England Senior Squad-general Discussions Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd like to see this lineup given a go (& subs) in the upcoming friendly. We need to find an answer for the first 2 matches w/o Roon..

--------------------------Hart-------------------------------
    Richards-------Cahill-----Terry---------Cole
    -----------------Jones------Carrick----
    Walcott/Ox---------Gerrard---------Young/Johnson

------------------------Welbeck

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    No problem with me. Spent most of my life being ridiculed for seeing things a bit differently, but also spent my life making money from it. Fine wine and beauties ease my troubled heart.

Go England!

I had forgotten Jagielka. He's a Roy type player. If he is healthy, definitely worth a look.

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Roy doesnt play youngins. forget it. He'll probably keep average age at 27 or 28, with one speed guy on the pitch and one on the bench.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    or we could play Roon at LB

really want to find the guy who invented Football Manager and punch him in the face

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    and this is based on your extensive knowledge as him other than a manager of Fulham correct?

6. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, the reason he didn't play the "youngins" at Fulham because most of them were shit.. The England squad is a different ball-game..

7. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not ridiculing you, it's just a laughable move... Not even Pearce is that tactically daft to play Parker as a rb..and that is saying something..

8. rubinkazan

rubinkazan Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah Parker's only decent role is defensive midfield, playing him anywhere else would defeat the purpose of having him in the squad

Id like to see a midfield trio of Parker, Scholes and Lampard

9. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Scholes ain't coming back...

10. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Squad drafted in 3 mins from available players - may have forgotten some.

Hart, Shilton, Banks

Johnson, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Caulker, Jones, Cahil, Baines,

Lampard, Carrick, Barry, Parker, Cleverley,

Young, Walcott, Lennon

Rooney, Welbeck, Carrol, Crouch

******** me that's appalling.

11. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Jesus i've included 4 average to gash CMs. So hard to choose between the dross...

12. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    What's the answer with Roon? I don't really want to see him in the hole and weakening central midfield.

13. joma05

joma05 Member

May 7, 2009
    Everybody knows Lampard and Gerrard don't work together in a 4-4-2 but how about in a 4-3-3

Gerrard--------Lampard
    ---------Parker-----------

Parker sitting freeing Gerrard and Lampard.

14. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Sven used to try this, and actually it worked fairly well against Portugal in 2006. But you would need a footballer alongside/behind those 2, someone comfortable in possession, so I would lean towards Barry or Carrick. Parker shouldn't be the deepest midfielder - he is a wrecking ball of a player, and should be given a free role to foul and tackle where he pleases. Parker, the anti TriChrista.

15. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Using a midfield of Barry(Parker) - Carrick (Parker) could be used as a defensive foundation, base to built things on, their jobs simple recycle the ball, win it back/protect the back and position themselves to make it hard for opponent to make it one on one in any position.
    The four infront and two fullbacks could be given alot more freedom based on such a defensive foundation, the top 4 could be interchangeable and have freedom to be creative knowing there is cover. You just have to manage with what you got, for e.g. playing Welbeck, Young, Walcott and Sturridge in Rooney absense as all four of them could probably play CF/wingforward/winger/SS, needs a bit of imagination and tactical work out though.

16. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    'reports' (believe them at your own peril) say that roy has turned down shearer as a memeber of the coaching team, said he wants someone younger but also someone that can contribute on the training pitch. im hoping this is sneaky attempt to get scholes in via the 'back' door. get him on board for a coaching role, but , hey, if he is going to the tournie, might as well give him a squad number, just in case.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why are united fans obsessed with telling people what we already know in an over elaborate manor?

18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Called a message board, remember, here to post and talk about football? Over elaborate perhaps because English isnt my first or 2nd language.

19. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Parker and Carrick is a nice mix in theory, but hearing their names together reminds me of the game in Croatia in 2006. That game shaped my opinion on Parker - he was beyond awful.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I'm not confident of having Parker in a midfield two if we are to play that formation. Can lack positional discipline and his style will be much harder to replicate after a long season and the added issue of playing so many games in a short space of time. It would be Barry and Carrick for me.

21. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    God knows what Hodgson will do. At LFC he liked to play the
    4-4-1--------------------------------------1 formation.

He hates defenders playing the ball out of defence and likes the team to drop deep and defend with all men behind the ball rather than pushing up to pressure the opponents in their half.

I am not liking this new BS Format.

22. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Parker looked decent when he was with Wilshere and lampard in Cardiff. Shame Wilshere wont be coming .

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    http://www.thefa.com/England/News/2012/dave-watson-goalkeeper-coach-european-championship.aspx

24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually I like this, Parker is a team player and yeoman.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ok, you're right. But if it comes to pass as I think it will, I'll be back just to say hello.