England Senior Squad-General Discussions Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by three lions, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Various cyclists died after taking a blood doping drug (EPO I believe). Who knows eh
    maybe these players took a supplement that sparked off a cardiac arrest.

2. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    as far as i understand it, and can glean from reports, i think it's over exertion forcing the heart to overwork that causes some of this cardiac arrest.

on top of that, there are genetic issues as well - with individuals predisposed to a thicker heart wall, which doesn't allow for proper blood flow, and in turn...arrest.

ugh. awful to type and think about. thoughts and prayers with him and his family, of course.

3. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    An update on wilshere, his injury has fully recovered (so wenger says at least) and its just about returning his fitness. Still wont give a comeback date presumably because hes tired of having got it wrong so many times for whatever reason.

But he mentioned coquelin is the closest arsenal player to returning from injury and he is still "a few weeks away" from training, so that doesnt bode very well for wilshere then. Annoying as some usually reliable twitter sources revealed hes trying to get back for the qpr game in 11 days, as well as newspaper reports that claimed he is on course for a return by the end of the month

4. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Say Wilshere is fit ,Pearce would leave him on the bench or play him out wide.

5. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    big difference between being "fit" and being "match fit" to play at a euro championship level....

6. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    plus, you can be as fit as ever but break down again. this is what im expecting about 10 minutes into the france match. feel free to repost this message at 19.10 on the 11th of june.

7. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    You have to take a chance on a player of wilshere's stature. You cant leave him behind.

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    You can if he's no where near his best....fail to understand how an "ankle injury" can lead to someone so young being out so long...

9. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    The Arsenal medical staff have badly mismanaged his injury. He got injured in pre season when Wenger decided to pretend he wasnt still carrying a knock.

If he comes back ,plays some games.. we will have to pick him.
    If he doesnt play any league games obviously we wont pick him.

10. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That really is pretty saddening... maybe showing my own age but for someone so young to go through it is pretty devastating to see to me. A big part of it is genetics though as well. It's happened in some US sports as well, and regardless of where it seems to happen the feeling is still the same -just the shock of it and seeing the player go down. Sincerely hope he'll be alright. He and the player for Barcelona that's facing I think a liver transplant... just real world things that can happen to people that put mortality to even the world of footballers.

Some time ago, maybe 12 years there was a US boy, Ben Olsen, who looked like he was really on the rise. A pretty fair quality winger at the time as well he seemed to be carving out a future with the US and did well for them in the Olympic games in 2000 for them too. He had a stint at Nottingham Forest too that was successful. But then he had a bad ankle injury that may have been mismanaged, and his speed was gone, his career forever changed. He was perhaps 22 or 23 at the time I think. Hopefully the same won't happen to Wilshire but it does have precendent.

11. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I think it was Ivan Klasnic who had a liver transplant and came back to play. Muamba will probably have to call it quits unless he finds a way around his problem. Seem to recall Kanu having heart problems but he kept on playing .

12. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    What a goal from Crouch. He has to be in the squad for the Euros.

13. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    disabled people are organising protests as we speak!

15. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Hod had decent tactics but a terrible man manager..
    Also picked a horrible squad for WC 98 .Leaving out all our flair players like gazza ,le tissier ,etc

16. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    why does no one ever mention our loss to romania when they talk about hoddle? he took a pretty awesome england team from 1996, a southgate too far from a trophy, to mediocre shit that got outplayed by a bunch of part time squatters and bar staff. the argentina game we played well but i still wouldnt have bet on it not going to pens even with 11 v 11.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I would take Hoddle over Pearce anyday. I would take Barry Fry over Pearce though.

18. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Romania knocked the Argies out of the 94 world cup. They were no mugs with players like Hagi ,popescu ,petrescu.. etc

19. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Hodd was a cut above mugs like Taylor ,Keegan ,etc
    an OK manager .

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He was quite negative with Batty and Ince holding in alot of games. He only changed that against Colombia after the Romania loss. I still wish he'd took Gazza. Deserved it for the Italy away game.

21. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Not taking Gazza = worst selection mistake I can remember . Killed our squad spirit as well .

22. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Sure, Gazza not being included was a massive disappointment. Equally the omission of Le Tissier, all the more so given that he'd scored a hat trick in the B team game against Russia prior to the squad selection.

I would say Hoddle was a very good manager for England, and the football his team played was the best I've seen in my lifetime as an England fan.

What I liked most about Hoddle was that he didnt seem to pander to the media, and he picked players solely on their technical qualities. He would also work with the players (apparently developed Owen's turn), encouraging them to be bolder in possession.

However, tactically I wonder if Hoddle may struggle these days. One advantage of the formation he played was that England invariably had an extra man in central midfield, whereas now even Brazil pack the midfield.

Still, I would have no qualms were Hoddle to take the helm, and would be very interested in what kind of squad and formation he would pick.

If Beckham hadn't let his country down and if Scholes hadn't missed a sitter when 2-1 up v the Argies who knows who far England could have gone in 98.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Crouch's goal against Man City considering the updates we get on this board pertaining to other English players' weekly exploits. Worthy of Marco Van Basten, and if Rooney had scored it would already have been anointed goal of the season.

Shame Crouch is so immobile, but I would still like to see him tried out when flanked by unadulterated pace and with a driving player from midfield running off and beyond him.

Or, alterantively, at the head of a team set up to control the middle 3rd of the pitch a la Benitez. Only problem with this is that it would almost certainly lead to penalties...

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I commented on Crouch's goal but it must have been on twitter. Goal of the season imo. I don't think that means he should go to the Euro's though. Don't think he's been good enough this season, although Stoke's style doesn't actually suit him that well even with his size.

I wouldn't have an issue if he did go but it's hard to say until we have a manager and know what sort of style and formation we will play. This is pretty much why the senior section is pretty dead.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I thought Hoddle did well too but like I said before he got too negative and that meant our squad ended up a bit predictable and we didn't have the creative options at least on the bench to change it when he could have picked them.

We played some good football but he arguably had a more talented selection of players to pick than anyone after that tournament.

25. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Surely Holt will fight for the big man role, he's got decent technique as well.