England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He was quite underwhelming in games at U17 level but would show signs at times. I always thought he was played in random positions at that level though. The game against Germany that we lost was ridiculous.

I don't really think the right position has ever really been defined for him either. So he's always a bit of a spare part trying to play a free role regardless at times.

2. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Good to see Flanagan getting his debut for Liverpool today. Hasn't been capped at U19 level, but is impressing tonight. Robinson and Shelvey are also on the bench tonight.

3. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Bostock was a hype job. His touch ain't that good for a start.

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hyped up by Simon Jordan who was out for a big fee for an out-of-contract schoolkid.

He has good technique, but he's not agile enough and doesn't work hard enough either.

5. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Excellent debut by Flanagan. Looked confident, good technique and ability to spread the play. Not seen him play before, it looks like LFC have 3 decent English RB's now.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah, nice to see Shelvey on the bench. Didn't see much of the game at all but nice to see Flanagan get a game.

It wasn't solely Simon Jordan that hyped him up though and giving him his senior debut that early created so many headlines.

Even when Redknapp has been frustrated by him he mentions his ability but it sounds like he has given up on him after the Hull loan.

Who is he even training with now? The U18's?

7. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Yeah, top notch debut. I've heard a lot of good talk about him, but I never thought he would put in a debut like he did today. He was barking out orders to some of the senior players during the match which is always good to see from a young player.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Two changes to our U18 squad that play in Italy today. Bidwell from Everton comes in and Hopper from Leicester City.

The replacements haven't been confirmed yet but with Robinson being on the bench for Liverpool last night he is obviously one of them.

Who Hopper has replaced is harder to tell. Especially because Blake makes random replacements at times.

Hopper was the lad who was taken from non-League Boston United for nothing and created alot of complaint regarding that at the time.

Here is more on that issue -

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk...ent-youth/article-2596239-detail/article.html

9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Jordan Obita is the other player missing from the original squad.

Game is about to kick-off in 30 min or so.

Line-up
    Alnwick, Pilatos, Laing, Lascelles, Gibson, Thomas, Coady, Thorne, Moncur, Hall, Berahino.

Bench
    Long, Bidwell, Nelson, Hopper, Fowler, Bamford.

10. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Great, so there is no Aneke...

11. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    So that makes it 3 players missing. Can't believe I missed Aneke. It was also obvious because only 17 names were announced.

12. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    You would have thought if he wasn't going to take Aneke he would take Josh Rees instead.

13. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    England youth managers don't like taking players who have just come back from injury...even if they have played for 2 to 3 weeks already in their come-back. Because didn't Aneke come off the bench last week in his come-back match from injury for Arsenal ressies?

You would have thought they would have announced a 3rd replacement for him then. Rees has been putting in some solid performances and would have come into contention.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think he picked Aneke when he was injured or he got injured just after. So it was always going to be in hope that he came back fit. He seems to have returned to fitness but maybe Arsenal pulled him out. Who knows for sure.

Blake hasn't replaced either Aneke or Obita really. There is little width in that squad now but we only really had Obita for any type of width anyway.

What I can't understand is that Blake took Thorne all the way to Holland and he only played a few minutes at the end. Now he's starting today in Italy. So why did he not just give the U19 place to someone else :confused:

At least Lascelles got a half in Holland when he went.

15. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Barry pretty much answered that whilst I was writing mine :)
    Nah, the FA website is unreliable a lot of the time.

16. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    This squad is the embodiment of no width. The only Blake could create width is to get the full backs to make up for the vacant space. Although, i'd prefer to have Bidwell instead of Gibson personally.

It could look like this maybe?

..................Alnwick
    Pilatos.....Laing.....Lascelles.....Gibson
    .........Thomas..Thorne..Coady
    .....................Hall
    .....................Berahino

The midfield three could look like anything, since they are all central midfielders, who aren't really offensive. Hall isn't really an out and out striker for West Ham, he is a no.10 for them and likes causing problems around that area, but can play a striker if needed. I've also seen him wear a no.7 shirt in a few games for them. Berahino isn't really a player that i'd have as an out and out striker like an Afobe or Wickham at this level, but he and Hall could be switching around at times because they are capable of that.

That's my shot in the dark at what the formation could be anyway.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We have just scored to make it 0-1. Right on half-time.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    You've forgot about Moncur ;) He's playing one of the midfielders in an attacking role. I would assume it would be Moncur but it's hard to know for certain.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Berahino with the goal btw.

He's always been one to get a few goals even though his chances have been limited most times.

20. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Bah, I'm multi-tasking at work atm, bit of a quick post. I'd rearrange it like this then:

..................Alnwick
    Pilatos.....Laing.....Lascelles.....Gibson
    .........Thomas..Thorne..Coady
    .....................Moncur
    ..............Hall............Berahino

It could also be a 4-1-3-1-1, who knows. Hopefully Blake will shed some light on this formation after the game.

21. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Thanks for the update on the goal scorer.

Yeah. I'll never forget that classy goal he got in the U17 finals, pure class.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Just found an Italian site that is claiming we are officially playing 4-2-3-1 with Coady and Thorne holding.

http://www.mediagol.it/articolo.asp?idNotizia=195706

I always thought Blake said he was only ever going to play 4-3-3 as U19 coach though. He seemed to do so for a while.

23. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  25. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Louis Laing has played the whole u18 season for Sunderland in the holding-role.

We know he is comfortable on the ball and so on but I think they're seriously considering thats his future role. Obviously playing CB today which is his original role but it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

I believe Wisdom, Thorpe, Lascelles and Laing are all top players and Blake is spoilt with this age group in many positions let alone CB.