.

Thx,

Jay!

15. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess, but I said the pregame talent has little impact on actual game viewership.

HomietheClown repped this.
  16. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Did anyone else hear a funny noise immediately after Sherwood and Poyet embraced before the match?

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Weekend Update: Remember to go long on your DVR recording times this weekend. All games kick off 7 minutes past the normal time in rememberance of Hillsborough.

Thx,

Jay!

18. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Just received the X1 box from comcast last week. Does anyone know how you get to live extra matches through on demand? I can't see it or I am blind.

19. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    I found it under the 'Premier League' tab, not the 'NBC Sports' one.

That said, Comcast is the most dysfunctional and de-centralized company on the planet, so it's very possible your market doesn't have it.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At about 26' of LFC-MCFC the app froze. Now it wont budge. Anybody else with same?

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Working for me on android...

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Try the Deportes Telemundo En Vivo app if you don't mind Spanish commentary.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2223 NorthBank, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    Switched to good ole reliable tv.

The app video went black while Audio stream continued. Then i pressed pause and 'done' which shouldve stopped that but yet the audio kept streaming.

Guess they wrote a Buggy ios app. Not the first probs i've had. Why streaming from the big boys is just not quite there yet IMHO.

Edit: TBF espn's watch app seems pretty solid IIRC

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Lol. Is anything a penalty in Tim Howard's eyes?

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Suarez goes down way too much.