England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Cauley Woodrow gets a start for Fulham.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    McEachran gets a start against Man City. Big test.

3. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I am not optimistic, he'll get bypassed too easily.

4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he just signalled that he's injured.

5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    "If I'm enjoying it with Ireland and I won't be pressured into playing for England," Grealish waas quoted as saying by the Irish Independent.

"The English FA met dad and I before this campaign started and told me where I'd be playing for them [U-19 team]. We had already spoken to Noel [King] by that stage and thought, as I'd be with the U-21s, Ireland was the best place for me.

"It's hard to say what's going to happen because I'm only 18, aren't I? For the next couple of years, I want to play for Ireland.

"That's not saying I'm going to go back to England, just that you never know what's going to happen."

Nevertheless, Grealish praised Ireland U-21 boss Noel King and said that the former Derry City manager has been fully supportive of him.

"Noel has looked after me really well, so I've a lot to thank him for," said Grealish. "He has always insisted I should get a chance with the full squad once I keep performing for the U-21s."

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942...er-know-whats-going-to-happen-grealish-coy-on

Hard to imagine a player making comments like that if they weren't open to playing for England.

6. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I always thought he was supposed to be very highly rated but I've seen him play a few times for Notts County and he looked quite poor, although a few of his goals have been quite good.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seems about right. Sterling must go because of our lack of winger depth and if Shaw was a RB then I think he would be in the WC squad. Unfortunately for him he is a an LB and we have 2 outstanding LB's in Cole and Baines.

8. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sterling would be going anyway. He's been brilliant for Liverpool, and was man-of-the-match on Wednesday.

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    England learn Toulon Tournament schedule
    • [​IMG]
      Southgate will take charge of the U20s for the Toulon Tournament
    Listen
    England have learnt their schedule for this summer’s Toulon Tournament in May.

Gareth Southgate will be taking an U20 squad to the south of France for the annual competition, which starts on 22 May and ends on 1 June.

And after finding out that they will be facing Brazil, Colombia, Qatar and Republic Of Korea in Group B last month, England now know when and where they will be playing.

Toulon Tournament
    U20 International Tournament
    22 May - 1 June 2014
    Group A: Chile, China, France, Mexico, Portugal
    Group B: Brazil, Colombia, England, Qatar, Republic Of Korea

Their first opponents will be Qatar at the Stade Lagrange in Toulon on Thursday 22 May, before taking on Colombia at the Stade Perruc in Hyeres two days later.

Teams are then given a three day break from matches, with Korea next up on Wednesday 28 May in the Stade De Lattre in Aubagne.

England’s group games are rounded off on Friday 30 May when it’s back to Toulon to play Brazil.

From there, the top two nations from both Groups A and B will contest the Final and third-fourth play-off matches on Sunday 1 June.

Group A consists of France, Portugal, Chile, Mexico and China.

Southgate will name a larger initial Under-21 squad for the meet-up, which will start with the Three Lions' Euro qualifier with Wales on Monday 19 May.

After that game, those squad members who are too old to participate in Toulon will disperse before a 20-man group head out to France.

[​IMG]
    Southgate will select a larger squad for the meet-up

"It is absolutely what we hoped for - to play different teams with different styles," said Southgate.

"In terms of what I feel these players need as a challenge then it is great - South American teams, Asian teams and different styles.

"We can't get that in the normal qualification progammes in this age group and, of course, we miss out on the Olympics as well, as others get that experience at U23 level.

"Once the U20 World Cup is done, unless we play frendlies, we don't get that opportunity to play the same breadth of countries.

[​IMG]
    Mexico won the Toulon Tournament in 2012

"I think we have to have that. The clubs want their players to have different experiences and challenges to develop them.

"The slight unknown is how strong or how many of this group will go [to Toulon] because of the Championship play-offs - that could affect things quite dramatically."

* Please note the Toulon Tournament fixture schedule is subject to change.

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/d...-fixtures-revealed-120314#CBt5Amh91ZQZOMV7.99

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The Championship play-offs could be a real problem.

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah, the final is the big issue. Probably end up being Derby v QPR or Wigan knowing our luck and we lose 5 options.

12. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Harry Kane starts for Spurs in the Europa League.

The Guardian repped this.
  14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Come on Harry! Kick it hard and keep it down.

He really needs to start banging em in.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I just saw that. Hope the lad does the biz for them tonight.

16. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Morrison just scored again.

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    And again.

18. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Harry Kane did ok against Benfica, but it was just wrong to pair him with Adebayor and have no runners around them. Two big lumps up top and no other path to them than punting it long. Should at least have been paired with Soldado to have a chance. Good experience for Kane though, he could really benefit from a full season out on loan next season. Time to take the step up and become a senior player.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

They still have that clod hopper Barton so it evens out.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Even by Spurs standards it was friggin' hard to get a sniff for anyone. No such problem for Liverpool - with all that space they get.

But presumably not today.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Looks like Cauley Woodrow might be playing quite a bit until the end of the season -

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-plans-stick-youngsters

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    A couple of uncapped U21 players with the Toulon tournament in mind. Jordan Obita is now playing as a left back and has been winning MOTM awards for Reading. He's even been linked with Liverpool in the press. Luke Shaw might not be available so Obita could provide competition for Robinson in the squad.

Another potential option is Duncan Watmore who scored his first goal for Hibernian on loan after returning from injury -

The Guardian repped this.
  24. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    With many injuries to senior players,
    Spurs include several youth players in their Benfica match squad for tomorrow.

U21: Zeki Fryers (1992), Harry Kane (1993)
    U19: Dominic Ball (1995)
    U18: Connor Ogilvie (1996), Harry Winks (1996)
    U17: Joshua Onomah (1997)
    Ex U15/16: Luke McGee (1995)

Also Alexander McQueen (1995) (rb/cb) who's been overlooked by England so far
    Scotlands Jordan Archer (1993), algerian Nabil Bentaleb (1994) and serbian Milos Veljkovic (1995) also travel.

Guess it's a good idea to check the odds on Benfica victory

25. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kane is on for Spurs and set up Chadli with a knock down to put Spurs in front at Benfica.