England U-16 Discussion Thread 2 [R] (2008 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 4, 2012.

1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Northern Ireland managed it, and they're ranked lower.

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm very disappointed with this group so far. It seems like they are very inconsistent. I still think they can win this group, but I won't be surprised if they lost their remaining games. Pretty much have to win out now.

3. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Compare the careers of our players and the Saudi players in 10 years time and you will wonder how on earth we could lose to them.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We can all agree I think that it hasn't looked very promising for this year group for much of the time. Looking at the squad before the game didn't inspire any confidence. The striking options seem very weak. A number of the defenders seem suspect.

Searching for optimism. I would say, it's still early days yet, some likely lads were missing, dead wood will be identified and cut out, and others will emerge and be included in the future. A few months into next season when more experience of u18 standard football kicks in, the dust will settle as to whether this group is up to it or not.

5. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As I said before judge these players in the Euro U17's qualifying campaign when it really matters

6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There are still a good amount of talented players that come to mind (my mind anyway): Willock (not playing ATM), Edwards, Wakefield, Dandha, Hinds (not playing ATM).

7. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In addition, I'd also add Diallo, Green and Oxford - and then there's Gribbin and even Leko.

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And I forgot Jay Dasilva.

Any word on today's game against S Korea yet? I see they drew 0-0 with Portugal the other day.

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    1-1 currently

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Finished 1-1. Hector Ingram with the goal for England.

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1061 W.A.S.P., Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    As it stands:

Portugal 4 pts
    Saudi Arabia 3 pts
    South Korea 2 pts
    England 1 pt

We could still possibly top the group, but it would take a miracle. We would need to win 2-0 against Portugal, which is not that improbable for our players, but it is based on their form right now. Plus S.A. and S.K. will have to tie 0-0 for all of that to happen. It will be hard for them to tie because both teams pretty much have to win.

In the other group, France shockingly lost to Canada 0-1 and then drew with Ivory Coast, which I would consider a slight pick me up for them. They are in last place as well. Ivory Coast is on top of the group with 4 points. Turkey and Canada both have 3 points, but Turkey in 2nd place because of goal difference. France are in last place, but cannot top the group because if Ivory Coast and Canada draw then I.C. will have 5 points and if they lose then Canada will come out with 6 points. Tough luck to not do well at your tournament.

England are very lucky to be in the position they are in. We will see if they can take advantage of it.

12. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We should be comfortably beating Saudi Arabia and South Korea and then battling it out with Portugal in the final game for top spot. This is so poor.

13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Canada and Saudi Arabia win then they will be in the final. Great for them, but that game will not be one for the neutral. Pretty pathetic. This tournament this year was almost tailor made for England and France to play in the final.

14. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Agreed because this group blows hot and cold far too often for my liking

15. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    yeah even though etc they are missing Edwards, Hinds, Willock etc they should have enough talent there to do better

16. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Callum Gribbin is injured ?

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  18. PL206

PL206 New Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Yeah he'll probably miss the whole of this season but be back for next in plenty of time.

Cevno repped this.
  19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Any news on tonight's Portugal game? Think it kicked off at 5.00pm.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    England have taken the lead in the 79th minute.

22. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Finished 1-0 to England. Not sure who scored.

The Guardian repped this.
  23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That's more like it. (It would seem)

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Adam Phillips with a free kick winner.

25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1075 W.A.S.P., Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    South Korea beat Saudi Arabia 2-0 which puts them atop the group and will play Ivory Coast in the championship game. England, despite all of our poor play, finished second, and will play France in the 3rd place game. That will be an interesting one. If we beat them then I think this will be an accomplished tournament. You can't say we played poorly overall if we beat the likes of Portugal and France. However if someone told us that prior to the tournament then you would assume we would have won it.

EDIT: Never mind. Portugal still has a +1 goal difference and we have a -1. That means we will play Turkey in the 5th place game. Well unless head to head matters then we would be in the 3rd place game. So England and Turkey rematch from last year in a much lower rated game.