England U-16 Discussions Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Oct 3, 2008.

1. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I thought this would be a test for us as Japan have improved a lot in recent years, playing in a quick technical style and have produced quite a few talents now. Good experience for our lads this.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    That is true. Not sure on our line up today though.

3. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    You are right. Many ignorant people would probably think that this England team should suck because they get outplayed by Japan but the truth is that Japan are becoming a real force in football. The sport has become really popular there especially since the world cup in japan in 2002.They have a huge population of around 125 million people and are famous for being hard workers so it increases the chances for success.Last year, Japan u17 were great in the world cup u17. Most of the youth teams have done really well in the last 5(maybe +)years in youth tournaments.The senior team of Japan has won 3 of the last 4 Asian Cups.They did great in the world cup and in friendlies vs Argentina and England.More and more Japanese players start playing for big European teams.Kagawa,Honda,Miyaichi,Takashi,Uchida,etc.

4. Fanzz

Fanzz Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Results yesterday

France 3 Mexico 1
    England 1 Japan 1
    Russia 3 China 1
    USA 4 UAE 0 (not Portugal V UAE as scheduled)

5. DeanoArsenal

DeanoArsenal Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Heard today that Arsenal U15's were extremely rude and arrogant at the Nike Cup and this was also true for the coaching staff. This backs up what Juni heard from his source and it is extremely worrying to be honest. I feel that staff are so comfortable in their jobs at Arsenal and especially under Liam Brady. Our head scout and some coaches left due to Brady and i'm not sure exactly what he brings to the academy.

Our Academy doesn't need an overhaul but it definitely needs to be freshened up with new staff, ideas. We updated our Academy in 1998 but many clubs have since matched us and overtaken us. Will the club do this? Very much doubt it.

6. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    What did they do ?
    As a player, u need to have a little bit of arrogance to make it at the highest level. All the great players have it.

As for the many clubs have overtaken us thing, I cant see how that's true. We have 3 players playing for England u17. 2 players for England u16. Lansbury, Afobe, Yenaris( and maybe aneke ) also play for the youth teams of england. Frimpong, Wilshere and Gibbs are playing in the Premier League. We are better than ever before.

7. DeanoArsenal

DeanoArsenal Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently, they were very rude and disrespectful throughout the whole tournament. This is just one eye witness account.

Our Academy is good and we do produce some good players. Some clubs have overtaken us, and a lot of others have matched us. I want our Academy to be as good and productive as it can be and I believe there are some aspects that need to be improved upon and there are somes factors not allowing/willing us to do this.

8. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Who do you think are better than us ? Liverpool who since the summer of 2009 have the two Barca youth coaches ? Man City and Chelsea ?

9. Fanzz

Fanzz Member

Oct 10, 2011

I would take the quote which seems to stem from someone going under the twitter name of @Talkinoutmyarse with a hugh pinch of salt.

agree however that Arsenal could do with an overhaul in the academy with some younger blood coming in with fresh ideas.

10. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He wasn't the original source. The source was a coach of one of the other clubs at the competition.

11. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Not sure about the players but their parents were definitely quite arrogant i heard, from multiple club players parents. Heard they were shouting so much that you could barely hear the coach(sideline coaching).

Anyway, back on topic, heard some good review on Sheyi Ojo, he was very good, kept things simple & neat, nothing fancy but more effective, keeps possession very well & rarely gives it away. Think he's doing fine.

12. Fanzz

Fanzz Member

Oct 10, 2011
    He was certainly spreading the rumour on twitter without mentioning what was said/done. I also certainly would be wary of other coaches from different clubs as there is always a bit of friction involved. (I have also heard the same said about chelsea's academy on occasions).
    Half of these players represented the premier league recently in Barcelona and unless anyone knows any specific's I think it's best not to castigate 15 year old boys in their major youth tournament.
    They certainly wouldn't be doing themselves any favours as the Nike cup is full of Club scouts, england scouts and addidas/nike reps looking for talent to sponsor.

13. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    erm but then why parents of many other players participating would say the same? So far Ive heard similar from a blackburn players dad, one from Palace, everton & another supposed scout of an unnamed club.

14. Fanzz

Fanzz Member

Oct 10, 2011
    What were they saying? I wasn't there but know people who were - so far no-one has mentioned anything specific the boys did - so as I said in my last post best not to castigate players without mentioning what supposedly happened.
    I know Liam Brady, David court and Roy Massey were all watching the matches over the last 3 days and they don't tolerate bad behaviour.

15. Fanzz

Fanzz Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Todays Results

Cameroon 0 Mexico 2
    Portugal 3 UAE 0
    Japan 1 Morocco 1
    China 2 Ivory coast 1

Therefore a will will put england in last 4 for montaigu cup

16. gunner-zp

gunner-zp Member

Dec 16, 2010
    England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    assume players that didn't start will tomorrow, Iwobi, Bryan and Crowley confirmed they are

17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thoroughly agree.

18. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    yeah that's why mentioned not sure about players behaviour(which would be inappropriate to judge at this age), it's their parents who have had all the stick so far.

Heard Arsenal have got a cameroon u13 from Barca, that does not help. & is the supposed wonderkid many mention here, named Tolaji(he's one of the two who play above their age group)?

19. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Think WBA's Izzy Brown could be a shoe-in for victory shield squad next time, rave reviews about him. Ojo is the other, anyone knows details of the Fulham lot, there should be a good presence from them also.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I haven't really been following the Nike Cup but an Everton player said he was impressed with two players from his group. Liverpool's Jordan Rossiter who was capped during this campaign (very brief performance though). Arsenal's Denzeil Boadu was the other player he mentioned.

21. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Yes Rossiter did well also, he's still u14 briefly. Wonder if Arsenal had that team format like the PL tourney out there, big center halves pacy wingers & forward. Sadly that negativity took my attention off their performance.

mentioned Izzy Brown coz he looks older & bigger than usual 14-15 yr old players, but he was very good. Some good no 10 players on show there, although many said the overall level/quality was not as good as last year.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  23. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I'm not even from UK, so no chance of that. Knew a range of people & contacts, coupla Blackburn & Palace players parent, usual people, some other who were volunteers/working for different teams at different departments at Warwick. Plus the person who did the updates for Chelsea & WBA games, Aidan Sweeney, helped a lot. Got views from a scout & a coach too.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Ah right. Looking back I think I've just read your previous post wrongly. Sorry :)

25. DeanoArsenal

DeanoArsenal Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is the Nike Cup strictly for 97's so outstanding 98's can't be played up a year?