England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hi guys , i am just back from the leyton stadium, here are my impression:
    It was a sort of special "harry kane's day"..from the match program to the young audience all the screams and encouragement were for the local lad...and he repaid positively by playing an intelligent and effictive game even if one time again he clearly has been put out of position....MOTM in my opinion.
    Overall it was a good game , England deserved to win but once again the youngs three lions struggled in ball possession, ball retention and passes accuracy .
    In my opinion the problem are not the players, but the way they are put on the pitch.......yennaris is a DM but he played as a box to box, coady is a box to box (defensively minded) and he played as a HM , barkley is a technically gifted offensively minded box to box but he hasn't got the vision neither the passes accuracy to be considered a playmaker......no one of the three had tried to collect the ball form the defenders, letting them no other chance than to hoof the ball a little bit too often....wisdom.....anyway the czechs, despite having some interesting players who emerged in the second half ,didn't really tested england so overall the result is fair.
    Apart from H.Kane i have been impressed by todd kane , bamford, garbutt (going forward not in defense....) chalobah, lascelles.

ps: the team is pretty good but he really needs a new Mceachran, someone who can link the defensive and offensive part of the game and who also could provide a good variety of game options......morrison anyone?

2. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
  3. b-El

b-El Member

May 6, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, agree a lot on what you’re saying here, especially the midfield. They had their subtle differences in style and ability but they were all basically box to box players. Yennaris is talented and well taught and I think he could have probably adapted to the deeper position better than Coady.

Blake, and the rest of the coaching teams at all levels, really need to work on midfield movement, on and off the ball. The CBs split well all game but very rarely did the deeper midfielder drop into that space to get the roll out from the goalie. It was just a series of square balls between the defenders with the occasional pass into midfield that came straight back.

We should be exploiting Chalobah’s ability to carry the ball out a lot better too. The Czechs gave him, and Wisdom, time on the ball in the 1st half but the midfield wasn’t intelligent enough to be in a position to give him the option of coming out, by being in a position to cover. No point in having a ball player like him in the back if we’re not using his full skill set IMO.

Bamford’s an absolute goal machine. Didn’t know much about him before he went to CFC but he’s looked really good in the games I’ve seen.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    From the quotes Brooking offered last night it again brings up issues about planning and how 'hands off' he actually is.

In commentary he was bringing up that review and how we need ten technically gifted outfield players but there is no coherence to alot of it and I think it's just riddled with excuses or lack of responsibility for the roles in the FA.

The last U21 debacle was completely written off by Brooking because the players weren't brought through properly by the academies in his words. Then why are FA staff pushing for wins in tournaments playing styles that don't even suit this technical outfield players review thing? They don't even suit international football at the highest level full stop. They even pushed this 'winning tournaments' stuff whilst arguing for Carroll and Wilshere to go to the U21 tournament even ignoring the way the coach has the team playing.

If in Brooking's view we do end up with 10 exceptional technical players in a squad are we only then going to begin to work on this style and play players in positions that help them and the teams development.

Is Brooking honestly expecting Pearce to turn into a development coach and play the right way regardless of results?

The philosophy and style should have been put down and implemented ages ago. This skewed logic that we have to wait until enough players are good enough and ready until we can change the style makes no sense. That is if that is what Brooking is saying because it's hard to decipher, most likely intentionally.

5. b-El

b-El Member

May 6, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Found him really annoying to listen to last night. Consistently brings up the review document and the 3 3rds (or whatever it was) study. They did this bloody report ages ago now, didn’t they? Maybe they should do a report on coaching at the FA now because clearly nothing has changed much, other than Brooking and the FA knowing what needs to happen.

I just think we’re at the stage now where, thanks to largely foreign introduced innovations, English academies are getting better at producing technical players. Not necessarily at the level of Spain and others but enough to make it an encouraging start. Now we just need the same coaching structure/philosophy they enjoy at club level to be re-produced at International level.

It should be a seamless transition at the age groups and that’s just now what we’re getting now. Swain, Peacock, Blake, Pearce, they all have seemingly different methods of doing things.

