England Senior Squad-General Discussions Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by three lions, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Buying players without giving them a thorough medical is also somewhat foolish and risky. Arsenal did that with Yossi and Arteta. Their own Doctor has confirmed it.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    worked out better for us than buying henderson, downing and carrol though lol

rvp better win pfa player

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Poor Scott Parker might be getting set up for a mighty fall at the Euro's. Should be nowhere near a top six.

4. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Holt will give away 10 trillion fouls with continental referees.

Even Crouch does, but he at least has the technical side to his game too. Holt is so rugged.

5. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Most overrated player, he isnt even the one man standing this year for a poor team that got him the award last time. What does Carrick have to do to get any recognition, win the league perhaps or CL or be the only consistent midfielder for arguably the best side in the country for 5 years or the only midfielder.
    Replace Parker with Livermore in Spurs team and nobody will notice.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    carrick is for some reason always overlooked

much better season/player than limited scotty "pashunit" parker

7. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Has anyone of you seen Jack Colback play a few times, impressed me with calm style of football and also filled nicely at LB when required.

8. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    sorry to be pedantic but Yossi is on loan and not really purchased

really little risk if they take a player on loan without that much of a thorough medical imo

agreed. I think Holt would be an interesting selection but would probably get booked in the first five minutes. Besides the overall lack of ability this reminds me a great deal of the Kevin Davies debate

Carrick has been very solid and underrated this season and I am quite suprised he has not been talked about more.

he caught my eye at the start of the season but I have not seen a lot of him of late tbh

9. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good player, but not quite that quality in my opinion.

I was amazed how fell he filled in at left back in that City(?) game I think.

10. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also, as much as Carrick has been good this season, I really don't think he was pulling up any trees in the season or two before. In fact, he was linked with a move to Blackburn in the summer I believe.

11. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    No, he wasn't. Jaysus, Xavi called him United's most important player before the CL final because he was.

12. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Disagree, he was linked in the press with moves away, to Everton too I think.

United could definitely do with a creative midfielder slightly further up the pitch and Carrick at 29, logically in his prime was not high on the agenda back in the summer. If he could have been bait for either Modric or possibly Rodwell, I think he would have gone.

And if he was truly as important as that, for the best team in England, he would have easily displaced Gareth Barry in the England team! No doubt he's a good player, but he has looked better to me recently and is definitely not as good as the 'most consistent midfielder for five years' suggests.

13. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Press, Seriously? He is our only midfielder standing after 5 years, Hargreaves has come and gone, has played with a former winger in Giggs and widely known cant tackle Scholes and Fletcher without too many problems in a two man midfield as a DM.

Playing for English team is hardly a criteria these days.

14. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because he doesnt play up the field, he is our DM and has been for 5 years and we not only boast trophies in these but excellent defensive records in a 2 man midfield and no way we have ever ever thought about selling him.

15. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think constant speculation about a transfer is a fair barometer, without a player actually going what is there?

Hargreaves injured, Fletcher possibly more important up until his illness and Scholes is 2x the player of Carrick despite being unable to tackle.

'Left standing' is completely unfair, especially as there is no way United would be able to recoup an 18 million outlay on him.

Parker is far better at breaking up play if playing with another CM. Carrick is just a continuity type midfielder.

16. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You dont need to run around like headless chicken to break play which Parker does, when he was fit Hargreaves played Rm Scholes and Carrick played midfield. Fletcher is no way near Carrick in importance. United fans should probably know dont you think.

Continous speculation ? Transfer rumors ? Atleast say something concrete.

17. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Now there was constant speculation about a transfer :rolleyes:

Seriously stop making stuff up. He made 44 appearances last season, along with Scholes retiring at the start of the season and no replacements being bought, why would anyone even make up such a rumor?

18. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The blow that took him down was delivered by NY Red Bulls at Emirates...Hasn't been the same since.

19. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think I made that clear in my post? What concrete thing can I give you?

How about in the 2009-10 season when Chelsea won the league, Carrick only featured twice in the last nine when United were desperate for wins, which is partly WHY he was linked with a move away?

Secondly Hargreaves is a victim of his versatility (and went straight into the England team in that position over Carrick). How can the England team not be an accurate portrayal of a players ability if 3/4 different managers have picked players over him?

And thirdly, I also think someone who has seen Carrick play in the flesh can have an opinion on him. Knowing United fans as I do across my country/ the world, I do not think they are should be any more knowledgeable about a particular player than anyone else.

20. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Carrick does well for United, but disappears in an England kit. That said, I wouldn't mind him displacing Parker for damn sure..

21. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Most tackles in the premier league this season. Scott Parker.

What do you mean you don't need to run around like headless chicken?

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wenger: "Jack Wilshere will not play again this season and will not go to the Euros"

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed

in this current side I think he could fit the role where we desperately need some to pass and hold onto the ball as opposed to the runners and chasers

although I think we could have Zidane, Cryuff, Hagi and Maradonna in their primes running our midfield and Pearce would find a way to muck it up

24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    anyone shocked to hear this?

25. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm really not sure. In my opinion, Carrick is a 'poor man's Xavi' type player. He'll use the ball well but not offer much else, even in terms of assists (miserly two this season).

The Spain friendly perfectly encapsulated how a transitional England, unfortunately, will be successful in the near future. We are not going to tiki-taka the top teams in the world off the pitch, but we are able to outfight and out battle teams and have enough quality through the likes of Rooney to be at threat at the right end.

That said, if SCHOLES were to come out of a retirement it would be a whole different thing, as having someone who is in the 'world class' bracket of playing a pass (especially in a 4-3-3 with two quick wingers (oxlade, johnson(?) either side of a forward)) it would be alright!