EPL Officially to NBC

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by southboound24, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I really hope that NBC decides to put the logjam of 10am games on Saturday Mornings on MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo, G4 and Universal Sports instead of the internet only option behind a paywall. At least with Fox Soccer the games that didn't air live at 10am on Saturday Mornings were aired on delay later in the afternoon. It would really suck to be a fan of a mid to bottom of the table team and never get to see your team on TV because I doubt NBC is going to do a lot of replaying of games.

Does anyone ever think we'll see the day where NBC would offer an On Demand TV Channel that has that weeks Premier League Games available for stream say 24 hours after the game has aired on TV? I could see NBC not offering the games On Demand that air on the main NBC Network to protect their local affiliates. The Big 10 has an On Demand Channel that has older games from the past available for stream. What is stopping NBC from doing this w/the the Premier League? NBC could put an advertising bug in the corner of the screen or gasp even well timed short commercial during a lull in the action if they went with an On Demand option.

2. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Most of you guys are forgetting Telemundo and Mun2. I can see a couple matches on Telemundo per Saturday. Same for Mun2.

Schapes repped this.
  3. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    It could happen for Comcast subscribers.
    They did something like this for the World Cup. All the games were on demand.

4. UEFAJason

UEFAJason Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And do you think that particular audience would watch a Stoke vs Fulham match? Those two channels would likely get matches involving the big six with Spanish announcers.

jhernandez86 repped this.
  5. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Depends.
    Fulham has Colombian Hugo Rodallega and Costa Rican Bryan Ruiz so I don't think it is that far fetched.

6. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    The problem with showing games on NBC is that they have cartoons on Saturday morning ( I am assuming) and news shows on Sunday morning such as Meet the Press. I can see some affiliates not wanting the EPL in those time slots.

Sunday afternoons are open on NBC I guess on Sundays - right? And Saturday afternoons except from September till November for Notre Dame football.

The feature I will miss is the replaying of games through the week. I don't get to see the games I want necessarily either live or on the weekend. It's nice to have the replay option for later in the week.

The On Demand tv channel you speak about . Is it a regular channel? Is it on the Internet ( a step backwards)?
    My assumption is there would be a fee for that? A big step backwards.

7. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC is going to work something out to have most of the games on TV I'm sure. I would highly doubt that they would pay that much money for the rights to the league and then throw most of it online.

8. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    You guys are also forgetting regional CSN channels for saturday 10 am matches. My csn shows a lot of nbcsn mls games on delay, so they are definitely in play for saturday 10 am game. The way I see it is for sat 10 am there will be games on nbcsn, cnbc, and regional csn, which for me is enough.

9. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Notre Dame play home football games at 3:30pm ET (or later), so there is time for the Premier League if they deem the match to be worthy of network space.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additionally, NBC's contract only covers home games, their road games are on other networks.

11. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    The games won't be live right? It would bea replay of a match. I can't see them having an EPL game at 7:30 Am, 10:00 AM, 12:30 PM? 7:30 AM and 10:00 AM would be live. 12:30 would be delayed.

The affiliates aren't going to want that.

Some Fox affiliates balked at having one EPL game on a Sunday. Are affiliates going to want four games on a Saturday? So games at 7:30 AM, 10:00 AM, 12:30 PM, 2:30 PM all on NBC? Say if Notre Dame is on the road. Also during the winter/spring - doesn't NBC have college basketball?

12. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They can show the Saturday evening match (5:30 UK, 12:30 ET) live on NBC. Though as I wrote earlier, these are typically not the biggest top 6 v top 6 matches, which are normally played early on Sat/Sun for safety reasons or late Sunday afternoon for UK TV reasons. I doubt NBC would bother putting anything earlier on the main network.

13. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I guess I don't understand the strategy then for NBC. Sure they can put games on one of their other channels.

As far as NBC though - don't want to put the early Saturday game on (even though last Saturday was Aston Villa/Norwich City - not big clubs), doesn't want to put the 12:30 PM game on NBC (again, not usually big clubs). Don't want to put Sunday games on - because shows like Meet the Press would suffer.

Wouldn't probably show the Monday afternoon game - might show that more often than ESPN on NBCSN.

14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No. In fact NBC does not have any consistent sports content before 3pm ET on Saturdays or Sundays. A lot of affiliates show kids programming. The biggest obstacle to showing big Premier League matches would probably be Meet the Press which runs from 10:30-11:30am ET on Sundays. Can't see NBC or affiliates altering that at all.

15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's simple, the strategy is to build the NBC Sports Network brand in a key demographic with the world's most popular soccer league. Just look at how much their president uses the words "NBC Sports Network" when talking about this deal.

16. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the people talking about some games being pay per view... No one has said Pay Per View. The guy talking is in the TV industry and he knows the difference between Pay TV and Pay Per View. Pay TV is just "cable/satellite" and at most something like Fox Soccer Plus (but that would more be referred to as a premium channel). If he meant pay per view he would have probably said pay per view. And I'm sure NBC have done their research and seen that soccer on Pay Per View in this country doesn't work.

17. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Problem with the Saturday schedule and the kids programming is that local affiliates would be giving up local ad spots that won't be there with the EPL.

In terms of NBC Sports Network - I understand - they don't have much of anything.

18. Warbuxx

Warbuxx Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Even if the idea is to have no matches on tape delay, it is still unclear whether matches will be available as repeats. There's a difference. It would be great if mid to lower tier matches made available live on alternative platforms (pay TV, etc) are later repeated on NBCSN, even if it is a day or two afterwards.

I do wonder if it would not be in the interest of all parties to sub-license a portion of matches to ESPN just to get them on board and exploit the promotional power of Sportscenter and other other ESPN programs (SportsNation, Around the Horn, etc.)......give them a reason to grow the league in concert with NBC.

soccermilitant repped this.
  19. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/richard_deitsch/10/28/nbc-confirms-epl-deal/index.html#ixzz2At9L8Ghj
    So not PPV as in the old (rediculous) $24.99 per match model, but maybe more like Direct Kick, Sunday Ticket, etc.

20. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN hates Comcast/NBC

21. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
  22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    a) You have no idea how much it is going to cost
    b) NBC has not actually decided on how they're going to do this, I'm sure they'll welcome your input

23. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    You are right. But if it cost .01 - it is more than I am paying now.

They don't give a darn about what I think.

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm assuming you have to pay for some sort of digital sports tier or pack to get Fox Soccer Channel. And Fox Soccer Plus is $15 per month.

25. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    I have to admit that I found it convenient that Fox Soccer Channel showed most EPL matches.

I have DISH...I have America's Top 120 Plus. Regional fox sports network and FSC are in the package.

If I want to watch NBCSN, I have to upgrade to America's Top 250. America's Top 250 is the second most expensive package. ($69.99) America's Top 120 Plus is $49.99 per month...

I think many EPL matches will be on NBCSN...I am not interested in paying $20 more each month to watch NBCSN...

I looked at the DIRECT TV site...Lowest level of program package, that has NBCSN, is ChoiceXtra. That costs $68.99...