England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Let's hope we can do the biz - I'll be checking here in the hope of updates.

2. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    No Will Keane :confused:

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No Harry Kane either. It's worryingly quiet on here. Gone HT now.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    England losing 1-0 HT.

5. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Off, Patrick Bamford. On, William Keane.
    Off, Ross Barkley. On, Jack Dunn.

This is a worrying situation atm. Blake must have a lot of faith in Dunn to bring him on Barkley.

6. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Off, George Thorne. On, Harry Kane.

7. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Afobe scores!

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    YEESSSSSS!

9. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
  10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wonder what the score was in the other game? Just thinking of the goal difference situation - and likely goal tallies after the next games.

11. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Switzerland beat Slovenia 3-0 today. We sit top still atm. It's going to be a nervous finish though.

12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    https://twitter.com/#!/paulharper82
    This guy watched the game, very critical of the style of play.
    In fairness that was the backups in attack today, will be the likes of Will Keane and Harry Kane from the start against the Swiss.

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Because the team lacks a deep playmaker type and the play becomes a bit too predictable when the team is set up to play so narrow. We severely lack width when I watch this team and this squad selected has no geniune attacking width. This is even worse now because Blake is playing a back four with three centre backs when we don't even have width further up the pitch.

Still can't believe we have a squad and Blake is only using Todd Kane for width when he had Redmond on standby.

Sounds like we were very lucky tonight and should have been knocked out.

14. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    agree Barry. even the players seem to be admitting as much.

Patrick Bamford@Patrick_Bamford
    Worst game I've played all season! #onetoforget

Benik Afobe@Afobe
    One of the hardest games I've played for England. We wasn't at our best tonight but going to give credit to Montenegro. Draw was fair... 1/2
    We have to forget about this now and prepare for our final match v Switzerland on Wednesday, which is a must win game! #EnglandU19s 2/2

what was interesting was the formation shuffle at half time, as well as the removal of Bamford for Keane. said it elsewhere, but don't get why you have a player on standby yet choose to then play him in 2 full matches when he wasn't 1st choice before (Thorpe).

15. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Anyone got links to videos of Nick Powell the 18 year old Crewe striker? On Youtube there is a clip of his right foot strike against Gillingham, and also of his fantastic strike with his left in the Play Off Final against Cheltenham over the weekend. The first touch for the Cheltenham goal suggests there is more to his game than simply long shots, and his languid stride in possession for the goal against the Gills suggests a certain swagger in his dribbling.

Anyone know of where I can find more footage of this guy?

16. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

What you have seen on Youtube is about all there is at the moment, but i have seen him in an England U16's shirt and at the FIFA U17's World Cup last year and you could tell he is very talented and by all accounts he has improved even more as a player since then, and if the rumors are true that United have signed him then they have a potential gem on there hands IMO.

17. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure about Powell, he's a talent and seems to have improved a lot this year but I didn't think much of him when playing for England. More of a poor man's Lampard than a genuine worldy to me.

I'm not convinced moving to a club which would park him in the reserves is a good step for him, looks like it's playing regular competitive football which has really pushed him on.

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I've watched Powell since he was a schoolboy on many ocassions but I wondered if the reported interest in him might have cooled until yesterday - he impressed and that goal was of course a cracker.

19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It does look like we'll be going out. A bit of a pisser particularly after the u17s going the same way. Montenegro would seem to be a very good side.

20. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Strangely over time I have noticed I agree with a lot of the points you make and actually find you quite insightful - unfortunately in this case this leaves me somewhat disappointed.

21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    How very mysterious of you. Why not spit out what you mean?

22. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    • "poor mans Lampard"
    • "we're going out"
    what was Frank Lampard like after he just turned 18? we have yet to even play the Swiss!

this place is turning incredibly negative - really off putting.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Powell displays more of a languid style at times and is allowed more freedom at Crewe than he has ever got for England youth teams who played him in central roles with less flexibilty and little interchanging of roles. Reminds me a bit of Clint Dempsey at Fulham.

We are still in a good position in this group but will need a big performance tomorrow. From reports I've read we were excellent in the second half of the first game but rank awful in the second.

24. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I said it "looks like" - I wasn't being incredibly negative. Just being objective - it seems to me as if the odds are against us if it comes down to goals.