England's November 2013 friendly double header vs Chile & Germany thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Hodgson was always a stop-gap measure. He was never the man to take us forward. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which English coach could right now. Hoddle? But when was the last time he actually managed a team. Maybe Southgate should school Hodgson on how he sets the U21's up, because they look on another level in terms of shape and passing style.

2. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You may be right , but take England forward with who ?....Hodgson is certainly not a extremely talented coach but one thing is sure , he knows football , international football , you don't coach Inter or Switzerland (I remember them in the USA world up they were a great to watch) if you're not good . The only thing I blame Roy is to renounce at the 4-3-3 were it was clear (after the two games against Brazil) that this was the only tactical working formation with this group of players , but even in this case I understand why he did it , the reason was to not isolate Rooney and see what Sturridge could bring to the team . Unfortunately Daniel is not quite ready for this level , but Hodgson (and many of us) didn't knew or suspected it .
    England real problem still the quality of the players , they are only decent CB since Rio and JT retired , Jagielka is the best among them but he will be 32 next year . In central midfield the young ones still struggling , Henderson , Cleverley , Wilshere have not yet impose themselves with clubs or country, so Hodgson still has to rely on the old guard more than it should have been , and upfront Rooney aside no one has shown some international quality so far not even Sturridge (well Lambert has had some impact I have to said ) . Hodgson could only be satisfied with the wingers and left backs but is definitely not enough . Talking about wingers , is just me or Townsend facial expressions is quite opposed to his teammates , it seems like (from the facial expressions) Andros is enjoying is game , playing mind free , as we could clearly see with him asking for the ball and trying to make things happen , when his teammates , Rooney aside , seems scared of doing a mistake playing with an anxious facial expressions...which could explain why too many did some incredible basic technical/tactical errors against Chile and Germany.

ps: The U21 are simply better technically , is easier to adopt a passing football with them .

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Hodgson certainly showed who was boss by keeping an injured Sturridge on the pitch for the full 90, when other players were available for a try out in a friendly.
    That in my mind was just vindictive.

Looks like Studge isn't going to be fit for the Derby with Everton.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  6. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh yeah, the Germany game. We started very well but as time went on I had that feeling, if we didn't score they would pop one in against the run of play. And then it would be up hill all the way. Not being able to fashion many chances at all, or even get a few decent shots in was very frustrating. The spasticated one footers were more evident than usual.

I thought we were beaten more by German efficiency than anything. They put in a good cross and the big lad nodded it in good style. We couldn't do the same. That used to be our big strength. The Germans were very good at always having two or three players quickly around the man with the ball, stifling him. (This was in stark contrast to the following Premiership Liverpool derby game on the Saturday.)

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Other than the fact that his outmoded tactics were simply second best. He took away any chance of a win or draw though being Vindictive!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ing-him-unfit-admits-roy-hodgson-8978787.html