England national team

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by usa3por2ft, Aug 20, 2013.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Jordan has a back injury and is out until April at least. Gemma is fit, bizzare to see her dropped.

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Mark Sampson has permanently named Stephanie Houghton as captain. She replaces Casey Stoney.
    It might be the end of the road for Stoney with the likes of Bronze, Bonner and Flaherty competing at center-back.

vanjory repped this.
  3. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    That's good to hear, though its a change. As a player, she has great talent though. Hopefully for the England WNT, new captain, new start with a new Coach, Mark Sampson!

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Latest England for the qualifier v Ukraine

Goalkeepers
    Rachel Brown-Finnis (Everton), Siobhan Chamberlain (Arsenal), Carly Telford (Notts County)

Defenders
    Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Sophie Bradley (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida), Casey Stoney (Arsenal)

Midfielders
    Remi Allen* (Birmingham City), Anita Asante (Malmo), Jade Moore (Birmingham), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Dunia Susi** (Notts County), Fara Williams (Liverpool)

Forwards
    Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Jess Clarke*** (Notts County), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Kelly Smith (Arsenal)

* replaced Birmingham City's Karen Carney
    ** replaced Manchester City's Toni Duggan
    *** replaced Notts County’s Ellen White

Brown is back :eek:, Clarke is back as she has scored a lot recently (7 in 6 games) and first call-up for Remi Allen in great goalscoring from for Birmingham

5. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Are Carney, Duggan and Bradsley all injured ?

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Carney and Duggan injured, Bardsley just came back to play last week

Gromit06 repped this.
  7. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So in all England there are only four goalie .......interesting.......Gemma Davison has been definitely dropped :eek:???
    Susi's back , Kelly Smith still in the squad (like really Mark??...:cautious:) I'm just waiting Sue Smith, Yankey, Rahce Unitt or why not even Faye White and Mary Phillip to be called soon.... :laugh::laugh::ninja:.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    England 4 Ukraine 0

They had a couple of injuries so Sampson used a 4-4-2 with diamond midfield. It didn't really work because 1-0 up at half time although Aluko missed 2 sitters.
    Then they scored early thanks to 2 set pieces and game over.
    Players are far more comfortable in 4-3-3.

9. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    I have a feeling that 4-3-3 is more adapted to Women's Football philosophy, because it's a more generous system than 4-4-2.

10. cha-cha

cha-cha New Member

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Disappointed that Gemma Davison wasn't even in the squad, has been playing brilliantly for liverpool so far this season, I wonder why Sampson has dropped her?

11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There is a good interview with Ancelotti in a recent France Football about the difference between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3, a good read.

Most of the team I see play 4-3-3, obviously France under Bergeroo is 4-4-2 and that diamond used yesterday was probably a one-off.
    I think a couple of teams use 3-5-2 in England from time to time.

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It is bizzare, if Gemma turns up at the Chelsea Arsenal game, I will ask her if she knows why :)

13. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    My preference goes to :

- If you play against a strong or equal opponent : 4-2-1-3
    - If you play against a weak team and you perfectly know that you will largely dominate : 3-1-2-1-3 or 3-1-3-3
    The ideal being still 4-2-4. We never saw as many goals as during this period of time with Hungary and Brazil in the 1950's.

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Tactical awareness was different at the time, football was less cynical. You can see some form of 4-2-4 in knock-out games when one team needs to score and goes all guns out. But the difference between 4-4-2 and 4-2-4 is just 5 meters in the position of the wingers...

guignol repped this.
  15. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Your'e right, it's moving.
    For instance I don't think that Bergeroo's France plays in real 4-4-2 ins spite of what he pretends, but more in 4-2-2-2 and sometimes in 4-2-1-3. Thomis never plays as a MF but as a winger.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    describing a formation as a 4-4-2, a 4-3-2-1 or a 4-3-3 is as simplistic as calling a gov't democratic, federal, monarchic... there are as many different constitutions as there are nations. in fact, the same players in the same nominal formation can even play very differently from one match to another.

of course, it the formation is 5-4-1, you pretty much know what you're getting. :D

17. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    You're right... in theory (not about the nations, there you're fully right). Many teams and coaches never change their way of playing, whatever is happening during the course of the game. Remember France 98 or Mourinho's Chelsea. In 1998, Jacquet forbid Blanc to go forward against Paraguay during the "Golden Goal-Extra-Time"... Fortunately, Lolo didn't listen to him... ;)

18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Mark Sampson has selected 32 players for the friendly against Sweden on the 3rd of August

GoalkeepersKaren Bardsley (Manchester City), Siobhan Chamberlain (Arsenal), Rachel Brown-Finnis (Everton), Carly Telford (Notts County)

Defenders
    Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Sophie Bradley (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Casey Stoney (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida), Claire Rafferty (Chelsea)

Midfielders
    Anita Asante (Malmo), Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Jade Moore (Birmingham City), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Liverpool), Jo Potter (Birmingham City), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal)

Forwards
    Karen Carney (Birmingham City), Dunia Susi (Notts County), Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Jess Clarke (Notts County), Gemma Davison (Liverpool), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Fran Kirby (Reading), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Kelly Smith (Arsenal), Jodie Taylor (Washington Spirit), Danielle Carter (Arsenal).

Rafferty, Potter and Nobbs are back. Potter was last selected in 2007 :eek: , she retired from International Football due to problem with Hope Powell.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I like this tactic...at least they will have the Swedes severely outnumbered. :)

Morris20 repped this.
  20. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This is a bizzare way of selecting players. I will ask him if I see him at a game.

22. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Please do. It is bizarre and I don't know what is exactly the point of doing it this way.

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm jut glad to see Jody Taylor's name up there. She's yet to play for Sampson, but why doesn't he know he's sitting on a gold mine? In just one year; she scored 10 goals in 10 games in the Swedish League. Led the league in scoring in Australia & is currently 3rd in the NWSL. That's 3 different teams, 3 different coaches, which she has consistently produced for.
    Can understand that she hasn't played for personal reasons, but then what a other major country has their very best player sit out so much like Taylor has for England?(excluding injuries off course!)

24. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Taylor's statistics are really impressive wherever she plays. She was on a preliminary roster before and didn't make it to the final squad. We'll see if she's gonna make it this time. I hope so.

Morris20 repped this.
  25. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Final 23-player roster is out:

Goalkeepers
    Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Rachel Brown-Finnis (Everton), Siobhan Chamberlain (Arsenal).

Defenders
    Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Alex Greenwood (Everton), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (University of South Florida).

Midfielders
    Laura Bassett (Chelsea), Jade Moore (Birmingham City), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Liverpool).

Forwards
    Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Karen Carney (Birmingham City), Jess Clarke (Notts County), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Fran Kirby (Reading), Lianne Sanderson (Boston Breakers), Dunia Susi (Notts County), Jodie Taylor (Washington Spirit).

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/w...n-hartlepool-united-fara-williams-caps-record

vanjory repped this.