England Senior Squad-general Discussions Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Great shot by Defoe on the counter gives England the lead! 2-1!

2. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What a finish from Defoe! 2-1 now, it's just sod's law that we will probably win the game that means nothing.

Other than that, there is a massive improvement in our play, Cleverley and Carrick work very well in midfield, I hope to see those two being prominent from now on, with Wilshere to come back as well, makes it even better

3. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    2-1 FT. A win's a win, I guess. Hopefully Roy can learn something from it. I thought Milner was very good today on the Right.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The worlds third best team win again :)

Better work out than I thought it would be. Nice to see a few new caps and some decent individual performances.

5. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think our general play is a lot better with a 3 man midfield. The return of Carrick is also very important for us, we were doomed from the start when we had to rely on a 2 man midfield playing 90 minutes every game every 4 days in the Euros

6. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    welbeck's developement is going to be stunted with rvp arriving....

8. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Its promising that Hodgson gave some younger players a chance .

9. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    HODGSON : note to self - remember to pick a balanced midfield playing actual central midfielders!

I didn't catch the game - was Lampard playing as an auxillary midfielder making a compact 3? Or was he playing in the hole(or rather, the black hole where England are concerned)?

Was Cleverley as deep as Carrick when in possession?

Confident that Cleverley will be a good international midfielder.

10. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Maybe, but from Welbeck's physique he looks like a player who could easily burn out so perhaps it isn't a bad thing.

Having said that Welbeck can play any of the forward positions and RVP - cough *choker*- is made of glass.

11. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    This has been apparent since Italia 90 and was reaffirmed by Hoddle's England. I remember getting excited after seeing a young Gerrard play for England in a 3 at home to Ukraine in what was a very fluid team picked by Keegan of all people. Still baffled to this day as to why he decided to scrap it by the time the Euros came round. It's a little damning that I as a teenager could see the differences the extra man made yet most pundits and England Managers could not.

Rooney being played in the hole impinges on the balance of the England midfield. He should be either one of the front 3 or on the bench. Christ, I feel like a broken record.

SyedZada repped this.
  12. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    I do think with a fit Wilshere/Huddlestone that a diamond formation is an option. Still my favorite formation in football.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No width though and a diamond is possession based so we would struggle atm with hodgesons style of play! Imo anyway

14. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Next game in Moldova IIRC. We havent been there since the 98 qualifiers .

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It's a bit strange and not good. City are said to be after 5 young English players - weirdly Scott Sinclair is one.

16. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    True, but the full backs can provide the width as can the 2 forwards. I am rather imagining what I would do with the England side, rather than the Hodge.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    true, i wanted the diamond back in 06 to utilise lampard and gerrard and carrick but alas.....

18. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wondered about this as well as I didn't catch this one either. Soccernet had them lined up in 4-2-3-1 with Lampard and Carrick starting as the holding pair and Cleverly as the central attacking midfielder.

benni... repped this.
  19. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Yep my reading suggests the same, that Cleverly was for the most part the furthest forward of the 3 but that he covered for Lampard when he moved forward. Both smart players, they should work well together tactically although Lampard will be about 49 come the next World Cup. Still want to see Huddelestone, and of course Wilshere, as the deep lying player England. Carrick is too limited facing his own goal. That said, I would have no complaints seeing Carrick, Cleverly and Wilshere in a 3.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    imagine a trio of wilshere, carrick and cleverly

we might actually keep posession!

RobTheFool repped this.
  21. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    would love to see it.. How is Wilshere doing??

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Carrick's going to be 33 at the time of the next tournie though. Not sure we can rely on him for the future.

23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I honestly believe a fit Cleverly is why SAF hasn't signed the midfielder United fans have been clamouring for.

24. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I still hate Carrick. I'm not going to get over it any time soon. I think we could have beaten Italy if we had him.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Carrick can play at 33 in a deeper role look at pirlo!