England Senior Squad-general Discussions Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Once again, you've become confused.

I wasn't answering a point someone else had made. I raised ANOTHER, separate but related, point that people should consider in regard to the story... that of where the clothes are made and by whom. You don't think that's relevant? Fine. That's your opinion... but DON'T try and claim it's a 'straw man argument' because it's not.

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you pay £90 for a shirt you have no sympathy from me. It is the prices of the kids shirts that bother me.

BobanFan and thebigman repped this.
  3. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so, how about that event in a couple months where 22 players chase around a round ball for 90 minutes. think it is in Brazil............. anyone heard of it?

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    is it called capitalism or Ravel Morrison?
    :p

I did see recently that there was a massive clear out of another ghetto/slum. Very similar to the preparations in South Africa.

5. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Welbeck scores a great goal against Bayern and has it disallowed. Harsh to disallow it if you ask me.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They said it was for 'high foot' but the same thing wasn't called when it was a Bayern player. Looks like a non-homer ref to me :(

And Welbeck buggers up a great chance but, to be fair, he made a terrific run and Wazza played a terrific pass.

7. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Welbeck can't be missing those chances!

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed... and after such a great run too.

If they can grab a goal Bayern might start getting nervous although, tbh, I still think it's their tie to lose home and away.

9. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...in-stunning-BLAST-at-Wayne-Rooney-and-England

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like the bit that says...

"Why does Ronaldo achieve what he achieves and Rooney doesn't?

Er... :cautious:

Cristiano Ronaldo, (excluding 'runner-up's') Major honours - 12
    Wayne Rooney, Major honours - 12

Oh yeah, that's TOTALLY different, isn't it Joey :D

I mean, we can compare their footballing talents... that's fair enough but that's NOT what he said.

As for the 'our players aren't world class' shtick... as I've mentioned before, the 2008 CL final started with TEN English outfield players but, in the same year, England FAILED to qualify for the European championships. Our problem isn't that we haven't got any world class players... it's that they usually fail to reproduce their club form for the national team or combine to be competitive as a side.

Again, that's NOT what he said.

Still, we don't have to look too far to see someone who's not world class, do we...

[​IMG]

Unless we're talking about a world class TWAT! :D

RoyOfTheRovers and lanman repped this.
  12. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well is not completely untrue, everybody knows Rooney isn't an irreproachable professional. Barton didn't say Wayne ain't got the talent to be world class but his off field behavior prevents him to be among the best of the best (you know the Messi, Ibra,C.Ronaldo) which is quite different than "blasting/ripping someone , actually under a certain point of view Joey is praising his him.
    I agree England had/has got world class players in the past 5/10 years the problem is the way those players were used or better not used.... The world class defenders (Campbell, Ferdinand, Terry and A.Cole) were used properly, the forwards (Rooney and Owen) too ...even though they didn't always delivered ...the problem were with the midfielders .
    I think we all agree in modern football if you can't keep the ball you have little chance to win something at the highest level ,Scholes and Carrick are the two whose style of play were more effective on the international scene , both have been incredibly badly used , Scholesy international career is a scandal ...just like Hoddle's one before him....
    I always thought the England's problem was cultural , but I am not so sure anymore because even two foreigners(Eriksson, Capello) failed to recognize and resolve the poor possession problems.
    Is not the fault of the Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard if they couldn't reproduce their club form with the three lions shirt on , they were/are just not what it required to make the difference on the international scene.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wtf?

Ps rooney isnt a tenth the player ronaldo is atm and if u compare peaks, ronaldo is infintely better

14. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  15. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trolling. Just saw an interesting article and saw no one posted anything about it. There's difference.

16. MUFC1

MUFC1 Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    English players lack technical ability, same old cliche I suppose but it's true. They have other what you might call "world class" attributes but a team that lacks technical ability/first touch/general skill is going to struggle to keep the ball and open teams up. But anyway a new wave is coming with the likes of Morrison, Roberts, Sterling etc and we should be excited!

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whether that's true or not, (Ronaldo clearly ISN'T infinitely better at his peak.... although I agree he IS better), isn't the issue.

The issue is he didn't SAY that he was a better player... he SAID he'd achieved more because of his hard work and dedication. That implies Rooney would have been a good as Ronaldo when we've no way of knowing that.

Barton's quite entertaining but that doesn't alter the fact he's a bitter and twisted non-entity who, frankly, is in NO position to talk about other people's failing.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  18. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    sums it up pretty well and probably why no one thought it was worth posting the article under YB decided it was "worthy"

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True, but ronaldo was infinitely better than rooney, those 06-09 teams were dominated by ronaldo. Rooney wishes he could score like ronaldo has these last 5 years and do what he has done at real....ferguson had to buy rvp to win the league last year

20. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jay Rodriguez will miss the rest of the season and the World Cup because of a torn ACL. Not really a blow I would imagine. Besides I don't think he would've made the squad. Hope he gets properly fit again. Usually when players tear their ACL they are never same.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, for the individual, it's a terrible shame but for the England side, probably not THAT relevant.

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Isn't Barton's brother serving a life sentence for murder...?? Barton is a fooking idiot of the very first order...

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good to see Smalling start tonight instead of Ferdinand.

24. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The boy done good.

There doesn't seem to be a sufficient understanding of the need for alert anticipation by defenders - as evident once United took the lead and put themselves in a great position.

Mugs never prosper.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They looked like they dozed off, tbh.

It's quite common after you score a goal but, tbh, even if they HAD held on for, say, 5-10 minutes, I don't think they could have held out for the rest of the game.

I don't know if he's following Moyes' instruction but de Gea KEPT on lumping it forward to Welbeck, (who was standing all on his lonesome), every time he got the ball. I mean, WTF'S he supposed to do with it, surrounded by about 4 players?

Mind you, that's how the defence played all night... lumping it forward almost every single time. No attempt to develop any play.