England Senior Squad-general Discussions Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The team was balanced and kept possession the other night. But when Rooney and Gerrard come back all that balance will go out of the window .

2. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Parker is the biggest problem.

3. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Pirlo played and looked like a 33 year old when he 21.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Carrick has never been explosive lol

5. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Parker is indeed a problem. Dropping Rooney into the vacuum behind the front man that seemingly saps all his technique, strength and speed makes life even more difficult for the midfield.

I would like to see this tried. Cleverly almost as a false 9 wherein his main role is to offer an outlet to the deeper midfielders rather than looking to get behind the opponent's defence.

Johnson - Caulker - Someone Fast - Cole
    -------------Huddlestone--------------
    -----Rodwell(someone busy)-Wilshere---
    -------------Cleverly-------------------
    -----Rooney----------Welbeck-------

Huddlestone should be given a chance if only because of his ability to play the ball quickly and cleanly off both feet.

6. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Carrick will be the same player when he is 70.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's not the player Pirlo is, though, is he. Decent enough but there's a reason why he doesn't see the field every game for yanited with even Scholes and Giggs, (with a combined age of 77 years between them), being preferred on occasion.

Just scanning quickly through the stats here it seems he only started and completed about 30 games last season for yanited in all competition.

But, tbh, my point isn't that he's not a good player but rather that he's not someone we should be relying on ideally. I'd like to see some of the kids, like young Cleverly, being tried as I said before.

8. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I rate Carrick highly.. he had a poor season the year before last, but otherwise there are not many that are better than him at what he does. I'm excited for 2014 as long as we keep our squad fit, and I can't wait to see Wilshere back.

Personally I'd keep Walker at RB, he is ridiculously fast and although Johnson had a good tournament, I think Walker can be a world class RB in the future. I'd keep the midfield 3 of Carrick, Cleverley and Lampard.. but when Wilshere comes back I would swap him for Cleverley or Lampard probably.

Also Adam Johnson looked really good, he will be an important player for us now, and I'm glad that Hodgson rates him. Ruddy and Butland had good games as well which can't be ignored, I now feel confident in our goalkeepers.

My starting line up for the qualifiers if everyone is fit would be:

------------------Hart
    Walker---Cahill----Terry---Cole
    ------Carrick----Wilshere
    Johnson--Lampard---Young
    ----------Rooney

subs: Ox, Welbeck, Carrol, Gerrard, Cleverley, Lescott, Butland, Bertrand

9. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is a ridiculous post. Out of around 50 games in all competitions he started 37 games (playing 90 mins in 34 of them). He was one of Man Utd's most used players last season. Taking into account knocks, unimportant games, suspensions, rest etc, he played a lot, and was one of United's more important players (this coming from someone (me) who has criticised him many times in the past)

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can only count 26 completed league games in the prem, (out of a possible 38, obviously), when I look at it. :confused:

As well as the listing I gave before the listing here shows him as appearing in 41 games, (I'm not sure where your figure of 50 comes from, tbh:confused: ... you're not including pre-season friendlies and suchlike, are you?), but the other listing says 40 so I'd suggest that's probably about right. Either way if you then knock off the 6 or 7 he either didn't start or was brought off that's still not a spectacular level of confidence from his club manager, is it.

I'd say that's about 20-25% less than you'd expect from a player who's considered a stalwart of his club side, assuming his club side is competing in all competitions which I think we'd both agree yanited are.

11. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He was clearly United's most important CM last season Andy. There are no ifs and buts about that.

12. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Carrick's never been particularly good for England, I can probably find match threads on this forum where posters are saying he should never play again. I have a hard time thinking he's the answer.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hodgson needs a slightly different metality towards posession imo although carrick was a twat not playing in june

14. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Carrick can only play the way he is facing and is slow to get the ball out of his feet. If he was Spanish, he'd be totally unknown. On the plus side, his reading of the game is very good and uses body well to win possession. However, Huddlestone is a much better bet as an international midfielder than Carrick. A better and cleaner passer, and genuinely 2 footed.

15. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Rob Green is going to have a long season in front of that QPR defence I have just seen on MOTD. He was probably to blame for the first goal ,but the others were down to the calamitous defence.

16. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's been pants for England. Some of that has to do with the midfield compliment he had in some matches

17. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Which is why Carrick has had so much success in the champions league (and the likes of Xavi and Alonso keep saying that he would be admired more if he was Spanish) while Huddlestone is a bit part player for Spurs.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, by definition, that obviously wasn't true in the games he didn't play or only played for part of the match but, tbh, even if it WERE true, last season you had Cleverly injured for a fair part of it, Scholes
    came out of retirement and Giggs is... what is it? 38?

19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was surprised to see Rodwell starting today for Man City.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Carrick is infinitely better than huddlestone but he is still a good passer, just has the pace of a rocking horse, sandro looks better imo

21. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    still hoping wilshere can get back to fitness. He gave us a new dimension the times he turned out for us.

22. candywestin

candywestin New Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    AC Ajaccio
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The words i want to say is,I hopes to view the result of England Senior Squad's success!they are both excellent!they will meet the gain time!

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    After his give away for Soton's 2nd goal I doubt he'll start City's next game.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was pretty bad, wasn't it but the thing I also noticed was how slow the rest of his side were to get back. He deserves stick for that ball but quite a few of the rest of them need a good kick up the arse as well.

25. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    per the recent talk of Fat Huddlestone

he has joined Stoke on a season long loan- not sure his type of football will suit them and vice versa. Think a move abroad would have been better imo.