England vs. Holland, Friendly: Wednesday 29/02/12, 20:00 Wembley, London [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Feb 22, 2012.

1. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am concerned that we are going to be the laughing stock of the Euro's. We lack any depth and the current crop of youngsters are poor.

Not looking forward to the tournament

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, very decent player.

Not having much luck with people being crocked atm. Still, I suppose it means they'll all be back and fresh in the couple of months before the euros.

Yes... I am joking :(

3. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wilshere, Sturridge, Welbeck are not good enough for you? Or Walker, Jones or Smalling? They are still young and have had barely a season of play..I really don't understand this at all.. compared to recent years this is much better.. in the past years we have never really had a good crop come through.. we've had the likes of Milner, Agbonlahor, Shawcross, Walcott etc.. all players who will never become very good.

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    If you had a quid for every time Parker passed the ball forward in the first half.....you'd have about 3 quid....

1 person likes this.
  5. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Compare our youth to the young players coming up in the French, Portuguese,German,Spanish ranks.

I do not believe the current crop are that great- Which of the above listed player do you believe are going to be fantastic?

6. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that Wilshere will definitely be fantastic.

Sturridge and Welbeck have the potential to be fantastic..
    Oxlade-Chamberlain also has the potential to be fantastic, as does Cleverley and Jones - Jones is only 19 or something

Added to that potentially Mceachran, Morrison, and quite a few good right backs coming up in Walker, and Richards who has found form again

1 person likes this.
  7. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The fact that Parker has been awarded England player of the year, shows just how bad things have gotten

8. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think Wilshere will be able to stay fit to prove you correct. I suspect he is going to be one of those players whom is constantly on the mend.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has had how many games this season? Yes, he has had some solid performance in the few games he has played but so did Theo and look at him.

IMO England are just not capable of producing the kind of players that other large nations can.

I hope I am wrong but the signs seem to be there

9. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Portugal are nothing at youth levels. We have consistently wrecked them at under 21 and below. Unless you want to list all their star youth players .

10. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Brooking made the point in the 21 game that we do well at 16-19 levels...but lose the plot at 21 and Senior levels...although his exact words weren't that.

all comes down to 37% of players in PL being English.

SHIT

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is why Carrick should be playing. He can screen the back four and has the range of passing off either foot to spring fast transitions

12. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm still baffled to why he isn't getting into the squad when:

a: England are struggling for good midfielders
    b: We have a few injuries in that area
    c: Players should be picked on form and not limited performances 4 years ago

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....apparently not as poor as the current group of young Dutch players...my understanding is that the Netherlands coaching staff is a bit concerned about a real lack of quality coming through..

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and when you saw him try in the second half you found out why :D

Yeah, he's maybe a decent screen for the back four, (although I'm still worried about his decision making against certain opposition with regards to tackles like I say), but he can't play there on his own. He needs someone alongside him to create something.

Actually, I just watched the 2nd half again earlier this evening and watching Milner trying to be that player just illustrates why Pearce shouldn't manage the English senior side.
    Our U21 record is pretty good over the past decade or so. The idea that we're some third rate outfit that shouldn't even bother turning up coz we'll be embarrassed doesn't really stand up to examination.

We're not top rung but, let's be honest, neither were the Greeks in 2004 or the Italians in 2006. the idea that the best sides always win the tournaments is nonsense. Our problem is that we just can't seem to translate some decent players into a halfway respectable performance in the tournaments for various reasons.

As I've pointed out on here many times before, 10 English players contested the CL final in 2008 and yet we didn't even qualify for Euro 2008. :confused:

I'm not saying we should have won it but we can't even QUALIFY???
    That's only by the public though, isn't it? Doesn't really mean anything.
    Carrick's a good player. Might be a bit one-paced to play alongside someone like Parker though.

1 person likes this.
  15. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam

Where have you read that? When people like van Wolfswinkel can't get a call up then I'm inclined to think quite the opposite and there were 3 debutants in the Dutch squad with 18 year old Maher being the youngest one.

16. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Against Spain and Sweden I could see Capello was finding a new shape and defensive solidity. Our defence was tighter than a nuns ass on christmas eve. But against the Dutch our backline didnt have the same organisation. In that 2nd half our defence had more holes than a bull dyke orgy. We cant give away goals like that .

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    The match commentators spoke about it...

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing is the last WC final was won by a side with a lot of attacking flair and even THEY only managed 1 goal, (and that after almost two hours of football), against the Dutch. Yet, apparently, we think we should be able to run riot against good sides and score a shed-load?

I'm not suggesting we go for a flat back ten but there's a reason why outfits like the Italians have done well at tournament football. There's also a reason why, historically, sides like Liverpool and Clough's Forest side were successful in the CL/EC back in the back the day... because THAT'S how you win tournaments.

I think I'm right in saying that Liverpool held the record, (in the late 70's IIRC), for fewest goals conceded in the league when it was 42 games... something like 16 I believe. Forest held the record for going an entire season without a loss shortly after and BOTH sides won the CL more than once.

I just think we need to learn to play the percentages a bit more.

1 person likes this.
  19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    IIRC Spain won their final 4 games of the world cup by the same 1-0 score.....also seem to recall Greece winning their last four games of Euro 2004 by 1-0.....

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Better than a one dimensional player like Barry.

Off topic - but this is a frequent pub discussion of English Rugby back home.

What is the fascination with so called 1-D players?

You have a guy who has been a solid starter for Man Utd for years, has played in multiple CL finals - yet England prefer a leaden, one footed guy with no passing ability and low defensive value :confused:

If you want to spring transitions to Rooney, Gerard, Welbeck and co, then it makes sense to include a two footed passer with accurate long range ability.

Otherwise you have to play through midfield which is exactly what you don't want.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I always rated the management of Australian cricket during the glory years

Their view was simple. If you were not doing the business in domestic cricket for multiple seasons, then you were not going to be able to take apart an international attack when the pressure was on.

On that score, I always thought Sven was much more of a realist. Don't concede, and have an effective method of scoring - i.e. on the break to Rooney or a cross from Beckham.

That was about it. But that was a realistic view.

The likes of Gerrard are never going to dominate in central midfield because he can't even do it in the premiership

22. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Every single one of them unproven over a long run and not one of them fit to lace the boots of a Beckham, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney,

Welbeck? lmfao

23. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And what did those players achieve for us? quarter finals and embarrasments at tournaments.

I think you have probably not seen Welbeck play then.. he is a far better player than any of the other strikers we have bar Rooney

24. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Welb is a damn good player. Not sure why his name was mocked .

25. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He is not a media favorite yet.

@ jetty, Sven had one of the best defenses in international football in the last couple of decades. Not going past the QF in 2002 or 2004 when the tournaments were won by mediocre teams was poor management.