I just can’t understand why we don’t adopt an academy like structure. Employ an academy manager with overall vision, who sets out the style, and recruits the coaches to implement his vision.

This idea that we NEED 10 technical outfield players to play a certain way is so laughable but that’s what I get from Brooking’s waffling too. He’s consistently name dropping a the best players, from different age groups, as being able to play the way he imagines we should. I get the sense that he’s hoping they’ll all get the seniors together one day and will magically form an XI that will allow us to play great football.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Raheem Sterling has pulled out of the U18 game and is replaced by Ben Osborn from Forest. Their site lists him as a left back. Garibaldi what's he like?

7. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Part of Lascelles' and Bamford's age group, but August '94 born so nearly qualifies as a first year. Like Lascelles he is from Derby (both Spondon actually) and been with the club from the age of 8 like those 2.

Hardly missed a game since the beginning of last season but through the age groups he was a left-back who could play left-wing and thats where he played mainly as a 1st year last season (left-back). The feeling was that if he was to make it at senior level he would have to play further up as he would be too small to play left-back (both muscularly and height wise.)

So this season he has done fairly well on the left hand side of midfield for u18s. What you will get with Benny is a very good first touch (good technical ability), hard-working and a very decent left-foot for crossing.

I can't stress how small Benny is but he has a very big heart and not short of some very very good banter. :D

8. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    HT and the U18 score is 1-0. Jordie Hiwula with the goal.

Team in the first half was:

1. Jordan Pickford
    2. Jack Stephans
    3. Daniel Potts
    4. John Lundstram(C)
    5. Adam Jackson
    6. Jack O'Connell
    7. Nick Powell
    8. Jordan Lussey
    9. Hallam Hope
    10. Jordie Hiwula
    11. Max Clayton

Subs.

12. Tyler Blackett
    13. Ben Garratt
    14. Jack Barmby
    15. Jordan Willis
    16. Ben Osborn
    17. Matt Lecointe
    18. Jack Dunn

9. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Changes for the seconf half are:

Ben Garratt replacing Jordan Pickford
    Tyler Blackett.replacing Daniel Potts
    Jordan Willis replcing Jack Stephens
    Jack Barmby replacing Jordie Hiwula

10. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Hallam Hope scores. Matt Lecointe replaced Nick Powell and scored 4 mins later to make it 3-0.

Dunn also has replaced Lussey.

11. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Osborn replaces Hope on 69th min.

12. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
  13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I was going to go to this but ended up running late. Still wish I'd gone now. Apparently it was a great atmosphere. 6000+ fans and the Polish fans were letting off flares.

The FA are going to put up highlights today.

14. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    was going to ask if you made it out Barry. next time, next time.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  17. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    full credit to Clayton for making that 1st goal happen.

will be interesting to see who makes the cut to the core group...

18. Alvin Row

Alvin Row Member

May 19, 2011
    Nick Powell on a hat-trick. He's notching up a fair few goals now. Anyone think he'll move on next season?

19. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    won't be surprised, city or liverpool will get him, sadly will be a bad move. But kudos to them for staying at alex this season to play games. Need more of the same from others too, very positive.

ps: Barry had a stat that Crewe had 9 from the academy today among 10 outfielders *drools*

20. Alvin Row

Alvin Row Member

May 19, 2011
    City would be a terrible move in my opinion. Of the top six, only with Arsenal might he get some game-time. A good Championship side might not be a bad move.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I can't think of another player under 18 that has scored 10 goals in one season in the Football League. Wickham got 9.

Usually Dario is quite fussy on which club his younger players go to. Making sure they will get games etc but Crewe need the money.

22. Alvin Row

Alvin Row Member

May 19, 2011
    Chamberlain got nine as well, right?

I saw Powell's goals on the Football League Show. Both peaches.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He got 8 but only 4 in the league.

24. NilDesperandum

Feb 10, 2011

No bad, not bad! but Powell is scoring in the 4th division of English football, let us not forget, no great shakes really, but hope he gets further England national chances

25. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    scoring *regularly and proving himself. essentially the same process many PL loanees have to go through.