England Senior Squad-general Discussions Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I dunno. Isn't that the same opinion that most of us here hold? He is English I believe, or at least living over here.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just think posting a solitary one line post saying we've got no chance, with no further introduction or comment, probably isn't the way to make friends and influence people as a new member.

Hey! Maybe I'm just old fashioned... :(

Well, I am, obviously, but... :D

RoyOfTheRovers, fernb8 and sinner78 repped this.
  3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its so funny how so many people think England will get crushed yet we are hard to break down and in Uruguay's point of view we are favorites to advance. Same with Costa Rica.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, hang on a minute, we don't often get 'crushed'', as you put it. We had a 4-1 loss to Germany in 2010 but that wasn't helped by this...

What was noticeable about that, (apart from the 'goal' itself I mean), was just after when the krauts knock the ball forwards and we have a 1 v 1 with a German forward against JT, (I think it was).

That's pretty much how we spent the rest of the match, with us chasing the game throwing men forward trying to get back on terms.

There's NOTHING more depressing than watching Gareth Barry trying to run back towards his own goal, chasing Podolski, Khedira and Ozil. I mean, he's not exactly Usain Bolt, is he :(

If we'd scored then, just before half-time, and pegged them back to 2-2, (after having been down 2-0), the match could have been very different.

Well, at the very least it would probably only have been a 4-2 loss, wouldn't it. Don't really call that being 'crushed'.

If we can sit back and soak up pressure we HAVE got people who can score goals, bursting forward.

The problem is we lack ball retention in midfield and, in that heat and in that atmosphere, that makes the job harder than it should be.

5. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    just some attention seeker who cant get any legit attention with actual knowledge..
    As soon as I saw what was posted I filtered out his "content". The posts completely disappear and you can post as normal without having to read that s**** .

fernb8 repped this.
  6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I do not recall the last time England failed to make it out of the group.....and England have been in some tough ones before.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Depends if you mean major tournies including the euros or just WC's. If you do, probably turnip-heads go back in '88 or did we fail in 2000 under Keegan? IIRC didn't Germany also fail as well that time?

Don't remember the last WC though.

Well, when we've got there... y'know :(

8. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    four total posts in almost three months and that is one of them....

says it all really

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Keegan in 2000 - Phil Neville v Romania and all that. Everyone was so convinced that as we finally beat the Germans again then everything was ok - Forced them to look at themselves and their development programmes whilst we just trundled along.

Naughtius Maximus and fernb8 repped this.
  10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    World Cups....England always make it out of the group...

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For those living in the U.S. or not the UK, you can watch the brilliant documentary by Daniel Gordon "Hillsborough". It is an ESPN 30 for 30 film, which is part of a 8 film soccer series in the build up for the World Cup. I presume most of you know what is a about because of the title. However for those who don't know it is about the 96 fans that lost their lives in the worst stadium disaster in British history and how they are seeking and seemed justice for the 96 who perished.

Truly outstanding film.

usscouse repped this.
  12. Sleep tight

Sleep tight Red Card

Jul 9, 2013
    England will get out of the group. You are better than Uruguay in every position apart from striker and your strikers are above average. Italy will be harder as they are better than you in almost all positions.

13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope you are right mostly. I'm really worried about Candreva and Abate on the right side. They are very fast and skillful. However we could sneak a goal on them.

In regards to Uruguay we do have more overall talent than they do.

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Italy will slip up against a team they should hammer....they always do....in the qualification group for France '98 Italy won at Wembly, drew England in Rome and still lost the group to England....because they could not beat the teams they should have beaten...happens to them all the time....the reason they are not seeded this time around. England WILL make it out of this group for the simple reason that England will beat Costa Rica and the Italians/Uruguyans may not.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that's true, isn't it.

Maybe it's a case of them having difficulty playing against a side that sits back, is well organised and soaks up pressure, because that's what THEY normally do.

16. transbola

transbola New Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The statement is not wrong, I also think so, italy worth in the count, which is the European Cup two years ago, italy able to break, some games in the prediction italy will lose, they could prove to their game. (prediksi sepak bola)

17. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can see the Italy game ending in a draw. It's the Uruguay game that worries me more. We should have enough to beat them but Suarez can change the game in a second for them and given how we've struggled in our last 3 games (Germany, Chile, Denmark) I'm worried.

18. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm more worried about Uruguay... Italy are good, but nowhere near as good as they are making out on their forums lol. If we stop Pirlo, then I rate our chances to get a draw or a narrow win against Italy.

Our defence will need to have a massive game to stop Suarez and Cavani, though. Those two are far far better than anything Italy have in attack, and I can see us having problems keeping them out.

sinner78 repped this.
  19. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Uruguays 4-3-3 is serious. Not many defences can cope with suarez ,cavani and forlan .

RobTheFool repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed! We could have had a harder group but, tbh, we could also probably have had an easier one.

Italy and Uruguay won't be easy games. It just depends which England side turns up.

Don't know much about the current Costa Rican set-up but my guess is, if we can't beat them, we don't deserve to go through anyway.

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wouldn't be surprised to see if England, Italy, and Uruguay end up each having 5 points. They all beat Costa Rica and drawing each other. It will just come down to goal difference, which doesn't usually favor England because we are almost always never ruthless in big tournaments.

22. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Am I insane for thinking Harry Kane looks like a good possible selection ?

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A possibility I s'pose but, who would you leave behind?

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.

25. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It shows the lack of depth we have in this country when a player is being suggested for the World Cup squad after scoring only 3 goals. Its pleasing to see him score and lets hope he continues. To be fair there has been a lot of talk about Timo Werner making the Germany squad and he's only scored 4 goals in 30 games this season.