England U-16 Discussions Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Oct 3, 2008.

1. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Well we get so many imigrants and asylum seekers in our country now i'm not surprised we are getting players from foreign decent coming into our youth systems and national squads, just look at Benik Afobe...

As for Daniel Welbeck, he was born here in Manchester, learned football trade and has gone through Man U's youth system and all levels of our national youth system. So imo, he kinda owes us and we should be his first option, which is why i'm a bit pissed that a Ghana official suddenly came over to persuade his family to get him to play for them straight after he scored on his debut. But now he is playing more regularly and is in the under 21's, who are going to the Euros. I would find it highly surprising if he turned his back on us, after all we have done for him.

Another example is Zeli Ismail, his parents came over from Serbia when he was 10 as asylum seekers and he joined Wolves youth system...though he hadn't been in any other youth system prior iirc, but he wasn't born in our country too.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't have a problem with kids who have come to England at a young age like Ismail.
    Cofie was picked out by an English club at a tournament in Germany though.
    I don't think that is right and it's even cheating to an extent.

If clubs go abroad and pick the best players it sets a dangerous precedent if they then play for the national team of said country.

3. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    The irony is this friendly is going to be played against Germany, heh.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We'll have to find somwhere placing bets on this game as he is bound to score ;)

5. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Maybe he will do a Ryan Giggs and change allegances when he is older...Giggs initially captained our national schoolboys.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think you only had to be going to a school in England to represent England schoolboys though. So it didn't matter what nationality you were.
    Not certain though.

7. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Giggs never really could play for England as has been told a million times before.

Ra'vel and Thorpe have impressed more than Cofie so far in their limited appearances for the U-18s.

8. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Ismail from Wolves is kosovo albanian.
    No way would he be turning out for Serbia. Maybe Albania might want him.

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    http://www.thefa.com/England/U16s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2009/02/U16vGermany_SwainPreview.htm

10. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    The game has been called off. Hopefully another friendly against another nation can be arranged quickly before the Montaigu Tournament.

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  12. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I find it wierd that Burnley would beat Bundesliga teams to the signing of the guy. :confused:

Everton have signed 15 year old Femi Orenuga from Southend. Manchester United were also supposed to be interested.

13. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Burnley is a strange choice for the player.
    Must have offered him a sweet deal.

14. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    A new squad has been named for the Montaigu Tournament which takes place on April 8th. The two new players called up are Arsenal's Nicholas Yennaris and Blackburn's Alex Billington, with Manchester United providing four players, the most from any one club. Full squad can be seen here.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I've not had a proper look at the squad yet but it should be a good challenge with the different types of teams in that group.

16. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    England got off to a good start today in the Montaigu tournament, beating Russia.

http://www.thefa.com/England/MensUnder16s/NewsAndFeatures/2009/U16EngRussia_report.aspx

It's interesting to see McEachran in this team too after playing in the Euro U-17's. Though he was largely a substitute. Getting a lot of experience internationally is always a plus though.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We beat UAE 3-0 today.
    Ivory Coast drew with Russia, so we need to avoid losing against Ivory Coast to progress.

18. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    The FA website have finally updated their section with this victory.
    http://www.thefa.com/England/MensUnder16s/NewsAndFeatures/2009/UAE_report_100409.aspx

It would have been nice if they could include there starting line up.

19. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Final in Montaigu on Monday: England-Germany.
    England won the last game 3-0 against Cote d'Ivoire, Germany 2-0 against France

20. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    England did win against the Cote d'Ivoire, as Icke pointed out.
    http://www.thefa.com/England/MensUnder16s/NewsAndFeatures/2009/ivory_coast_report_110409.aspx

The final will be played against Germany tommorow at Montaigu, kicking off at 4:30pm.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Good news. Especially considering two of the best players from this group were promoted.

Also Wickham from Ipswich who played in the Victory Shield was on their bench yesterday. I've not checked if he got on yet.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Just checked he came on in the 66th minute.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I've just found this article -
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...tuff-insists-tractor-boy-wickham-1667216.html

24. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    England beat Germany on penalties today to successfully defend their title as champions of the Montaigu Tournament.
    http://www.thefa.com/England/MensUnder16s/NewsAndFeatures/2009/england_germany_report_130409.aspx